Menu

Military people... question about active duty

Unicorn.

How do I find out if my father in law qualified as active duty?  

My son is going to Boys State  next month, and they offer a scholarship for descendants of active duty personnel.  

I know he graduated college in 1953, and was drafted by the air force.  

When he passed away 3 years ago,  he got the flag draped coffin and buglers.  And I know he was considered a vet (as opposed to my dad who was in the guard, but didn't deploy), but I don't know if he ever went to Korea, so i don't know if my son qualifies for the scholarship.  

And my mil wouldn't know the difference, so asking her wouldn't help.  

Start with the web site of the Military Personnel Records center in St. Louis, MO.  They are in charge of all records.  However, please understand that many thousands of records were destroyed or damaged, mine included, in a huge fire, many years ago. They also have information about other places where the records might be, depending on the branch of service. However, I suspect if my records were in another location (Colorado) that they Forwarded my request to the other location, because I know that the only request I made was to St. Louis.   It could be that your son, or, your DH, will need to be the person who requests the records. They have various laws to comply with with regard to release of records.  I was able to get copies of my records, a year or two ago, when I requested them, much for the same reason that you are interested in getting the records of your FIL.  The records, if you can get them, will have a listing of the time he was on active duty, schools attended, promotions, etc.  I doubt that he was drafted into the U.S. Air Force, however, possibly at that time, they were drafting people into the USAF.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

ETA: If you can get his USAF Serial Number (if you have his "dog tags" that number will be on them) that will help them locate his records much more quickly. If not, you will need his Social Security Number, date and place of birth, etc., etc.  

Are you talking about the Samsung American Legion Scholarship?  If so, they don't have to be Active Duty. They have to have been on active duty during one of these time periods:

The Rules and Conditions under which the scholarships are awarded and the program administered shall be: 
1. Those eligible to apply for the scholarships shall be students who are direct descendants of U.S. wartime veterans who served during one or more of the 
periods of war officially designated as such by the United States government: World War I - April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918; World War II - December 7, 1941 - 
December 31, 1946; Korean War - June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955; Vietnam War - February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975; Lebanon and Grenada - August 24, 1982 - July 
31, 1984; Panama - December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990 and Persian Gulf War - August 2, 1990 to cessation of hostilities as determined by the United States 
government. Information that may assist you in obtaining proper military documentation is located on page 8/8 of this application.

And they are incredibly flexible about the proof:

Obtaining proof of military service:

Documentation may include, but is not limited to copies of, Department of Defense documents, Department of the Army 
documents, Department of the Navy documents, Department of the Air Force documents, Department of Veterans Affairs 
documents (federal or state), American Legion documents, Obituaries, and entries in a family Bible or Holy Scriptures. 

I found this info on the application itself.

Are you talking about the Samsung American Legion Scholarship?  If so, they don't have to be Active Duty. They have to have been on active duty during one of these time periods:

And they are incredibly flexible about the proof:

I found this info on the application itself.

Yes, the Samsung scholarship.  I know he was drafted during the Korean War, but didn't know if he was considered active duty just by being drafted, and doing basic training... I'm pretty sure he never made it to Korea, but might have possibly gone to Germany.

Yes, if he had military honors at his funeral, then he was a veteran.

Also, what you need to "prove it" is a copy of the DD 214.

Umm, and where would we get a copy of that?  

Although, if Danestress is correct, maybe I just need a copy of his obit?    

Could someone at our local American Legion help, or do I need to go through his?   I guess I should just have ds email his AL rep.

Okay, had bil do some digging and found out he wasn't considered active duty until 54, so ds doesn't qualify.  Boo.   :(

According to the PP, the Korean War qualification was 1950 - Jan 1955.

Keep looking - I'm sure he would be extremely proud to know his service provided this additional benefit to your son.