Menu

SWB writing recommendations and CAP Writing & Rhetoric levels 7-12

Kuovonne

I was looking at SWB's writing recommendations for WWE and WWS

( http://phpgo.to/wwerec ) and on page 3 her "third progression" suggestions

for tenth and eleventh grades are "Classical Academic Press, Writing & Rhetoric" Books 7-12.

Is this the same "Classical Academic Press, Writing and Rhetoric" series

that is getting a lot of bandwidth recently?( http://classicalacademicpress.com/writing-rhetoric-1/ )

But doesn't that series have only books 1-3 out so far?

How can SWB know enough about that series to recommend the second half of it?

Is SWB refering to a diffferent series of books?

Or are those later books already available?

Or was she able to see a preview that is unavailable to the general public?

Or, or, or???

I just did the sample of the first book in the W&R series (Fable) with my 5th grader.

She really enjoyed these three lessons, and I am very pleased with the results,

so I will continue the book with her.

I asked this same question, hoping maybe SWB knew something we didn't . . .  but apparently that's not the case, I think she's just listing it as a potential alternative based on the S&S that CAP has published.

So yes, it is the series you are thinking of, and yes, just the first 3 books are out so far (book 4 to be released in June, and two per year after that).

I agree, this is a great series.  I'm using Fable with my younger and Narrative 2 with my older.  I've been raving about it a lot here lately, I certainly hope it continues to live up to its early promise!  ;)  :D

• 1 month later...

I saw on another thread that the entire series has already been written and released somewhere else in the world and that the books are currently being rewritten for the American market.  I would say it is safe to assume that SWB has seen the later books from the other edition.

Where would it have been written an released that no-one on the hive would have recognised it? I think there are members or at least lurkers here from most countries.

Unless it has been written for a private classical school and are being updated based on that pilot-run.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know why Writing strands is no longer recommended?  I used it with my older ds and he turned out to be a fairly decent writer, though it was like pulling teeth when we were going through it.  Why the switch?  Just something new?

ETA: Maybe I need to find or post another thread, but what about the other curricula that use the progymnasmata such as Classical Writing?  I am using WWE and parts of SL LA with my 8yo right now, and not certain where we are headed with writing.  I just know WWE (at this time) does not seem to be very creative writing oriented and that is what dd loves right now.  I want her to build a solid base and have a strong foundation, but I also want all aspects of writing covered without excessive hand-holding.  Am I asking too much?  CAP's line goes through 9th at best, then what??

Not sure except maybe the reasoning is that it contains a lot of creative writing?  More creative writing than expository type writing? 

That is my only guess.  I tried a couple of levels.  We weren't crazy about it here.  But hey whatever works.

I suppose that is one thing I am wondering.  WWE is a good program, no complaints or criticism.  However, it is not creative.  So wouldn't it stand to reason that following it, or using it in conjunction with WWE/WWS would be a good thing?  Especially since it was the "original" WTM rec?  I suppose I just want to stick with something.  I know not every program works for every kid and all that jazz, but a program that is complete through high school is preferable, as is something that is not "new".  I'm not so big on new, lol!  I much prefer tried-and-true!

I have been wondering about these recommendations as well. I have also been wondering if Writing and Rhetoric includes high school, or if it is only a middle school program. The CAP recommended grades for this program go up to grade 8-9, yet SWB has it recommended for grades 10/11. 

Hard to know when there is no description of the upper levels.

I saw on another thread that the entire series has already been written and released somewhere else in the world and that the books are currently being rewritten for the American market.  I would say it is safe to assume that SWB has seen the later books from the other edition.

No, I don't think so.  There is another thread where this question was asked and the response from the Mods was that these weren't specific recommendations, just other potential paths, and that SWB has no inside knowledge about the parts of the CAP program that haven't been written/released yet.  I can't find the thread right now.  Can you link the other thread you referred to in your post?

I have been wondering about these recommendations as well. I have also been wondering if Writing and Rhetoric includes high school, or if it is only a middle school program. The CAP recommended grades for this program go up to grade 8-9, yet SWB has it recommended for grades 10/11. 

Hard to know when there is no description of the upper levels.

Writing & Rhetoric is meant to be completed in six years, so around 8th-9th grade. According to the website the program is meant to prepare the student for a study of rhetoric (even though the program has the word "rhetoric" in the name :tongue_smilie: ). I haven't heard of any plans for CAP to put out a rhetoric program.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know why Writing strands is no longer recommended?  I used it with my older ds and he turned out to be a fairly decent writer, though it was like pulling teeth when we were going through it.  Why the switch?  Just something new?

ETA: Maybe I need to find or post another thread, but what about the other curricula that use the progymnasmata such as Classical Writing?  I am using WWE and parts of SL LA with my 8yo right now, and not certain where we are headed with writing.  I just know WWE (at this time) does not seem to be very creative writing oriented and that is what dd loves right now.  I want her to build a solid base and have a strong foundation, but I also want all aspects of writing covered without excessive hand-holding.  Am I asking too much?  CAP's line goes through 9th at best, then what??

CW is included in the current edition of WTM.