Menu

Somebody tell me to put my big girl panties on - RE meeting with Head of School friday morning

AimeeM

Tony, er, "called" the Headmaster on Friday evening, after something "went down" that day in math class. I say "called", but that doesn't really convey the tone of the message left on Head's voicemail.

Head only responded when Tony again followed up with an e-mail asking (again) for a meeting ASAP. He told Head Dude that he was available to meet any time the last three days (he's had off), but not until after 5 the rest of the week. Well, Dude didn't get back to us until this morning and is only able to meet Friday morning.

So guess who gets to go solo? Me. I tend to stumble over my words when I'm upset (it's embarrassing, really) and usually forget parts of what needs to be said.

:(

Agreed with Betty.  You need DH there. Headmaster had apple opportunity to meet with DH.  He avoided him.  He doesn't want your dh there.  This school is poorly run and he is the main guy running it.  You need a second pair of eyes and ears.  You need a witness at the very least.  Who knows what direction the conversation could go and in the moment you or he may say something that the other misinterprets and things could go down hill or sideways quickly.  And it would be your word against his as to anything said.  And you may get so rattled you don't actually cover the things you need to discuss.  There are so many reasons not to go into a meeting like this without your DH or at least a witness.  Do you have anyone else that could attend with you?  Honestly, though, I would have DH insist that the meeting be with both of you.  The Headmaster should be willing to agree. 

If he isn't, then as NorthwesternMom put it, pull her out.  Tell them to take a hike.   :grouphug:

hjffkj is right.  From an administrative point of view and an instructional point of view this school is just no good.

Not acceptable. You, both parents, need to be able to meet with him. You gave him good options and he simply waited. Have dh email and say not acceptable. The meeting has to occur when both of you can participate.

I agree. He needs to say that's unacceptable. He gave plenty of available times he could meet.

Oh, this does sound dreadful. I hope you decide not to meet with this guy by yourself.

But if you do, there's no reason you can't have a written list of things you want to cover. You can even jot down some phrasing you want to use and some responses to arguments you expect him to make.

Might you also record the meeting? Not covertly; just set your phone to record and tell Head Guy that you want to focus on the discussion, not on taking notes. If he balks, that's the reddest red flag that ever flagged, no?

But ideally? Schedule a time when your husband can go with you. Or instead of you. Or not at all because you find another educational option you're happy with. :)

Whatever happens, I wish you calm and good luck.

Youre being much too nice and accommodating for this guy. You are the ones paying HIM, by paying school fees, not the other way around, and that should come with a certain amount of responsibility on his part to do his job properly.

Given what you've already said I absolutely wouldn't go without my husband present and the headmaster would just have to reschedule something because its his fault for stalling. I mean this kindly but I suspect headmaster knows he can talk you into things or manipulate a situation with you far easier than he would with your dh.

I agree with the others. The headmaster is brushing your DH off so he doesn't have to deal with both of you. Don't let him. He had HOW many days to set a time that worked for both you and your husband, and he chose the one day that didn't? That's unacceptable, considering he literally works for you. Set it for a time that your husband can be there, and record the meeting (and TELL him you're recording it). Whatever he says, he's going to try to back out of it later if you can't hold him to it. At least if you record it he either has to stick with what he said or be honest about his plans in the first place. If he refuses to let you record it or refuses to set the meeting for a time when your husband can come, you know that he has no interest in working with you guys whatsoever and it's time to pull her out.

Not acceptable. You, both parents, need to be able to meet with him. You gave him good options and he simply waited. Have dh email and say not acceptable. The meeting has to occur when both of you can participate.

I did, essentially. He says "it is very important that you both be here", but no giving other days as options. Tony sincerely cannot take off on Friday, and will be out of state next week.

Yep, I think headmaster waited to respond for a reason - he doesn't want to meet with Tony. 

And I agree with Belacqua about taking a companion and/or recording the meeting. 

Actually, he wants Tony there and keeps stressing how important Tony being there is. The problem is that, as has been true with every other meeting at the school, it is assumed that Tony works for himself and can set his own hours (I've had the same issue with parent meetings being schedule for events at the school, with as little as 48 hours notice, MID DAY during the week).

I don't know the story, but this "head guy" can find a time during his "busy" schedule to meet with you.  Unless it is some huge event at the school, such as testing, accreditation committee visitation, state health auditing, etc., I don't see any reason he can not meet during the time specified by your husband.  I'm assuming he is the principal and not a teacher.  

My recommendation is to either find a way for your DH to be there or insist on a reschedule.  If you are not comfortable being there alone, I suggest you do not go.

If you choose to go, write down everything you want to discuss and bring it with you.  Sometimes nerves make people forget what they want to say.  Also, try your best to only say what you need to say.  Don't get overly chatty due to nerves.  Listen to what he says carefully.  Don't hesitate to question his meaning, such as, "What do you mean exactly by ______?"  Take pauses to collect your thoughts.  Most importantly, go in with your head held high.  He has no power unless you give it to him.

I use to call school administrators on behalf of parents frequently.  The admins were often rude or abrupt or snobbish - until they realized that I was another principal.  Their tone changed quickly, and it was as if they were talking to their best friend at church.  

I truly do believe you need to wait for a meeting in which your DH is able to attend.  Not knowing the story, I support the comments from others who recommend pulling your child out of that school.  If you aren't comfortable with the admin and they aren't respecting you, it doesn't seem to be a good place for your family.   :grouphug:

I agree that you should try to find a solution where you don't go alone.

If you do go alone, make yourself really clear notes.  Don't be afraid to be a jerk.  Every time the guy says something, think, "If I tell the hive about this, will they be outraged?" and if the answer is yes, be outraged too.

I did, essentially. He says "it is very important that you both be here", but no giving other days as options. Tony sincerely cannot take off on Friday, and will be out of state next week.

Then he needs to meet with you after 5 tomorrow or Friday since those were the times that are acceptable to your family. Any other time is not an option. You need to be more firm with him and ask him which time it will be. Anything other than when your DH can be there is not acceptable. "I am sorry, Friday morning does not work for us. We can meet Thursday or Friday after 5 pm, which will it be?" Or have your DH call and say it. Do not be talked into meeting with him by himself. He was the one who delayed responding to you about meeting, so he can be the one inconvenienced by it. Stand firm. 

Actually, he wants Tony there and keeps stressing how important Tony being there is. The problem is that, as has been true with every other meeting at the school, it is assumed that Tony works for himself and can set his own hours (I've had the same issue with parent meetings being schedule for events at the school, with as little as 48 hours notice, MID DAY during the week).

Well, he is saying he wants Tony there, but is not scheduling it for a time that he can be there. That speaks volumes to me. If he really wanted him to be there, he would schedule a time when he could be there. It feels like he is manipulating you. He is telling you what you want to hear to convince you to meet with him alone counting on the fact that you will not be as difficult to deal with as your DH may be. You are being too nice. He needs to meet with you both, period. And since he wasted 3 days when it could have been scheduled during the day, he will need to give up an evening. 

I agree with the others. The headmaster is brushing your DH off so he doesn't have to deal with both of you. Don't let him. He had HOW many days to set a time that worked for both you and your husband, and he chose the one day that didn't? That's unacceptable, considering he literally works for you. Set it for a time that your husband can be there, and record the meeting (and TELL him you're recording it). Whatever he says, he's going to try to back out of it later if you can't hold him to it. At least if you record it he either has to stick with what he said or be honest about his plans in the first place. If he refuses to let you record it or refuses to set the meeting for a time when your husband can come, you know that he has no interest in working with you guys whatsoever and it's time to pull her out.

We're pulling her next year, regardless, but because of what happened last week, we insist on making sure that Autumn's last couple weeks aren't horrible (for her).

Please trust that we really do not have the option of pulling her right now. We have several reasons, but all are very legit, there's no way around them, and she absolutely has to finish the year there, if at ALL possible. The school has set up testing for DD, through the district, free to us, for a current psych ed eval - since it was set up through the school, it needs to be done there (from what I understand), and she will be pushed BACK on the waiting list if anything comes us; we've been waiting for this eval for months and months. We cannot afford a private eval right now with the tuition we've been paying, and she needs it if she transitions to B&M high school in a year or so. Trying to get to the district Ed Psych as homeschoolers has proven almost impossible. Please trust that if things go too badly on Friday, I'll be leaving that day WITH my DD, regardless of testing, because I would never put her in a completely intolerable situation. ATM things are "tolerable" for her, with less than two weeks to go and a light at the end of the tunnel, so we NEED to try to ride with this.

1. Uh, no. If for some reason you must keep her in this school, they need to accommodate you .

2. When my dh needed to be in a meeting but couldnt be (ex: when dd and I were traveling for her chemo and dh had to be at work) we used technology...conference call, skype/facetime, whatever. It is a bit odd to conference call if you don't normally but dh makes them regularly for work and hears the tone of my voice well even if he doesn't have a visual of my body language.

Well, he is saying he wants Tony there, but is not scheduling it for a time that he can be there. That speaks volumes to me. If he really wanted him to be there, he would schedule a time when he could be there. It feels like he is manipulating you. He is telling you what you want to hear to convince you to meet with him alone counting on the fact that you will not be as difficult to deal with as your DH may be. You are being too nice. He needs to meet with you both, period. And since he wasted 3 days when it could have been scheduled during the day, he will need to give up an evening. 

I'm with you. And Tony has stated several times that he is available almost any evening.

I'm with you. And Tony has stated several times that he is available almost any evening.

Push back and ask the headmaster which evening since that is the only way you can meet. 

ETA: If it truly is so important to meet with you both, he will accommodate. And he should have earlier in the week. I am sorry this is such a hassle for you. ((hugs))

Even better - he wants DD in on the meeting.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Good that you won't have her with you.

It's unprofessional (speaking as a former teacher) for parents to discuss this sort of stuff with admin or teacher in front of the child. (I can see meeting and then informing the kiddo, for sure, but she shouldn't be in this type of meeting.)

I'm surprised your Head doesn't see that. It's standard practice.

It's unprofessional (speaking as a former teacher) for parents to discuss this sort of stuff with admin or teacher in front of the child. (I can see meeting and then informing the kiddo, for sure, but she shouldn't be in this type of meeting.)

He's had this "policy" since day one. At first we thought it was fine (naive of us), but we've realized over the past several months that this puts an insane amount of stress on her. She's a child. This is a grown up discussion and a grown up decision.

Kind of like the time DD was having a bad day, months ago, and said she didn't like school... and the Head told her that she didn't need to come back then. Because yeah - that's a good way to handle a child not wanting to come to school... said no sane parent or adult EVER.

I worked at a small school that sounds similar to the one Aimee's dd attends.  We did meet with kids and parents together about all kinds of things...  and with parents alone.  It depended.

To me, the issue isn't that he wants to meet with both of you - it's that he seems completely tone deaf to what you're saying.  I think you just need to say straight up that the whole back and forth about this meeting exemplifies the ways in which the school is not meeting your family's needs.  You needed a mutually agreeable time where both parents could be there and to discuss it in private without your dd.  He keeps plowing ahead with his own viewpoint - just you is acceptable, the meeting must be sooner, your dd should be there.  He's not listening, he's making you consistently uncomfortable.  I think you need to say that.

1.  The meeting was requested by your dh.  He needs to be there.  

2.  Your dh gave him lots of choices of when he could be there.  The Headmaster is ignoring those.  To me, that proves even more that your dh needs to be there.

3.  Your dd is in a tolerable situation right now.  So you can afford to push for a meeting between the headmaster and your dh.  (At least from what you've said so far.)

4.  Pushing for a meeting doesn't mean creating a stink so that they kick her out before the two weeks are up.  You can just be quietly firm and immovable.  

5.  If for some reason there is no meeting before two weeks are up is that a really bad thing?  (You don't have to answer me but I would consider it.)  To me, having a meeting where you feel railroaded (which is what sounds like will happen if it is just you at that meeting) is a really bad thing.  If the meeting would be nice but not mandatory in the two weeks before school is up, I would push for it but would take no meeting over a bad meeting.  

Can your dh facetime or skype or the like... bring your laptop and plunk him down in front of the HM and just sit back and take notes...Any questions directed to you.."Tony would you like to answer that"....

And definitely no daughter...

Of course this is assuming you actually WANT the meeting to take place...

I worked at a small school that sounds similar to the one Aimee's dd attends.  We did meet with kids and parents together about all kinds of things...  and with parents alone.  It depended.

To me, the issue isn't that he wants to meet with both of you - it's that he seems completely tone deaf to what you're saying.  I think you just need to say straight up that the whole back and forth about this meeting exemplifies the ways in which the school is not meeting your family's needs.  You needed a mutually agreeable time where both parents could be there and to discuss it in private without your dd.  He keeps plowing ahead with his own viewpoint - just you is acceptable, the meeting must be sooner, your dd should be there.  He's not listening, he's making you consistently uncomfortable.  I think you need to say that.

Bingo (highlighted).

Can your dh facetime or skype or the like... bring your laptop and plunk him down in front of the HM and just sit back and take notes...Any questions directed to you.."Tony would you like to answer that"....

And definitely no daughter...

Of course this is assuming you actually WANT the meeting to take place...

He can't facetime or skype, unfortunately. He needs to be working (he's transitioning from a position as a consultant within the company, to that of a full time employee of the company he was consulting for) - at least on Friday he can't. 

Now, if they have time the following week, in the evening, he could (but he is in meetings and on site during the week, even when he travels), but they do not seem to want to schedule the meeting in the evening. So... well... if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I guess I shouldn't sweat over it. I'm just carefully watching to make sure that nothing more is said to Red while she's at school.

I want so badly to just pull her now. It isn't something I can do so long as her situation is tolerable, and I know that, but she wants to be done.

We're pulling her next year, regardless, but because of what happened last week, we insist on making sure that Autumn's last couple weeks aren't horrible (for her).

Please trust that we really do not have the option of pulling her right now. We have several reasons, but all are very legit, there's no way around them, and she absolutely has to finish the year there, if at ALL possible. The school has set up testing for DD, through the district, free to us, for a current psych ed eval - since it was set up through the school, it needs to be done there (from what I understand), and she will be pushed BACK on the waiting list if anything comes us; we've been waiting for this eval for months and months. We cannot afford a private eval right now with the tuition we've been paying, and she needs it if she transitions to B&M high school in a year or so. Trying to get to the district Ed Psych as homeschoolers has proven almost impossible. Please trust that if things go too badly on Friday, I'll be leaving that day WITH my DD, regardless of testing, because I would never put her in a completely intolerable situation. ATM things are "tolerable" for her, with less than two weeks to go and a light at the end of the tunnel, so we NEED to try to ride with this.

I would contact the special education coordinator for the school district where you reside.  Is the school district sending someone to test her at the private school?  If that is the case then moving it elsewhere may actually be easier for the district and they may be very willing to accommodate you for that reason alone.  They may also be willing to accommodate for other reasons as well. 

He can say he's a purple elephant, that doesn't make it true. Setting up meetings with 48 hours warning at midday?? I have no doubt he is avoiding your husband

So glad to hear youre pulling her next year. Its only two weeks left! They might be two weeks of awfulness, but provided the situation wasn't something long term harmful like an assault or something, maybe you can use this to try and teach your daughter about pushing through awful situations. Not desirable by any means, I wish she didn't have to go through this, but I see your dilemma, and if she does have to stick out the last two weeks maybe you can make it something to work through with her.

For the record, youre still being too nice. When I told my dh his response was 'if its that serious, why didn't they just show up at the office the very next day and sit there waiting. He couldn't ignore them then and they could insist on talking during his lunch break or catch him before he gets in his car. If he won't be reasonable, force the meeting on him, sounds like its urgent, it shouldn't be put off for a week'. I remember my parents doing just that at the final school we tried. They stormed into the office and they wweren't leaving until that principle spoke with them. Slightly different since, in that case, his staff had behaved quite inappropriately, but if its important enough to meet about with only two weeks left then its important enough to not wait 3 days for him to get around to replying to you. Stop letting him brush you off

I would contact the special education coordinator for the school district where you reside.  Is the school district sending someone to test her at the private school?  If that is the case then moving it elsewhere may actually be easier for the district and they may be very willing to accommodate you for that reason alone.  They may also be willing to accommodate for other reasons as well. 

They are testing her at the school, yes. Funny you should mention calling them - I'm going to *try* to do just that tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it's proven to be very difficult to get a call back from them (not that I blame them - we live in a huge district and to the best of my knowledge, have very few people capable of performing these tests).

In general, it seems that private school kids (and homeschool kids) get last dibs. I know they do not mean it intentionally, but it seems to play out that way.

He can say he's a purple elephant, that doesn't make it true. Setting up meetings with 48 hours warning at midday?? I have no doubt he is avoiding your husband

So glad to hear youre pulling her next year. Its only two weeks left! They might be two weeks of awfulness, but provided the situation wasn't something long term harmful like an assault or something, maybe you can use this to try and teach your daughter about pushing through awful situations. Not desirable by any means, I wish she didn't have to go through this, but I see your dilemma, and if she does have to stick out the last two weeks maybe you can make it something to work through with her.

For the record, youre still being too nice. When I told my dh his response was 'if its that serious, why didn't they just show up at the office the very next day and sit there waiting. He couldn't ignore them then and they could insist on talking during his lunch break or catch him before he gets in his car. If he won't be reasonable, force the meeting on him, sounds like its urgent, it shouldn't be put off for a week'. I remember my parents doing just that at the final school we tried. They stormed into the office and they wweren't leaving until that principle spoke with them. Slightly different since, in that case, his staff had behaved quite inappropriately, but if its important enough to meet about with only two weeks left then its important enough to not wait 3 days for him to get around to replying to you. Stop letting him brush you off

I totally see your husband's point, and in a "normal" school environment I would agree completely... but this isn't "normal". He randomly isn't on campus... or in the city... or even in the state. And that is actually part of the problem. He DOES have some very serious medical issues, often leaves the state to see specialists, and while of course I do not think we need to be privy to his private medical issues, there are times we find out through our DD that he isn't in town for a day, a few days, a week, etc and that inexperienced-science-teacher-man is in charge (but hey - he seems rather terrified of Tony, so that could work in my favor, lol).

In other words, on any given day I never know when he'll be on campus or not. He could be there, or he may have only been there part of a day, or he could be coming in later, or he could be out of town/state/something. It's completely hit or miss, kwim?

Sometimes the staff may not even be aware that he's on or off campus, unless he's teaching his class at the time (he also teaches). We have to schedule our sitter to stay with our younger children as well, which requires notice for her.

Could you bring a friend to the meeting if you feel you need to do it?  I agree that expecting it to be at a time that works for your DH is best, but if that isn't possible, go in with an adult who can support you and help you say what you plan to say.  Someone who takes good notes.  

I agree.  But I don't see anything wrong with taking notes and bringing notes.  I don't care if this makes me look like a spazzy dork.  If anything the reactions I have gotten when I do that are..this person knows what they are doing and thinks about stuff.

Yes.  And maybe bring a tape recorder.  And a really firm but polite smile.  Or a really beefy football player.

I would contact the special education coordinator for the school district where you reside. Is the school district sending someone to test her at the private school? If that is the case then moving it elsewhere may actually be easier for the district and they may be very willing to accommodate you for that reason alone. They may also be willing to accommodate for other reasons as well.

This sounds like sensible advice.

They are testing her at the school, yes. Funny you should mention calling them - I'm going to *try* to do just that tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it's proven to be very difficult to get a call back from them (not that I blame them - we live in a huge district and to the best of my knowledge, have very few people capable of performing these tests).

In general, it seems that private school kids (and homeschool kids) get last dibs. I know they do not mean it intentionally, but it seems to play out that way.

In tricky situations, I will often GO to a place. I'll be polite, but mention that it is no trouble for me to wait all day, as I have reading to catch up on, or some other lame excuse. Most times, a sympathetic assistant will tell someone how long I've been waiting and get me in to see someone.

You poor thing, it sounds as though your 'Head' is a master manipulator.

I am having a fantasy that all of us WTMers, especially the ones who know how to get angry, show up with you and wipe the floor with this guy. You are nice, but that shouldn't be a reason to get mistreated by this slug. May he crawl under the rock from whence he came!

I agree with others who say not to go by yourself. I might be tempted to wait until 5 minutes after the meeting is due to start and then leave a phone message that your attorney is unable to make it and you have to cancel.

ETA Wow, I not usually this angry, but leaving the post up anyway.

Slightly off topic..it's always interesting to me to read threads where people are nervous to meet with the principal.

I am the principal and I am the one who is usually nervous to meet with parents! :)

Back on topic, a good principal always finds time to meet with the families of the student. You don't even need an appointment to see me. I have an open door policy. As long as I'm not already in a meeting, I will talk to you on the spot. And sometimes even if I am in a meeting, I will leave to see a parent who really wants to speak to me. I answer emails as fast as possible even at 11pm at night. My iPad is perpetually attached to my hand.

You are the customer. You deserve good service.

Slightly off topic..it's always interesting to me to read threads where people are nervous to meet with the principal.

I am the principal and I am the one who is usually nervous to meet with parents! :)

Back on topic, a good principal always finds time to meet with the families of the student. You don't even need an appointment to see me. I have an open door policy. As long as I'm not already in a meeting, I will talk to you on the spot. And sometimes even if I am in a meeting, I will leave to see a parent who really wants to speak to me. I answer emails as fast as possible even at 11pm at night. My iPad is perpetually attached to my hand.

You are the customer. You deserve good service.

Oh, Heather, somehow I just knew you would be that kind of principal!

It is the same in my son's school. The principal stops to chat and is always available for meetings. The school superintendent is also easy to see. Not to mention a guidance counsellor who jokes that he could lose his job if no parents call him, lol!

It makes such a positive difference when you know you will be heard respectfully and taken seriously.

I feel so bad for Aimee. It's a shame she can't go to your school!

Guest submarines

In tricky situations, I will often GO to a place. I'll be polite, but mention that it is no trouble for me to wait all day, as I have reading to catch up on, or some other lame excuse. Most times, a sympathetic assistant will tell someone how long I've been waiting and get me in to see someone.

You poor thing, it sounds as though your 'Head' is a master manipulator.

I am having a fantasy that all of us WTMers, especially the ones who know how to get angry, show up with you and wipe the floor with this guy. You are nice, but that shouldn't be a reason to get mistreated by this slug. May he crawl under the rock from whence he came!

I agree with others who say not to go by yourself. I might be tempted to wait until 5 minutes after the meeting is due to start and then leave a phone message that your attorney is unable to make it and you have to cancel.

ETA Wow, I not usually this angry, but leaving the post up anyway.

Sweet!

I totally see your husband's point, and in a "normal" school environment I would agree completely... but this isn't "normal". He randomly isn't on campus... or in the city... or even in the state. And that is actually part of the problem. He DOES have some very serious medical issues, often leaves the state to see specialists, and while of course I do not think we need to be privy to his private medical issues, there are times we find out through our DD that he isn't in town for a day, a few days, a week, etc and that inexperienced-science-teacher-man is in charge (but hey - he seems rather terrified of Tony, so that could work in my favor, lol).

In other words, on any given day I never know when he'll be on campus or not. He could be there, or he may have only been there part of a day, or he could be coming in later, or he could be out of town/state/something. It's completely hit or miss, kwim?

Sometimes the staff may not even be aware that he's on or off campus, unless he's teaching his class at the time (he also teaches). We have to schedule our sitter to stay with our younger children as well, which requires notice for her.

Wait, the guy that was going to fail your daughter for medical absences is always missing from campus due to medical reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY??????????? What a douchebag. (and I'm southern, I don't say things like that normally).