Menu

If your kid had not taken any tests on a computer, did they have any technical trouble when they had to?

DS is taking the SCAT at a prometrics centre and I gather it will be on the computer. He has filled out many scantron sheets (thanks, NY state tests), but has never taken a test on the computer. Well, if you don't count the end-of-chapter tests in his vocabulary program, which do not require much navigating (one "page" each).

Did your DC have any trouble, and if so, is there a way to mitigate? I will familiarize him with the weird format of SCAT questions, but I am specifically wondering about the computer bit of this.

Thanks so much

Well, if you don't count the end-of-chapter tests in his vocabulary program, which do not require much navigating (one "page" each).

The SCAT is also one question per page if my boys didn't tell me wrongly. Has your son taken any timed test before? It is the timed test factor that trip my 8 year old up even though he still meet the math and verbal cutoffs. I would say the OLSAT online test indirectly prepared my 8 year old for the SCAT because of the fact that OLSAT is timed. My 9 year old finished both sessions before time is up and he opt not to take a break.

Just tell him not to worry and have fun.  Also the test invigilator/proctor make sure my boys were comfortably seated with their hands resting nicely on the mouse and at a nice screen viewing angle before starting the tests.  Their testing center was wonderfully quiet which was perfect for my sensory kids.  Bring your driver's id for identification.  I didn't need to show id for my kids, just show mine.

ETA:

The first computerized test they took for school was the Scantron and they didn't have a problem with it other then wanting to be done with it.