Menu

Help me decide??? Visual Latin or Latin Alive

armom

I am wanting my 8th grade students to study latin for the first time next year.  I think I have narrowed down the choices to Latin Alive or Visual Latin.  I would like opinions on the pros and cons of each.  My goals are to learn latin to help them in their English skills , to help them in learning another language and to fulfill required language in High school.  I would like something they will actually like and retain.  I have looked at First Form and am certain they will find this absolutely boring.  I have to have a program that will engage my son or it will be a complete disaster.  He does not like school and doesn't want put forth a great deal of effort.  I also need a lot of hand holding in the teaching aspect.  Thank you for any advise you can give in helping me to decide.

We are happy Latin Alive users. :) My DD's only complaint was the lack of review, which she fixed by making herself flashcards. You could also add regular practice at headventureland.com.

There have been a few threads in the high school forum that discuss Latin Alive recently. You might take a peek at those.

We were Visual Latin users. It was a great beginning for my son. The big one for people that either makes it or breaks it is that the translations are directly from Genesis. There is no escaping the influence of the Biblical. This helped my son quite a lot since he knew those stories. It gave him confidence in his translating. I do not know if that matters to you or your son.