Menu

Work Study questions?

elegantlion

I received my aid offers and part of it is in work study. I tried calling and no one answered, in the meantime I'd thought I ask here. 

The offer means I could earn up to that amount through a work study job, is that right? 

Part of my issue is that the campus is 30 minutes away, I'll be there only 2 days a week, which are scheduled tight. Driving there on non-school days for a few hours of minimum wage (what the work study pays) is not cost effective, much less full time school and homeschooling is about what I can handle. 

I could make it work without the work study, but if I accept it, I could turn down any job that wouldn't work? Is that right?

Curious how it all works. 

Our experience is that you still have to apply for a campus job and can make that amount. But often students can't work that many hours and at many places there are opportunities for more hours. They don't hold tutition payments expecting you will work those hours. No you do not have to take a particular job.

I've been trying to understand this as well, for my daughter.  From what I have gathered so far, the school posts available work study jobs (usually online) and you can apply for it.   Also from what I understand, it sounds like most schools are VERY willing to work with your schedule, whatever it is.  Another daughter in college has several friends who do work study, and it sounds like often their jobs actually allow you time to study a little (i.e., answering phones, so you can study between phone calls).

That being said, you are under no obligation to accept the work study offer.  You might find that it's easier and financially better to find your own part-time job off campus.

That being said, you are under no obligation to accept the work study offer.  You might find that it's easier and financially better to find your own part-time job off campus.

Which is what I'm trying to find for this summer or full time either way, with no luck so far. Grr. It sounds like I am under no obligation to use it if I accept either. 

I wouldn't turn down the work-study yet.

At least at my kids' college, you applied and then there was some adjustment every fall when class schedules, etc. came out.

The reason why I wouldn't turn down a work-study yet has nothing to do with finances and everything to do with experience. While some work-study jobs are menial boring jobs, some are fabulous resume-builders. My dd, interested in art conservation, had a work-study that involved cataloging art works for the college art museum. She learned how to use the software program that is used for that, she learned a lot about how museums work, and she even got to write up some descriptions and help assemble exhibits. The job was exciting enough for her that she would have been happy to do it as a volunteer -- the minimum wage pay was a definite bonus!

My son was awarded work study. They said he should apply for a on campus job and then he gets paid directly by the hour. He could make more or less then the award amount. He is not obligated to even use the money for school. So accept it and see if it works out. But, know that the amount awarded is not automatically deducted from what you owe the school. Clear as mud?

I have found it works different at each school. My son's school actually will hold the bill and apply the work study payments as the term goes on. They also took care of the applying for work study for him. He filled out an application, just one, that the financial aid office sent him. From there, they sent that to all offices. One contacted him and offered him a job.

My son's experiences are completely not the norm.  

Usually, work study is just like any other campus job. You have to seek them out and apply and hope someone calls you back. You have to individually apply for several jobs. There is no guarantee anyone will want you, and there usually are not enough jobs to go around.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly different at the uni where dh works. He usually gets approved to hire 2 or 3 work study students per semester. He would love to be able to find ones that major in something related to the work at hand, but usually that is not the case. They are approved to work up to X hours per week. He tries to give them as many as they want, up to that max.

The snag is that he does actually expect them to work. He has a lot of work to produce and needs the extra help, so he can't take time to pay students to sit around and study instead of doing what needs to be completed. On rare occasions, when there is some outside factor causing a disruption in the work flow, he will let them continue to work the schedule that was set up originally, but study instead of working.

Dh is a good guy, and very willing to work around student's schedules and emergencies, but he does need them to actually come in and work, or he will have to fire them and replace them with someone who will come in and work. He has had to fire 2 or 3 people in the last 10 years. He also tries to get them extra work before holidays or exams so they can keep the same average amount of money coming in.

Work study can definitely be a good opportunity to network and to get some major-related experience under your belt. Find out if any w/s jobs are offered in your major area of study and apply for them first. And yes, it is fine to apply for several different jobs at the same time. But if possible, call and let the other departments know when you accept one so that they aren't deliberating over your application when you have already decided to work elsewhere.