Menu

Microscope for High School Science

I have been looking and looking at microscopes for ages and really want to buy one but am so nervous of making a mistake and not getting a good one. I want to get one that will be sufficient for all high school science. I almost bought one at the beginning of this year but then chickened out. So please. please help.

If you have a microscope which you have used for high school science and which has been good, could you please tell me which it is and put me out of my misery.

Thank you so much,

Trenna

We've got an AmScope brand microscope and think it is an excellent choice. 

Positives:  Got it for $300 and free shipping when it was on sale; high quality lenses for the price  - it is as powerful as the microscopes I use in the college general biology class I teach (but not as heavy duty a scope as that); the company has excellent, well-priced slide sets and accessories available.

Negatives:  Comes without the slide holder, so be sure to order that extra; no way to dim the light on the model I got except with the iris diaphragm (it's not been an issue thus far, but I can see instances where it might be).

We've got an AmScope brand microscope and think it is an excellent choice. 

Positives:  Got it for $300 and free shipping when it was on sale; high quality lenses for the price  - it is as powerful as the microscopes I use in the college general biology class I teach (but not as heavy duty a scope as that); the company has excellent, well-priced slide sets and accessories available.

Negatives:  Comes without the slide holder, so be sure to order that extra; no way to dim the light on the model I got except with the iris diaphragm (it's not been an issue thus far, but I can see instances where it might be).

Thank you for this information. Would you mind saying which model you got?

I can't remember the model number and it's not printed anywhere on the scope; it's been about 3 years since we got it and I no longer have the paperwork with model number on it (we've used it quite a bit, and it's held up well, by the way).  The magnifications on the objective lenses are 4X, 10X, 40X, and 100X (oil), with a 10X magnification for the ocular.  It is a binocular scope.  On their website, you should be able to narrow it down with that info; sorry I can't remember the model number.  I think this is pretty standard for most high school and undergraduate microscopes.  The lenses are very good quality for the price; I can see images pretty clearly, even a high magnifications.

Thank you for this information. Would you mind saying which model you got?

I can't remember the model number and it's not printed anywhere on the scope; it's been about 3 years since we got it and I no longer have the paperwork with model number on it (we've used it quite a bit, and it's held up well, by the way).  The magnifications on the objective lenses are 4X, 10X, 40X, and 100X (oil), with a 10X magnification for the ocular.  It is a binocular scope.  On their website, you should be able to narrow it down with that info; sorry I can't remember the model number.  I think this is pretty standard for most high school and undergraduate microscopes.  The lenses are very good quality for the price; I can see images pretty clearly, even a high magnifications.

Thanks for the further details.

I highly recommend an online company called Microscope World. Go ahead with either live chat or call them. The sales people are extremely helpful and can stay under budget.

We have two, one a digital microscope and one a stereoscope. The digital microscope so great for taking video and pictures into PowerPoint presentations. But, the stereoscope is what we use the most. Larger, 3 dimensional images can be viewed as well. If I could do it all over, I would buy a digital stereoscope and get the best of both of our scopes.