Menu

x-post: Grammar program for visual, 2E (dyslexic) 12 year old daughter

DD12 is coming home next year. She has spent the past year in a private school for dyslexics and has made no progress. We'll be using IEW for writing, Apples and Pears for spelling (these are programs I've used and enjoyed in the past), but I'm stuck on grammar and possibly vocabulary. DD is a visual learner, gifted (leans towards maths, in general), and reads pretty well (but sight reads).

I'm looking at MCT, but I've heard mixed reviews - and I have no clue where I would start her in the program.

Well, my DD13 is doing well with Barton Reading and Spelling and she is definitely a visual learner.  Bright but not gifted, at least not in the standard academic sense.  I don't know that it would be a good fit, though.  You might consider looking at some past threads on the LC board to see if anything speaks to you.

Wordly Wise 3000 on-line might work for some vocab building but I had to help the kids with the end test every time.  It wasn't as well designed as the rest of the activities.

Doesn't IEW have a program for grammar that you could pair with what you are already using for writing through them?  I could be crazy.  Still trying to dig through all the IEW stuff....

They have Fix It, but from what I'm reading, it has very little actual instruction - it seems rather for children to use for practice (editing, IEW dress ups, etc).

They have Fix It, but from what I'm reading, it has very little actual instruction - it seems rather for children to use for practice (editing, IEW dress ups, etc).

I will be at a convention tomorrow through Saturday and will be looking at IEW and talking to the rep.  Grammar is on my mind, as well.  I will report back with whatever info I glean.

Winston Grammar has a good rep, but i have never used it or seen it.  There are so many grammar programs out there.  I am in the same boat.  I have SN, bright kids and trying to find the right fit for everything can be challenging.   :grouphug:

I don't know a thing about MCT.  If I were to use it, I'd keep it simple and seriously consider using materials from either 2nd or 3rd grade.

For the past couple of years, grammar has been quick and painless. We use a combination of Winston and Easy Grammar Daily Grams/Ultimate series.  For vocabulary, we've used the Sadlier-Oxford series, English for the Roots Up, and Voc from Classical Roots.  Vocabulary is a strength for DS, so he doesn't mind studying it.

ETA:  DS requires a more spiral approach with multiple bites of the apple.  The Winston/EG combo provides that.  Also, his writing assignments provide ample practice for grammar work.  

I will be at a convention tomorrow through Saturday and will be looking at IEW and talking to the rep.  Grammar is on my mind, as well.  I will report back with whatever info I glean.

Winston Grammar has a good rep, but i have never used it or seen it.  There are so many grammar programs out there.  I am in the same boat.  I have SN, bright kids and trying to find the right fit for everything can be challenging.   :grouphug:

Please do report back!!! I'm curious. The older reviews for Fix It weren't great at all, but I have seen a couple saying that it's better now. Thank you!

My DD has grown a lot in her understanding by using Winston Grammar.  We add in some Daily Grams for punctuation work.  It's been pretty quick and painless.

I haven't used this yet, so take the recommendation with a grain of salt, but we are looking into using Marie's Words for vocabulary next year.  Very visual in it's presentation.