Menu

Mapping the World with Art...

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I'm going to use this with my dd for 9th grade and have been debating art or geography credit and how much credit. If you find out could you post it back here also?

ok, so with that said... approximately how much time was spent for each lesson?

About 2 hours?  Sometimes less.

It's the same art technique that comes back over and over again. (pencil drawing mostly). The interest of the class is in how to visualize a map and find shapes in it.  

To be honest, I wouldn't even consider it a high school geography class. We did it when DD was in 6th grade.  She was with some friends, and another mom was teaching. I know said other mom didn't use all the background information that is provided, which is too bad. 

I would definitely add some research to it to make it high school worthy. Look at climates for each area of the world, geological history, natural resources.  Write up research papers. Then yes, it would be high school worthy.

About 2 hours?  Sometimes less.

It's the same art technique that comes back over and over again. (pencil drawing mostly). The interest of the class is in how to visualize a map and find shapes in it.  

To be honest, I wouldn't even consider it a high school geography class. We did it when DD was in 6th grade.  She was with some friends, and another mom was teaching. I know said other mom didn't use all the background information that is provided, which is too bad. 

I would definitely add some research to it to make it high school worthy. Look at climates for each area of the world, geological history, natural resources.  Write up research papers. Then yes, it would be high school worthy.

We are planning on using the Glencoe text as our spine. I have Runkle's as well for when he wants to read/explore more about the physical aspects of geography... and the Kingfisher World Geography Encyclopedia to use as well.

I was hoping to use the Mapping the World with Art and have him do the mapping as well as all the background/history portion, and some of the other research/activities she suggests. I can see how it is not really an Art curriculum, but was hoping to give it some credit, perhaps a half credit if it is sufficient enough of a workload.... Would it be possible to call it an Introduction to Cartography? Obviously next year is our first year of high school, so I'm still in that "learning curve".... :)

Well, I see it more as an add-on to an actual Geography class, not extra credit. Or it could boost a B to an A, for extra work. Yeah, not extra credit, but a stronger grade, that's the way I would handle it. 

I seem to be dissing the program, but I'm not. My daughter loved it and it solidified her knowledge of the world, no doubt about that!  The thing is that looking at a map, even in great details, does not make a Geography class.  It's just one aspect of a Geography class. 

Well, I see it more as an add-on to an actual Geography class, not extra credit. Or it could boost a B to an A, for extra work. Yeah, not extra credit, but a stronger grade, that's the way I would handle it. 

I seem to be dissing the program, but I'm not. My daughter loved it and it solidified her knowledge of the world, no doubt about that!  The thing is that looking at a map, even in great details, does not make a Geography class.  It's just one aspect of a Geography class. 

I agree completely! We have used various history curriculum and have completed some study of maps, labeling, identifying etc. I do not read your comments as dissing the program at all. You have given me a much clearer perspective of the program, and it sounds like just the right thing and approach for what I am aiming to put together! THANK YOU! :hurray:

We did it when DD was in 6th grade.  

We did too. I do think it sounds like a great add on since you have a spine to go with it. Dd learned SO much more by drawing the maps than she ever has with any other geography or mapping study. I really did love it. I hope it enhances your study and you have a great year. I'd just count is as part of your Geography credit, no bonus for art.

We're using it as the spine for a full-year credit in Geography and World Cultures. I've added in many books, as well as notebook pages and Annenburg Learner videos. Many of the add-ons were inspired by Harmony Arts geography curriculum, which uses a different spine.

Kris