Menu

Solid grammar for 2E (dyslexic), highly visual 12 year old?

AimeeM

We'll be using IEW for writing next year, but I'm stuck on grammar. I've looked at MCT, but I'm not sure where I would place her and I've heard mixed reviews. I want it to be pleasant for her (really, I'm shooting for "non multa, sed multum", very pleasant, and fun for next year, as she's coming from a very chaotic, unpleasant private school experience); effective, but pleasant.

I can tell you what worked brilliantly for my 2E dyslexic highly visual DS: Lukeion's Barbarian Diagrammarian course. He took it the summer between 6th & 7th grades, with very little previous background in grammar, and not only did he ace the course, it sparked a love of languages and linguistics. It also gave him a rock-solid foundation for Greek & Latin.

The course is very visual, with lots of color-coded charts and diagrams that help kids see grammar as a system, instead of a seemingly random assortment of concepts and labels. It's also very funny — the example sentences are usually hilarious, and many center around the character of Leland the Barbarian. I watched many of the lectures with DS, and there were days when we were laughing so hard our sides hurt. I plan for my 12 yo DD to take the course as well. 

I can tell you what worked brilliantly for my 2E dyslexic highly visual DS: Lukeion's Barbarian Diagrammarian course. He took it the summer between 6th & 7th grades, with very little previous background in grammar, and not only did he ace the course, it sparked a love of languages and linguistics. It also gave him a rock-solid foundation for Greek & Latin.

The course is very visual, with lots of color-coded charts and diagrams that help kids see grammar as a system, instead of a seemingly random assortment of concepts and labels. It's also very funny — the example sentences are usually hilarious, and many center around the character of Leland the Barbarian. I watched many of the lectures with DS, and there were days when we were laughing so hard our sides hurt. I plan for my 12 yo DD to take the course as well. 

That looks absolutely brilliant! Which course, though? There are so many to choose from!