Menu

International Baccalaureate Program being offered to homeschoolers/informational dinner at Dwight School in NYC

Guest drjoy

Guest drjoy

Hello-

My name is Dr. Joy Dozier of NJ. I wanted to share some news about recent changes being made within the highly regarded IB program.

While I'm not posting to highlight my personal blog, all of the information/details can be found there at http://ivyleaguehomeschoolig.com or you can contact Jaya Bhavnani, the Dwight School online coordinator.

Of note, the Dwight School in NYC is one of the 7 Open World Schools involved in the pilot program. They will be offering an informational dinner for homeschoolers on June 7 at the school.

Kindest regards,

Joy Dozier

Currently the individual certificates are being offered.  It's important to check with potential universities whether they will accept these, or only the full diploma (currently not offered).

Considering that a full IB load is 6 subject courses per year plus extras, and the school doesn't have to rent real estate to contain distance learning students, the price does seem high.

L

Guest drjoy

Hello, all.

I wanted to encourage you to connect with Jaya Bhavnani, Dwight's online coordinator, if you are interested in learning more about the IB changes. Changes are being made daily to the pilot program. Dwight and the other schools are still in heavy discussion as how to make this a success for homeschooling families. Here's the latest that I was told:

1. Regarding pricing: Dwight plans to discount the fees to homeschoolers to $850 per class for one year. So, that's $1700 for the two years. One course, I believe the Economics SL is available to be completed in just one year.

2. Regarding receiving the full diploma-At present, only the 15 online classes are available to students. The issue is the core classes and the sciences are not being offered. Those are required to be eligible to receive the diploma. However, Dwight is in discussion on how to make the diploma available. For families in the tri-state area, Dwight would offer those families the opportunity to come in on weekends or weekedays after school to complete the required labwork, for example. Other discussion has included working with local community colleges to meet the lab requirements or possibly completing these types of coursework over the summer.

Again, if you are interested, connect with Jaya. I have personally found her a delight to work with. Dwight and the IB community are very open and fluid on how to make this work for homeschoolers.

Jaya's email address is jbhavnani@dwight.edu.

My kids are on the younger side, but I'll be following the developments.

All the best,

Joy

Guest Jaya

Thank you, Joy, for sharing the exciting news about Dwight's IB online courses.

As you mention, we are pleased to offer a discount to homeschooling families of $850, which includes the IB exam fee as well as tuition. We also offer students support and mentor their performance on a weekly basis, provide parent updates, and a sense of a community among students and families. 

There are numerous benefits to taking these courses online, including the ability to receive credits that may translate into advance placement at college. In fact, IB students often have a leg up in the college and university application process; external grades from such courses can supplement transcripts for homeschooled students. 

I encourage everyone to join us on the evening of June 5th to meet me and ask more questions. We will have a light dinner and refreshments, from 6-7:30 pm, at our campus on 18 West 89th Street in Manhattan. Please RSVP to me at: jbhavnani@dwight.edu. I look forward to seeing you there!

Warm regards,

Jaya

Thank you, Joy, for sharing the exciting news about Dwight's IB online courses.

As you mention, we are pleased to offer a discount to homeschooling families of $850, which includes the IB exam fee as well as tuition. We also offer students support and mentor their performance on a weekly basis, provide parent updates, and a sense of a community among students and families. 

Just so that people can be clear about what a normal IB load would cost:

The IB diploma programme lasts two years, and in each of those years the normal subject load is six courses, one chosen from each of six columns (in simple terms: native language; foreign language; maths; science; social studies; arts, with the last column usually also including duplicates, so that one can take two sciences, or two foreign languages, etc.)  Each subject can be taken at Higher or Standard level - the norm being three of each.

As an example, my son 'Calvin' is taking English, Latin and History at Higher level, and Maths Studies, French and Biology at Standard level.

In addition, there are core courses to take and an extended essay to complete, as well as creativity, action, service requirements to fulfil.

Now home educators may not want to take a full IB, and this may be a good option - check with any potential universities, as I mentioned before.  However, it's important to understand that - in order to be equivalent to a full IB course - the discounted home educators' price would add up to around USD6,000 per year (850 x 6 = 5,100, plus an estimated 900 for the extra elements required for the diploma).  This may be a good fit for some home educators, but it is quite a price.  

FWIW, Calvin is just finishing his IB in a bricks and mortar school.  We gave up the advantages of home education for the advantages of real-life contact with a diverse community of learners and teachers.  For us - just our experience - the highly structured IB would have been a straight-jacket if we had still been home educating, and doing it by distance learning would not have offered the community that Calvin has enjoyed.  YMMV.

L

To be fair to the Dwight School $850/year including the exam fee isn't far off what PA Homeschoolers charges for an AP class plus paying the AP test fee. Yes, they're both a LOT more than dual enrollment at my local community college. Dwight is also in line with what Calvert will charge for their high school and only about $150 more than Kolbe charges for their online honors classes. They're not trying to rip us off, this seems to be what it costs (or what the market will bear) for a high quality, teacher intensive online course.

I am glad to see that IB is beginning to offer online courses, but not really because of homeschooling. My hope is that this avenue will make it easier for kids to switch from one IB school to another. Considering that IB was supposedly created for those international kids who move around a lot, switching from one IB school to another is complicated - unless the new school's offerings match up with the previous school's course load.

My middle son finished an IB program last year. I am considering the same program for the younger, but I have great concerns over what would happen if we made a mid-stream move.

While I am a fan of the IB program, I have to agree with Laura that it would feel straight-jacket-like in our homeschool.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drjoy

Just a reminder that the Dwight School in Manhattan will be holding their informational dinner about the pilot tonight! Details found above. Children are welcome to attend with you. Food will be served so Dwight will feed your family while you are learning more about the program.