Menu

Topical Magnesium Oil--anyone use?

whitestavern

You can make your own.  Dissolve Epsom salts in water.

I think I made it too concentrated because it left stuff on my skin like saltwater at the ocean.   I don't like stuff on my skin so I didn't use it regularly.  I also made some lotion with it using one of the homemade lotion recipes I found here. But I don't like any lotion really, so I didn't use that either.  Next I think I'll try diluting it more and putting it in a spritzer.

Thanks for your insight Jean.  We're not consistent with the Natural Calm, or the Cal-Mag capsules, which is why I thought maybe the lotion would be better.  It just seems like it might be easier to put some on after a shower or something. 

Magnesium is also good for getting/staying asleep and also has a bit of a laxative effect.

The oil spray helped my dh's plantar fasciitis along with some calf massage - it took a few weeks.  Mag citrate supplements did not help.  Lots of other standard treatments did not help, either, so I was surprised.

The oil spray did not help ds (he takes Calm and also Now brand mag citrate powder for a bunch of reasons, bedwetting and constipation among them).

The oil spray dries into salt that later needs to be wiped off.

The oil spray helped my dh's plantar fasciitis along with some calf massage - it took a few weeks.  Mag citrate supplements did not help.  Lots of other standard treatments did not help, either, so I was surprised.

The oil spray did not help ds (he takes Calm and also Now brand mag citrate powder for a bunch of reasons, bedwetting and constipation among them).

The oil spray dries into salt that later needs to be wiped off.

I was reading about this.  I have pf in my left foot.  I've ordered some and hope it helps.

I was reading about this.  I have pf in my left foot.  I've ordered some and hope it helps.

FWIW, we think that the cause of dh's pf is that his calf muscles are too tight most of the time (he runs/bikes a lot, etc.), and that the mag oil helped them relax a bit more.

You can make your own. Dissolve Epsom salts in water.

I think I made it too concentrated because it left stuff on my skin like saltwater at the ocean. I don't like stuff on my skin so I didn't use it regularly. I also made some lotion with it using one of the homemade lotion recipes I found here. But I don't like any lotion really, so I didn't use that either. Next I think I'll try diluting it more and putting it in a spritzer.

I have Ancient Minerals brand which is very expensive but high quality. It feels like this (saltwater at the ocean) and it doesn't bother me, but you can wash your skin after a half hour or so if needed.

I use it on and off for sleep and anxiety issues.

I use a magnesium chloride oil/gel daily, and my son uses magnesium chloride bath salts. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate and have a similar effect as mag chloride but I feel more relaxed after using mag chloride. That's just me, though. We use Dr. Shealy's oil and bath salts.

About the itchiness, if I've skipped using the gel for a few days, my skin will itch after applying it; however, if used daily, I don't itch. I don't know why.

You should be careful using it if you have kidney problems.

I use the liquid spray on my arthritis neck muscles and love it. I'm glad you mentioned this, my son has tics/tourettes

We have found the magnesium to be one of the only things to make a difference in the frequency and severity of his tics.  I hope it helps you as much :)

Odd coincidence.  My massage therapist was talking about this today.  He feels that it has really helped him.  He makes his own and feels is it a beneficial thing to try if you have muscular or anxiety issues.