Menu

Summer Camps - Update in post# 23

My oldest really started liking math this year, so I signed her up for a math camp this summer that I found through the listing on the AOPS wiki. 

I'm starting to get more nervous than she is as more info is coming out as 1) she's my oldest, 2) I've only sent her away for this long when her sister is with her, and 3) I'm wondering if I'm getting her in over her head.

Someone who has BTDT reassure me that it'll be ok. (From the roommate list that just came out, she might be the only homeschooler there.  :crying: ) 

Y'all send your kids to summer camp four+ hours from home for a week and its ok, right? (It doesn't help that the first summer camp I went to was in about the same situation (co-ed, in a college dorm several hours away from home, didn't know anyone) and I came back "very grown up" - knowing a lot more about boys than I did when I left, IYKWIM.) 

Just a week?  She should be fine.  I'd just make sure she has a way to call home if she has any problems.

My 7yos are going (together) for their first sleep-away camp (2 nights, and they have another 1 night camp later this summer).  They are a little nervous, but I'm sure they will be fine.  My younger siblings started going for week-long camps when they were about 8.

Let us know how she likes it and what they do at the math camp.  I send my kids to a math day camp and they love it.

My son is the same age and I swear he is the only one of his friends (male and female, homeschooled and not) who have NOT gone away for at least a week for a summer camp. We haven't done it because I just can't afford it.

All his friends have come back raving about their experiences. They have all been very very positive about their time at a summer camp. Especially those who went to a camp that is organized about a specific thing, like math or science. For some of them it has been the first time they were around other kids who adored the subject like they do. They come back feeling very 'normal' and not alone, for some that is a first.

I hope she has a fantastic time and comes back energized and in love with math!

While I'm sure sometimes it goes wrong for some kids to be away, the risk in this case is usually worth the rich life (and math in this case!) experiences that it can bring.  Most adults I know who were camp kids still value those experiences - as do I.  It's something I hope to give my kids in a year or two.

My son is 10 and he is going to 4H camp for a week about an hour away.  I think he will have a wonderful time.  I am a little nervous because he is a bit shy, but will hope for the best and he does know other kids going. 

Y'all send your kids to summer camp four+ hours from home for a week and its ok, right? 

Would it help if I told you that I sent my then-12-year-old daughter to a residential early college program 13 hours from home?

I did, and she was fine. She was the youngest in her year, at that point the second youngest the program had taken. We moved her into the dorm In late August and didn't see her again until family weekend in October. 

We have the camp issue too this summer. One of my twins would like to go a one week sleep away church camp and the other does not :confused1: .  I will not force him to go but I wish he would. I would feel so much better if they were together. If not, it will be the first time they've ever been separated for more than a few hours. Should be interesting. Oh, to encourage you, all four of my older children went away to camp and 3 of the 4 loved it. The one who didn't like it at 10 loved it at 14 or so. He may have just not been ready. 

I was a coach/counsellor at the Army swim camp last year - sleep in the barracks, two-three workouts a day, no parents around, etc. Only one girl had any issues at all, and all she really wanted was a little attention at bedtime.  She was 9.  Everyone else was fine all week.

BTW, they still have openings:

http://www.goarmysports.com/camps/camps-dates.html

My two kids went to their first summer sleep away camp during middle school. It was four weeks long & on the other side of the US from us!  It was also one of the camps listed on the AoPS wiki, & I don't see any camps on that listing that I'd have any worries about.

They both had a wonderful time. They came back a little more grown up & confident. My son's voice changed during camp; we were really startled when we picked him up at the end, lol. Nothing bad happened! They stayed in touch with many of those kids & begged to go to camp again the next year (and the next, and...) :001_smile:

I was a coach/counsellor at the Army swim camp last year - sleep in the barracks, two-three workouts a day, no parents around, etc. Only one girl had any issues at all, and all she really wanted was a little attention at bedtime. She was 9. Everyone else was fine all week.

BTW, they still have openings:

http://www.goarmysports.com/camps/camps-dates.html

That is so cool! As an Army Vet who spent A LOT of time in the water I hope my kiddo is interested in something like this when she is older. I didn't even know they existed...what a great way for her to experience a bit of Army culture (ha!) AND get to swim, lol.

Thanks for the heads up:)

I dunno....Mine are 9 and 11 and we don't do sleepovers or sleepaway camps.  It's not that I don't feel they are safe; I just prefer them home at night.   

Trust me: I prefer to have mine home, too. Unfortunately, both of them like to be out in the world going and doing. And there are some things one just can't do without being away from home for a few nights.

I remembered after I posted that my son was 14, just a little older than your daughter, RootAnn, when he went to England for about three weeks with his choir. I missed him, and I won't pretend I didn't worry while he was gone. But he had a fantastic experience, and I'm thrilled that he was able to go.

I went to week-long sleepaway camp (platform tents in the woods!) beginning when I was 12 and every summer in high school included a two-week tour with a cbhurch music group. There was certainly some growing up through those experiences, but nothing I wouldn't have learned soooner or later elsewhere, y'know? The maturity we developed in other areas (from experiences like staying with host families, performing in front of large audiences, meeting youth from other cultures, being responsible for getting ourselves to convention programs & classes on time) was well worth anything we might have picked up along those lines (and we did, like the night we spent in a youth hostel that, unbeknownst to the organizers, had a single co-ed restroom!), so please consider the positive ways she'll be able to "grow up" as well.

My nephew, starting at age 10 or 11, has been attending a specialized two-week summer program a thousand miles from his home. I don't know if there has been any of the "growing up" you're worried about, but it has done wonders for his self-confidence.

My 6 & 7 yo girls will be going (together) to a 3-night sleepaway camp this summer, and hopefully more in the future. I'm sure I'll worry, but hopefully I will be able to keep those positives in mind when the time comes!

I dunno....Mine are 9 and 11 and we don't do sleepovers or sleepaway camps.  It's not that I don't feel they are safe; I just prefer them home at night.   

Well, I think every parent prefers their kids home at night. Heck, I'd like my 14 year old and 9 year old in the same darn room sleeping with us, but I don't think they would go for it at this point, lol. At around 4 years of age they both requested their own beds and space. It was on their timetable, not mine.

But sometimes the experience or fun my kid will have outweighs my preference. My kids didn't do sleepovers until they were older than most of their friends, they still don't do many, but they let me know when they were ready. And I will die a thousand times when my eldest goes away somewhere for a couple days or a week etc, it has to happen sooner or later, but I will survive and he will thrive. 

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. This particular kid's personality at home is that of a first born (dominance, leader) but completely different when she's out in the world (quiet, shy, follower). I've almost always sent her with her little sister. (Lil sis is the quiet, shy type at home but actually does really well coming out of her shell & trying new things when she's away from home. It was a shocker for us parents when we read the two kids' review pages from camp last year as we figured they'd accidentally switched them. :huh:)

She's nervous too, but I'm projecting to her the outward confidence I don't feel. Y'all can give me the confidence I don't have. (She doesn't realize I'm nervous for her, but if I ramp up anymore, she'll pick up on it because I'll start babbling.) I will definitely be worried about her the whole time she's gone - but I still want her to go. I grew a ton every time I was away from my family and I want her to have that opportunity. I'm just nervous for her - and I admit part of it is because of the unknown math factor.

I appreciate all the replies. I won't worry about the later kids as much, but sending the eldest off by herself is scary for me.  :crying:  

I hate when my kids went/go to camp. I worry when they bike in congested cities, take subways, fly- in this country and elsewhere- when they drive, when they are being driven etc etc. If it wasn't insane or illegal to keep them locked in the house,or chained to me, I would probably do that. ;) It's hard to not worry. However, as children get older, they grow from experiences that are not dependent on parents all of the time. My children loved/love camp. For the majority of kids, summer camp experiences are cherished.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread again and provide an update.

We picked dd up today from math camp. She had a blast and wants to go again next year. It helped that the kids were able to check email a couple of times, so she had some contact with us which staved off homesickness. While she felt that she was on the poor end of the (competition) math abilities in the group, she really liked some of the other activities, learned things, made friends, and enjoyed her time on the college campus. She was the only homeschooled kid there, BTW,  but it didn't matter to the other kids in the slightest. The supervision was tremendous which made my momma heart glad.

So, thanks again!  :hurray:

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread again and provide an update.

We picked dd up today from math camp. She had a blast and wants to go again next year. It helped that the kids were able to check email a couple of times, so she had some contact with us which staved off homesickness. While she felt that she was on the poor end of the (competition) math abilities in the group, she really liked some of the other activities, learned things, made friends, and enjoyed her time on the college campus. She was the only homeschooled kid there, BTW, but it didn't matter to the other kids in the slightest. The supervision was tremendous which made my momma heart glad.

So, thanks again! :hurray:

Awesome ! So glad it worked out. :) nothing like a hug from your child when they have been away a week ;)