Menu

Wanting to study everything!

I find one of my biggest challenges in planning is choosing WHAT to study. My children are older so they have a lot of say in the matter but they often express the same thing I feel- it ALL sounds interesting!

I begin with one topic and before I know it I have found 4 or 5 more sub-topics that I also want to pursue. There is just not enough time to learn all of the things we are interested in!

Not a terribly bad problem to have, of course. I need to learn when to stop and say enough is enough, though. Otherwise, I spend too much time and energy finding NEW things to study without spending the time to actually study anything in depth. I keep filling my Amazon cart, then moving everything to "save for later" then starting again. I also have this issue of looking for "the best" and since there will always be differing opinions about what is the best, I am creating trouble for myself!

Anyone else have this "problem"?

Anyone have tips for moving forward and just choosing already?

Yes.  My Amazon cart is so full I fear I will max out the limit...or accidentally move them all to purchase and end up in debtors prison...:)  And walking into a used book store that has curriculum 80-95% off?  Forget about it!   :lol:

No tips.  Still trying to find a way to work it out.  Good luck!

Yep, I've managed to "pare" down my Amazon cart to only 50 books I want.  They cover a very wide range of topics that we'll never get to.  Instead I only buy the books that pertain to what I've decided to teach that year.  Leaving books like "The Brain" for either next year or DD's b-day (she would love it).

I have the same problem, but I have taught myself to narrow things down to some manageable level. This does not mean that I don't collect hundreds of books, though. I am afraid to post a picture of my living room bookshelves.

Pretend you are at an ice cream shop where everything looks delicious. Then pick something like this: a language, history of something, a physical science, a life science, and an area of literature. Pick one of them to work on every day (I do French every day), and two for three days a week, and two for two days a week. After a couple of months, see what you really want to stick with, or have satisfied your curiosity about, or don't want to spend another bunch of money on buying every book on invertebrate zoology or whatever. This is what I had to do after years of being such a generalist that I drove myself crazy.

Every time we declutter and rearrange to have more space in a room another bookshelf magically appears! It helps organize what is left, then grows to the full - shelf stage, and with increasing rapidity matures to the stage of overflowing.

I must be the target of an over-zealous book fairy!

Every time we declutter and rearrange to have more space in a room another bookshelf magically appears! It helps organize what is left, then grows to the full - shelf stage, and with increasing rapidity matures to the stage of overflowing.

I must be the target of an over-zealous book fairy!

Oh, look! 3 more Great Courses have arrived on my doorstep. Poor little guys! Do you need a home? C'mon in....

Oh, look! 3 more Great Courses have arrived on my doorstep. Poor little guys! Do you need a home? C'mon in....

I just realized: I'm turning into the crazy book lady!

I've got a young one and we have the same problem. Next year will be kindy and here is what she wants to learn: spelling, math with big numbers, pretty much everything in the field of science, art, about the orchestra, violin, piano, drums, Spanish, French, any language that uses a non-Western alphabet, history, weaving, cooking, simple machines, how to build a robot, computer programming, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I thought it would be *me* that had to keep expectations in check. Instead, it's the kid!

I think your kids will be in good company... :)

“I am a product [...of] endless books. My father bought all the books he read and never got rid of any of them. There were books in the study, books in the drawing room, books in the cloakroom, books (two deep) in the great bookcase on the landing, books in a bedroom, books piled as high as my shoulder in the cistern attic, books of all kinds reflecting every transient stage of my parents' interest, books readable and unreadable, books suitable for a child and books most emphatically not. Nothing was forbidden me. In the seemingly endless rainy afternoons I took volume after volume from the shelves. I had always the same certainty of finding a book that was new to me as a man who walks into a field has of finding a new blade of grass.â€

― C.S. Lewis

I've got a young one and we have the same problem. Next year will be kindy and here is what she wants to learn: spelling, math with big numbers, pretty much everything in the field of science, art, about the orchestra, violin, piano, drums, Spanish, French, any language that uses a non-Western alphabet, history, weaving, cooking, simple machines, how to build a robot, computer programming, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I thought it would be *me* that had to keep expectations in check. Instead, it's the kid!

Here's a start: http://yemenlinks.com/Theme/ALM_Writing :)

I am in the long process of emptying my house-sat, city-house so I can rent it out, into the rented farmhouse we live in.

So every trip we do to town for a child-drop, I take a trailer and empty boxes.

Then I overload the car with books etc.

We've just about finished the books. We have a room here filled with overcrowded shelves and piled in the middle with heavy book boxes.

I'm really looking forward to being able to find those 'friends' again, knowing which shelf(table/bedside pile) each is in.

Or at least which room/shelf to look on.

Many have been boxed and all have been mixed up for a few years.

I am anticipating a heavy cull, but that doesn't always go to plan.

You know if we didn't read, home-educate, self-educate, sew, build or camp we would have a HECK of a lot less stuff.

By the way Connections, if you DO end up wanting to study everything, maybe come over and browse.

Imagine if we all shared our Amazon lists with each other. The Internet would probably explode.

Or at least my bank account would...

When (not if) I've got my bookshelves in order I intend to invest/waste many hours building a librarything shelf.

https://www.librarything.com/

Now those are lists we should link to. (But only after WTM has got the amazon link tab thing going.)

I hear ya, too!

I try to pare down our school topics then keep notes all over the place with what we want to do another time because it won't fit in our schedule right now. We are going so slowly through history and biology at the moment and going to simply continue next year because of all the rabbit trails we ended up following.

Bookstores are dangerous places for me, too, and I am not even going to look at the Teaching Company catalog that came in the mail yesterday…well, maybe one little peek?

I hear ya, too!

I try to pare down our school topics then keep notes all over the place with what we want to do another time because it won't fit in our schedule right now. We are going so slowly through history and biology at the moment and going to simply continue next year because of all the rabbit trails we ended up following.

Bookstores are dangerous places for me, too, and I am not even going to look at the Teaching Company catalog that came in the mail yesterday…well, maybe one little peek?

Do the rabbit trails lead to any panic in the high school years? (We are on the brink of high school.) Fitting everything in neat little packages with course titles seems anxiety inducing for those of us who want to follow those trails.

Lol. This just hit me with languages. An "educational mentor" of mine poses the question Latin or Greek? And then of course I studied Biblical Hebrew in my late 20s and would love to get back to that. My sick little mind wonders, "Why not all 3?"

But reality is, we'll do well to do one well and then just expose to any others for the love of leaning and languages. :) Maybe that is what the rabbit trail is for...passion. And honestly, the "really smart" people I know are great rabbit-trailing, mind-mapping thinkers.

I have a question that I think is relevant to the discussion. What is the difference between an intellectual infatuation and an intellectual passion? Can you tell the difference? If so, when? And how do you help a child to discover the difference?

I have a question that I think is relevant to the discussion. What is the difference between an intellectual infatuation and an intellectual passion? Can you tell the difference? If so, when? And how do you help a child to discover the difference?

In my opinion, you encourage without taking over, and let that interest run its course.  If they are still interested in a few years, terrific.  Maybe they can turn it into a career or at least a lifelong passion.  If not, that is just fine, too.  The knowledge, experience and joy they gained from doing something they had a strong interest in, even for just a season of their lives, will carry them on into other things.  Inspiring the love of and desire to pursue learning is, IMHO, more important than mastering a particular skill or content area.  Does that make any sense?  :)

Well, I'm trying to refine my ideas on intellectual infatuation vs. intellectual passion.. I swear I've read something about this recently. Just not sure where.

I may come back and post when I've chewed on the idea for a while.

To the OP:

Repeat: Multum non multa. Much, not many. And keep repeating.

This is so me, specifically the language part. Starting in high school to the present day - I have at least 70-100 books on languages. Many different languages, no more than 20 books in one language (Russian and Spanish, each), and many languages I have had 'wanderlust' for. From Irish to Hindi to Korean... pretty much any of the popular languages have at least a couple books. I studied Russian at university specifically because of the alphabet, and I taught myself quite a bit of Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, and Greek simply because of the alphabets. And that's not even counting Dutch - I still have hundreds of kids books that I had growing up, just waiting for my kids to get old enough to read them.

Well, I'm trying to refine my ideas on intellectual infatuation vs. intellectual passion.. I swear I've read something about this recently. Just not sure where.

To the OP:

I think Rose (Chrysalis Academy) discussed this a bit in another thread. If she didn't, she should. :toetap05: :lol:

I've decided to let myself not finish books more often. I'm reading lots and lots, just not finishing the books! Thus, I had to bail from the book-a-week thread!  :lol:  I've read lots of books partially, but not one all the way through this week...

I've started to do the same with Lily--letting her be more fluid with books, to a degree. This is just an experiment, so don't try this at home....

I order a book (or books) about a topic and then halfway through something else catches our eye. Instead of forcing ourselves to finish the other book/s, we can just move on. Often we come back to finish the books later. (Using the term often is quite a stretch.... we just started this new approach....maybe I should actually see if it works before waxing lyrical....)

Just try working at a reasonably nice library!

I did that as a kid for a traffic ticket thing.  It was really painful because they expected me to pick up a book, put it on the shelf and then never see it again!  Can you imagine!    

I checked out a lot of books.  I think they thought I was doing it so I didn't have to shelve them.  But, I often checked out the book that was next to the one I shelved.  

Yeah, I have this problem too. :)

I move forward by allowing myself to gather ideas, lists, and books throughout the school year, never spending too much time planning (though I do take many notes in a homeschool journal.) I spend the whole summer going through what I have and meticulously plan the year. I prioritize resources by asking myself how bummed I'd be if this book or that work never got used, then I prioritize by what work they'll out grow soonest. Sometimes I have to say "Ah crud! I waited too long to bring this work out, now they'll just think it's lame or babyish."  Once the summer plan is done, I let it go. I try really hard not to waste the school year messing with what I organized on our off months. Of course sometimes my ideas flop and I have to spend a weekend re-doing something, but I just remedy it and not mess with what is working.

There's lots of awesome stuff out there, you can't do it all, but I think with good scheduling you can get a lot in. I do use summer vacation to use some stuff  we ran out of time for. This summer we're watching a Great Courses photography series... we did the travel photography course before a trip, and I got one kid into playing with tilt shift... just trying to lure them into my web of cool new things to get into. :) Thanksgiving, winter, and spring break are also used in clever ways. I like to use winter break as a time to catch up on adding art stickers and postcards to our timelines... It's a little something I felt was worth squeeeeezing in. Now it's a bit of a tradition. Not every neat idea you have has to take up a lot of time, and can still have a positive effect on their education. 

I'll give you an example. This summer I'm organizing a study of the blues. I recorded the idea in winter and poked around for resources. My mind is on it and I'm thinking, thinking, thinking. Spring vacation comes and I spend a few days immersed in trying to figure out how to structure it. I find a way to make it work. Then school comes back and it's back to pondering. Now my ears are pricked and I find a few lucky resources to set aside. Friends and family know I'm thinking about it and start sharing ideas.It's starting to come together and make sense. Summer approaches, and I'm like... "Hmmm... is it worth it? Do I really want to do this? Seriously, how much time will this take up? How can I make this not be a time suck in the school year??" Stuff like that. 2 more weeks of school and I have to decide. I know how to organize it, I know how much time I want to give a week to it, I have enough resources and anything else I find is bonus. As soon as vacation starts I'm going for it!

So... in another post you mention high school. Yeah... Is there time? Where does it fit in? Is this high school-y? I've made a leap in high school, one that maybe a lot of other parents don't here. I follow the rabbit trails. My kids are going straight to CC when they graduate high school. I don't apply credits to what we study. I don't let university hopes dictate what we learn in high school. We work very hard on core subjects and we work equally hard on other less traditional subjects and interests. It works for us because I refuse to carry on this way fearfully, we all know how hard we work, and I find peace and joy in the end results. The kids are happy and thriving. Like I said, it may not be the most popular approach here... but, Oh well!! I started a goofy thread a while ago on the HS board about going to the beat of our own drum, it's there if you're interested in this take. 

hth! 

Do the rabbit trails lead to any panic in the high school years? (We are on the brink of high school.) Fitting everything in neat little packages with course titles seems anxiety inducing for those of us who want to follow those trails.

I am only homeschooling my youngest. My older two are in high school at the local public school. I have not had to fit anything into high school course descriptions yet. I plan to be creative with that.

To the OP:

I think Rose (Chrysalis Academy) discussed this a bit in another thread. If she didn't, she should. :toetap05: :lol:

Yep, here's the thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/510458-how-far-do-you-go-in-encouraging-a-young-childs-passion/

And may I just say, I feel like I just wandered into a room in a church basement.  I need to pour myself a cup of black coffee, sit in one of the uncomfortable folding chairs and say, "Hi, I'm Rose, and I'm a bookaholic."

And you all say . . . . "Hi Rose!"

I avoided this thread for awhile, because now that I am officially relaxed, I'm not allowed to plan for us to study everything anymore.

I still buy all the books - I just picked up the TC course Classical Mythology that we won't use till 8th grade . . . and Art of Poetry which we won't get to till 9th at least . . . and I have 4 rickety stacks on my office floor of all the schooly-type books that won't fit on my bookshelves.  

BUT!  I am successfully (at the moment) limiting what I plan to have us do in a single school day, and I have to say it's working out beautifully so far.  Our days are more peaceful  Lots of good learning happens each day . . . just not all of it.  I'm carving out space for Shannon to pursue some of her passionate interests, and for us all to follow our current collective passion, which is Shakespeare.  

It's a dance, though.  With planning, I manage to cut and streamline, and then I find something else great that I absolutely want to fit in somewhere!  So I feel like my plans are like a jellyfish, constantly expanding and contracting, and all the while extremely, extremely slippery.  And if you poke them you might get stung.  ;)  :D

I suspect it does all come down to the teaching from a state of rest thing.... :laugh:

And I'm still working out the differences between what constitutes an intellectual infatuation and a true intellectual passion. Maybe someday I'll do a post on it, but it's all thoughts on a yellow legal pad at this point. 

Yep, here's the thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/510458-how-far-do-you-go-in-encouraging-a-young-childs-passion/

And may I just say, I feel like I just wandered into a room in a church basement.  I need to pour myself a cup of black coffee, sit in one of the uncomfortable folding chairs and say, "Hi, I'm Rose, and I'm a bookaholic."

And you all say . . . . "Hi Rose!"

But don't you need to add how long since your last...book/curriculum acquisition?

I thought I could proudly say a couple of weeks, but I just checked with my secretary and she reminded me I got her a Ladybird Plant book at the op shop last Friday.

So only 6 days for me.

Humbling. I should take up heavy drinking instead, I've heard its a good way to reduce possessions.

That actually wasn't where I'd been reading about the passion vs infatuation bit. Good series of posts, and I got some ideas from it.

I'm not sure how it applies entirely to the OP's initial question, but I know I'd sure save a mint of money and a gob-full of time if I could tell an intellectual infatuation from true love....

But don't you need to add how long since your last...book/curriculum acquisition?

I thought I could proudly say a couple of weeks, but I just checked with my secretary and she reminded me I got her a Ladybird Plant book at the op shop last Friday.

So only 6 days for me.

Humbling. I should take up heavy drinking instead, I've heard its a good way to reduce possessions.

Yeah, well, the Art of Poetry and Mythology books arrived . . .  today  :leaving:

One day at a time, right?  :laugh:

I've decided to let myself not finish books more often. I'm reading lots and lots, just not finishing the books! Thus, I had to bail from the book-a-week thread!  :lol:  I've read lots of books partially, but not one all the way through this week...

I've started to do the same with Lily--letting her be more fluid with books, to a degree. This is just an experiment, so don't try this at home....

I order a book (or books) about a topic and then halfway through something else catches our eye. Instead of forcing ourselves to finish the other book/s, we can just move on. Often we come back to finish the books later. (Using the term often is quite a stretch.... we just started this new approach....maybe I should actually see if it works before waxing lyrical....)

This is so me!  I can't tell you how often I run out of bookmarks because they are all being "used" in the books I'm reading.  Seriously, I just counted a dozen books on the nightstand that have bookmarks in them, and that is just the ones that are right here...