Menu

Saxon Algebra 1 users - quick question

Algebra 1 is algebra.

Algebra 1/2 is sort of pre-algebra.

Is that what you were asking?

Yes, I have information from an online review but it is for Saxon Algebra 1/2

According to one amazon reviewer: ...Algebra 1/2 ...is comprised of 123 lessons, 31 tests and a number of Topics labeled from A to J...

But however, now that I revisited the review (I just remembered reading it earlier this week), I realize that Algebra 1/2 and Algebra 1 are clearly two different things. Sorry to the OP.

I found a word document by googling "Saxon Algebra 1 Test Schedule"

There was no explanation within the document itself, but someone has written this up and I don't know if this is just how *they* use it, or if this is how the publisher intends the test to be used.

This is what the test schedule that I found contains:

Lesson 1-8

Test 1

Lesson 9-12

Test 2

Lesson 13-16

Test 3

Lesson 17-20

Test 4

Lesson 21-24

Test 5

Lesson 25-28

Test 6

Lesson 29-32

Test 7

Lesson 33-36

Test 8

Lesson 37-40

Test 9

Lesson 41-44

Test 10

Lesson 45-48

Test 11

Lesson 49-52

Test 12

Lesson 53-56

Test 13

Lesson 54-60

Test 14

Lesson 61-64

Test 15

Lesson 65-68

Test 16

Lesson 69-72

Test 17

Lesson 73-76

Test 18

Lesson 77-80

Test 19

Lesson 81-84

Test 20

Lesson 85-88

Test 21

Lesson 89-92

Test 22

Lesson 93-96

Test 23

Lesson 97-100

Test 24

Lesson 101-104

Test 25

Lesson 105-108

Test 26

Lesson 109-112

Test 27

Lesson 113-116

Test 28

Lesson 117-120

Test 29

Lesson 1-120 review

Test 30

I'm not sure the testing schedule is the same for the different versions. I didn't use the tests and many, many, many long term users don't either.

I thought there was a test after every 4 lessons, but it has been a LONG time since I used the tests. I quickly abandoned them.

I'm not sure the testing schedule is the same for the different versions. I didn't use the tests and many, many, many long term users don't either.

I thought there was a test after every 4 lessons, but it has been a LONG time since I used the tests. I quickly abandoned them.

I think the older edition may have had tests every five lessons. Not quite sure.

Thanks! 

I had actually pulled up that scope and sequence and didn't read far enough to see it had the info I was looking for. Ooops!

That's a LOT of tests. I wonder what the idea behind that is?  :huh:

Good to know I can take them or leave them. If I switch my dd to Saxon, I might just do every other one or so. 

Thanks! 

I had actually pulled up that scope and sequence and didn't read far enough to see it had the info I was looking for. Ooops!

Good to know I can take them or leave them. If I switch my dd to Saxon, I might just do every other one or so. 

I found the weekly tests overkill.

I believe the idea was that tests were for Friday, and being shorter left time for a little something else. The tests are scheduled into the 180 day school year.

I didn't like being locked into a 5 day schedule and when we did tests on Monday the scores were lower than Fridays. Some people delay the tests longer than suggested and claim that Monday scores don't drop, if the student had more practice. I always worried that might mean that a topic had been dropped from the problem sets by then, though. I just got so stressed over the tests.

Saxon lessons are LONG. Having less than 180 lessons is a blessing. Algebra 1 2nd edition has 135 lessons. That's enough work. In a school, where children are doing problem sets unsupervised might require supervised tests to determine how students are truly doing, but in a homeschool setting, each problem set is a test.

I like the frequent tests because it helps me to catch any deficiencies before they become ginormous problems after having done 10 -15 lessons.  The tests aren't really a source of stress here; worst case scenario is that DD bombs one, but then I know exactly where I need to go to remediate.

Thanks! 

I like the frequent tests because it helps me to catch any deficiencies before they become ginormous problems after having done 10 -15 lessons.  The tests aren't really a source of stress here; worst case scenario is that DD bombs one, but then I know exactly where I need to go to remediate.

I am going to go ahead and get them. I am strongly leaning towards Saxon for this child now. What we're using now is quite mastery, and she's easily bored with repetition. Can't think of a better way to make someone nuts.  :tongue_smilie:

I haven't used them all.  In fact, I only used two so far and we are more than halfway through the book.  There are so many problems in the book.  If I see my son is getting stuff mostly right then I don't think the test is going to give me extra useful information.

The test packed does contain an answer key, right? I was only planning to get the student book, the solution manual and the test packet (not the homeschool packet). 

What we're using now is quite mastery, and she's easily bored with repetition. Can't think of a better way to make someone nuts.

That's always been my thought when people say Saxon isn't a fit for gifted kids.  

I think Saxon is perfect for gifted kids because it keeps shaking things up!   :)

The answer key is another, separate book.  It has the answers for both the tests, as well as the book's lesson.  

The answers to the tests are not in the test forms.  They are in the homeschool packet answer key.

But maybe they are also in the solutions manual?  That I would not know.  I have the Teacher CD rather than the solutions manual.

Thanks for checking! I just ordered the book and the solutions manual used from amazon. I will wait and see if the solutions manual contains the answers and if it doesn't, now I know what does. 

Don't need it til fall anyway. 

That's always been my thought when people say Saxon isn't a fit for gifted kids.  

I think Saxon is perfect for gifted kids because it keeps shaking things up!   :)

The answer key is another, separate book.  It has the answers for both the tests, as well as the book's lesson.  

Yeah. Every year or so, I consider going back to it and every year I talk myself out of it. I just bought it to give it a good looking over. 

We have other subjects. I think Saxon will simplify my life. 

The Homeschool Virtual Group's free Algebra class has a test after every 4 lessons. They do all the problems for 2 lessons/week and just the new material for 2 lessons/week. The online tests and assignments are automatically graded (so you don't need an answer key!) Here's the link:

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/

Cool! Thanks for sharing that. 

I disagree strongly with the bolded above.  I've been around this block as long as it's been here and people DO use the tests, especially in the later grades and especially if they're long term users.  Your statement doesn't match my observations or experience at all.

FWIW, OP there are 30 tests in Saxon Algebra 1 and they are laid out to focus on the 4 lessons previous to week prior to the test.  So, test 1 is scheduled after lesson 8, but focuses on lessons 1-4.  Test 24 is scheduled after lesson 100, but focuses on lessons 93-96.  You will not find the immediately prior lessons on a test (e.g. Test 24 does not have questions from lessons 97-100).   

The tests also include questions from lessons prior to the focus lessons, so as with the problem sets, you are getting continual review of concepts. 

IMO and IME the tests are an important and an integral part of the Saxon method.  The tests provide very good feedback to the teacher as to which concepts are truly mastered and which may need revisiting as you move along.  In a spiral mastery method such as Saxon, this review is key.  A wise teacher will use the results of the carefully crafted tests to see where the student may need revising on certain concepts. 

The tests, after all and as any experienced and truly engaged teacher can tell you, are not as much for the student as for the teacher, so that the teacher can readily see if they have taught the concept well enough, and if not, where the learning needs further re-enforcement.

The Homeschool Virtual Group's free Algebra class has a test after every 4 lessons. They do all the problems for 2 lessons/week and just the new material for 2 lessons/week. The online tests and assignments are automatically graded (so you don't need an answer key!) Here's the link:

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/

Cool! Thanks for sharing that. 

I agree. Very cool. We've been doing every problem all year, but dd is nearing the end and I think I could live with this kind of schedule right now.

I disagree strongly with the bolded above.  I've been around this block as long as it's been here and people DO use the tests, especially in the later grades and especially if they're long term users.  Your statement doesn't match my observations or experience at all.

FWIW, OP there are 30 tests in Saxon Algebra 1 and they are laid out to focus on the 4 lessons previous to week prior to the test.  So, test 1 is scheduled after lesson 8, but focuses on lessons 1-4.  Test 24 is scheduled after lesson 100, but focuses on lessons 93-96.  You will not find the immediately prior lessons on a test (e.g. Test 24 does not have questions from lessons 97-100).   

The tests also include questions from lessons prior to the focus lessons, so as with the problem sets, you are getting continual review of concepts. 

IMO and IME the tests are an important and an integral part of the Saxon method.  The tests provide very good feedback to the teacher as to which concepts are truly mastered and which may need revisiting as you move along.  In a spiral mastery method such as Saxon, this review is key.  A wise teacher will use the results of the carefully crafted tests to see where the student may need revising on certain concepts. 

The tests, after all and as any experienced and truly engaged teacher can tell you, are not as much for the student as for the teacher, so that the teacher can readily see if they have taught the concept well enough, and if not, where the learning needs further re-enforcement.

If a mom were checking every problem every day, wouldn't that give the same information?

If a mom were checking every problem every day, wouldn't that give the same information?

Yes, but that's not how everyone uses it.  I have dd check her daily work, and tell me her score.  I only get involved if she can't tell where she went wrong in a problem.  I check the tests, and we talk about any she got wrong, to see if it's an understanding problem or just being in a hurry.

Yes, but that's not how everyone uses it.  I have dd check her daily work, and tell me her score.  I only get involved if she can't tell where she went wrong in a problem.  I check the tests, and we talk about any she got wrong, to see if it's an understanding problem or just being in a hurry.

I could see how if a parent weren't checking every problem than the tests could be helpful. Using the tests in that way seems reasonable, but ideally, I'd like to catch a problem at the very start.

Personally, I do check every problem and mostly each lesson after it's finished and before stating the next one. Dd is in the last quarter of algebra one and the lessons are taking longer. I don't know if it's spring and/or allergies or if the lessons are genuinely more challenging for her.

Checking the problems every day and then also having my DD do the Saxon tests gives an entirely different result here.  DD is extremely careless in her daily work, even though she knows the concepts; so she gets lots wrong on her daily work.  But when I tell her she will lose the points for careless mistakes on a test, she puts on her test hat and gets between 90-100 on Saxon tests.  I usually know when she is careless on daily work, rather than lacking understanding, but the tests give me solid, tangible proof of my observations.

Checking the problems every day and then also having my DD do the Saxon tests gives an entirely different result here.  DD is extremely careless in her daily work, even though she knows the concepts; so she gets lots wrong on her daily work.  But when I tell her she will lose the points for careless mistakes on a test, she puts on her test hat and gets between 90-100 on Saxon tests.  I usually know when she is careless on daily work, rather than lacking understanding, but the tests give me solid, tangible proof of my observations.

Thank you for sharing these observations. Dd will be taking a math placement test soon so perhaps giving her some tests to do in the weeks prior will help develop a sense of carefulness. Since vision therapy, though, she is making much fewer mistakes in her daily work.