Menu

Unit studies based around literature (chapter books)

Does something like this exist? I'm thinking... you read Charlotte's Web, and at simultaneously, you do little studies/projects on spiders, agriculture, pigs, Iowa (or whatever state it's set in), etc. Sort of like FIAR but for bigger kids? Does anyone know of something like this?

I lead a book club that did this last year. They read the book at home, we got together to discuss the book, and did all the activities that same day in rotating groups. I just put together the unit study activities myself, pulling a few from literature guides here and there and things found online. I'm planning to do it again next year and divide the ages more but with books using the same themes.

Here is an example of one of our meetings last year.

Little House on the Prairie:

mapping the trip they took to Kansas

science of the candle going out in the well and first aid then versus now

sewing small quilt pieces together

music from the time period

games the children mentioned in the book

making flapjacks  and eating the heart shaped cakes they got for Christmas

chalk drawing a person from the Osage tribe

I've posted several lesson plans/inspiration by chapter. They are similar to what you describe, but some are not particularly pretty in formatting. They are free though, so that might make up for the varying degrees of presentation.

Nim's Island by Wendy Orr: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2012/01/13/nims-island-literature-adventure-overview/

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2010/08/18/the-door-in-the-wall-literature-adventure-lesson-plans/

Leonardo da Vinci by Kathleen Krull: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2013/05/14/leonardo-da-vinci-lesson-plans/

For a book series there are Prairie Primer (Little House series)& Further Up and Further In ( Narnia) . Teacher Created Whole literature Units make lots of single units for many books. We used them for some of our early American lit.

I love PP, FUFI and also  Where the Brook and River Meet (Anne of Green Gables study). All found at Cadroncreek.com . 

We really like the Homeschool Share units.  Some of the book choices are not my favorite though.  But for a free literature unit study program.... you can't beat it.

Also if you have an American Girl fan there is Portraits of an American Girlhood plus there is a blogger who has included lots of fun extras for this fun study.

Would you mind if I asked your daughter's grade and if the AG books were her only literature readings? I'm curious about this for my two girls. Tia!

The study is suggested for 2nd - 5th, but I would say it is better suited for 4th and up, based on the writing lessons. We did one unit while dd was in the 2nd but found it a bit too challenging for her, so I set it aside. By the time she was halfway thru the 3rd (8 1/2 yo) it a much better fit. 

In addition to the AG books it is suggested that they read from the Welcome to ____'s World books. These are excellent and cover social studies and history of the time. If you don't want to buy used (they are OOP) you can use a history text if you wish.  Also, some units assign the reading of 1-2 bios.

Felicity- Betsy Ross and George Washington

Josefina- 

Kirsten- 

Addy- Abe Lincoln

Samantha-Tom Edison, Write Bros, (Susan B. Anthony ??)

Kit- Amelia Earhart

Molly- 

The units also have suggestions for enrichment and several suggestions are other bios. or books on some historic event. For instance for Molly an idea for enrichment is researching Pearl Harbor. There is more, but that gives you an idea of how full this study can be.

To Kirsten we added Pioneer Sampler and it is excellent!

CurrClick has lots by different publishers and they send freebies. This weeks is Time Pockets which integrate with unit study for one of the little prairie books.

Someone else mentioned Confessions of a Homeschooler. I don't have any of her literature unit studies yet, but I have LOTS of her other stuff and I find it very affordable and quality. She has a great blog in general.

I think BYFIAR sounds just like what you're looking for. They are very meaty and cover a lot. I always about just picking whichever guide to go with a random book because I always think I will miss something important. The S&S if fiar is great I feel confident we will cover all the important things.