Menu

I'm looking for a fun all-in-one LA

Marie131

Particularly for 2nd grade.  My son likes twaddle, so fun cutsie activities would be great.  He is an excellent reader, so I don't need a learn to read program but his writing is at grade level.  I was looking at LLATL red and it looks perfect, except that the reading is way too easy.  Suggestions?

For second grade, we didn't do any actual curriculum for LA this year.  I used www.homeschoolshare.com for lapbooks that were free and for lapbook components to make my own if they didn't have a lapbook to go with the book we chose.  I also used some Hands of a Child ebooks for the same purpose. You can get spelling and vocabulary words from the reading and do some fun games with those...we also did Adventures in Grammarland by EL Nesbit for grammar.  There are several sites that have it as a free audio plus several options for free notebooking pages to go with it.  It's a good intro to the different grammar concepts.  We did a new chapter a week but you could easily do it over two weeks as well to stretch it out.  

Hope that helps!

We have the same problem with an advanced reader but reluctant writer. 

We really liked Writing Tales when one of my older ones was younger. It's geared to third or fourth grade and includes grammer. The reading is short and easy, though. But it does introduce literature analysis, so you could get away with that and let him just read on the side according to his interests.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to check them out.  We are currently using English Lessons through Literature.  He doesn't have the attention span for listening to long stories (yet he has the attention span to read them to himself - go figure!).  Otherwise he likes it, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. 

I would suggest LLATL with lots of free reading and/or reading in other subjects. Works well for us.

Do you use it at grade level? 

I was looking at the one for his grade level and it uses early readers.  He just completed reading a 500+ page graphic novel, so I think Frog and Toad could be a touch easy ;)  I don't want to skip him over the cute cut and paste stuff b/c I know he really likes that.  Does yellow still do a lot of cut and paste or should I just keep him at grade level?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to check them out.  We are currently using English Lessons through Literature.  He doesn't have the attention span for listening to long stories (yet he has the attention span to read them to himself - go figure!).  Otherwise he likes it, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. 

Do you use it at grade level? 

I was looking at the one for his grade level and it uses early readers.  He just completed reading a 500+ page graphic novel, so I think Frog and Toad could be a touch easy ;)  I don't want to skip him over the cute cut and paste stuff b/c I know he really likes that.  Does yellow still do a lot of cut and paste or should I just keep him at grade level?

Yes, I used it at grade level. When determining which level to use of LLATL it is not suggest to use the reading skills for a guide. The reading in LLATL is used for the lessons in other areas, not  so much for a lot of reading practice. This is more true for the lower levels than say the Orange and up. The cut and paste is pretty much gone by the time you get to the Yellow book.

LLATL is a fave here, even though the reading level is easy, the skills addressed have REALLY given my youngest a strong foundation. I've been using it along with Winter Promise LA, mostly because my dd likes the readers lol but also because it has more of the hands-on fun stuff that she needs (the older guides that did not schedule their self-published books are much better IMO).

Another vote for McRuffy if you're looking for cutesie activities, twaddle, and all-in-one.

(I should also say that I'm not disparaging it when I say that.  My son has been using it this year in school and we're doing the second grade level at home next year).

I am a LLATL dissenter, lol.  Yet, I still use it because I haven't really found anything better...or at least, I haven't found what I'm looking for (go right ahead and sing that just like Bono....because I know I did!)

I used Red level this past year with my two 2nd graders.  I found the reading level to be too far below grade level.  The writing instruction was minimal.  The spelling was paltry.  The grammar was acceptable.  The "busy" work (cut and paste) was a bit ridiculous, imo.  We supplemented a lot.

I used AAS for spelling.  I came up with my own writing instruction.  I used Spectrum Reading for practice with reading comprehension (mostly because mine have to take standardized testing and I want them accustomed to those types of evaluations).  

I also used Spectrum Language Arts for grammar practice because the grammar concepts in LLATL are kind of scattered.  

I have heard that LLATL gets better in Yellow level, so we're going ahead and using it next year.  I have already bought it and looked through and, so far, am still not in love with it.  I think I'm going to end up using LLATL for the grammar aspects and possibly the writing instruction, depending on how that plays out throughout Yellow.  

I will continue with AAS for spelling.  And I will probably assign reading from Lit guides.  

I have to say...the most appealing part of LLATL to me is that it is, eventually, thorough.  It does cover everything they need, if you stick with it through multiple levels.  I like that we can follow it right through high school.  

But overall...I'm still on the lookout for a better Language Arts program.