Menu

I think I'm done with reading Trilogies

Fun thread!

Question for those in the know: Is Brandon Sanderson's Elantris a stand alone novel?

Regards,

Kareni

He is planning a sequel somewhere down the road, but it ends at a good place so you're not left hanging. I would consider it a stand alone if you want it to be  ;)

(Also, The Emperor's Soul is set on the same planet, but a different part of the world with completely different characters. It is a fun read after Elantris.)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my falling out with trilogies long ago although I will read the third book of the Kingkiller chronicles because Rothfus has named it Doors of Stone, and he will finish it, and it will be the last of the trilogy, and it will have been worth the wait.

:)

He recently put out another book, but not in the Kingkiller trilogy. 

:willy_nilly:

Authors should do what I want, not what they want.

He is planning a sequel somewhere down the road, but it ends at a good place so you're not left hanging. I would consider it a stand alone if you want it to be  ;)

(Also, The Emperor's Soul is set on the same planet, but a different part of the world with completely different characters. It is a fun read after Elantris.)

Thanks very much for that information, Melissa.  I'll be passing along the Emperor's Soul recommendation to a friend who very much enjoyed Elantris.

Regards,

Kareni

It isn't a trilogy, but I read through all 29 books (I think that is how many are in the series) of the Cat Who books... enjoyed them all until the last one.  I couldn't believe how the series ended.  I wouldn't recommend these books to anyone because the author blew it so bad on the last book.  All that wasted time ....

I can't believe no one has mentioned Brandon Sanderson! His Mistborn trilogy was excellent. I have high hopes for The Stormlight Archive - (two five-book arcs, the first two books have been completed.)

I agree that some trilogies can be helped by reading them all together, like Hunger Games. I think if you spend years anticipating the ending, it is hard for it not to be a let down. Of course, some are definitely a let down :p

Brandon Sanderson is weirdly punctual compared with other authors. I like recommending him because I know he won't leave people hanging for six years, unlike SOME authors I could mention.

I read the Wheel of Time books and it was Brandon Sanderson that Robert Jordan's wife chose to finish the series after his death. He did very well. The women were suddenly less annoying and the books went from a slow crawl across the map to zipping right along. He did a good job.

I was a bit disturbed that he was writing his own books while also writing Robert Jordan's WHILE keeping his deadlines. I am not sure he is human.

Yes. This. And it's like I can feel it when I'm reading the book... That feeling of "they are trying to entice me into reading another one with the promise that it will be just as good"... But it's never just as good. They are just writing the screenplay.

I think I just prefer stand-alone novels. It seems like when I find an author I like, I can read several of their stand-alone novels and be happy. Maybe I'm just not a trilogy kind of girl. :)

Try William Gibson. He does trilogies well, but he does everything he writes well I think. Also he doesn't waste words. Verbosity in authors drives me nuts.

Brandon Sanderson is weirdly punctual compared with other authors. I like recommending him because I know he won't leave people hanging for six years, unlike SOME authors I could mention.

I read the Wheel of Time books and it was Brandon Sanderson that Robert Jordan's wife chose to finish the series after his death. He did very well. The women were suddenly less annoying and the books went from a slow crawl across the map to zipping right along. He did a good job.

I was a bit disturbed that he was writing his own books while also writing Robert Jordan's WHILE keeping his deadlines. I am not sure he is human.

He's a machine. A machine that writes awesomeness.  :001_wub:

I was just coming on to recommend this as a series that holds up at least through the first 5 books or so.  I read these in high school and dropped out around book 6 or 7.  I am now re-reading them and am in book 4 right now and am still amazed at how good the story and the setting are.  Jordan really did create a masterpiece.  And THIS TIME I plan to just muscle through all 14 (???) books and finally know what happens!

One of my dc has read through book 7 in the last month or so.  There is a wait for book 8 at the library, so she has started re-reading the series with book 1.

:lol:

I think I will place an Amazon order and surprise her.

• 3 months later...