Menu

I think I'm done with reading Trilogies

A trilogy that I have enjoyed so far is the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night have both been good. The third book is due out this summer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=discovery+of+witches&sprefix=Disco%2Cstripbooks%2C286

I second (or third....fourth?) these books.  I've read and re-read them and will be re-reading Shadow of Night again here soon before the third one comes out.  It's already on my wishlist at Amazon. :D

Oh, and a side note, there was a schedule posted on Facebook last fall so that you could read Discovery of Witches in "real time."  The book is set from the beginning of September through Halloween, and the schedule listed the exact days for each chapter of the book.  It was really kind of neat to read through it like that.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just coming on to recommend this as a series that holds up at least through the first 5 books or so. I read these in high school and dropped out around book 6 or 7. I am now re-reading them and am in book 4 right now and am still amazed at how good the story and the setting are. Jordan really did create a masterpiece. And THIS TIME I plan to just muscle through all 14 (???) books and finally know what happens!

I thought the last book did a good job of summing things up. It was very satisfying, which I find a lot of series just can't deliver at the end. :)

I don't agree, and I think the author's "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" direction was not typical of this genre. It doesn't sound like you should read trilogies. ;)

I agree this was a twist. It really isn't that author's fault if a bunch of authors follow the same pattern.

DUNE is another good one. Sci Fi has a lot more series than other genres, yes?

But Dune is another one that really gets weird at some point. When I recommend them to people, I recommend that they stick with the first three books, reading the fourth one only if they need proof that they get really weird.

I have grave concerns about Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller trilogy. I LOVED the first two books, but I'm just not sure if he can pull a third one out, and his premise doesn't lend itself to extending the series.

I will admit to being worried about the third book in that series, and I agree that the first two were both really good. The only thing I don't like is that he does drag some things on a bit too long (like the fey).

I've pretty much given up on series all together, except for Timothy Zahn and J K Rowling. 

CS Lewis', George MacDonald, Tolkien, and Madeleine L'Engle all wrote great series but besides Zahn & Rowling I haven't found any series in the last 30 years that I really loved all the books.

If we're getting away from series, but I still stick to pre-1970's, I do like most of Agatha Christie's and Patricia Wentworth's even if they aren't very intellectual.

I've been thinking about trying DUNE and Game of Thrones, because I have so much spare time...NOT, but now I'm thinking I'd be better off sticking to the books my kids are going to be reading in high school so I can have reread all of them by the time they get there!

I can think of plenty of "classic" dystopian novels that ended with just the protagonist joining the rebellion/resistance. The reader doesn't actually see whether or not the fight for change was successful.

I agree. Sometimes the "after-novel" that is left unwritten is much more powerful for the reader than if the author spells it out for you in subsequent books.  One stunning example is Germinal by Emile Zola (a personal favourite).  When Etienne walks away, you know he's left behind the seed of rebellion and that where he goes next, he may plant another.  Using one's imagination to fill in the "what's next" is so much more intellectually satisfying, especially if the novel that sets all that up was very well-written. 

I didn't like Robert Jordan's books, only because the woman were awful. They were angry all the time. All the time! No matter what the male characters did, the women were angry. It made me wonder what kind of jerk the author was that he only saw women as angry. Was he constantly doing jerky things and that's why he only sees women as angry nags?

If he had written the women with other reactions other than anger and irritation to the male characters, I would have loved it. But I would cringe at every interaction between the sexes and had to stop reading because I was getting....angry!

I can think of plenty of "classic" dystopian novels that ended with just the protagonist joining the rebellion/resistance. The reader doesn't actually see whether or not the fight for change was successful.

I was not making a generalization. I was talking about a specific set of books.

If you take the idea that it's better for readers to use their imagination than read a book to its logical conclusion, you could just skip reading novels altogether and imagine your own.

Totally agree about Earthsea, but only if you treat is as a trilogy and don't go on to the other Earthsea books LeGuin picked back up writing 18 years later. 

The later ones are different (I figure this is okay since she was decades older), and I hated them the first time through because of that, but if you read the Tao Te Ching on which her philosophy/worldview is based, the last books close the circle.

I liked The Phoenix Guard books by Steven Brust.

They are fantasy novels based on Three Musketeers. They made me laugh hysterically in many points but it was more his imitations of  Dumas than silliness. He is extremely verbose and his dialogue contains a lot of word games. I enjoy his writing very much. He could write a phone book and I would probably read it.

He also has a longer fantasy series that has a more Noir-like setting. They are stand alone stories, not like the endless WoT but more like when there are several novels out about the same detective...but these are fantasy/Noir. That is the best I can explain it.

But Dune is another one that really gets weird at some point. When I recommend them to people, I recommend that they stick with the first three books, reading the fourth one only if they need proof that they get really weird.

The fourth book makes me laugh. :( 

I actually think people should stop with the first book!

I didn't like Robert Jordan's books, only because the woman were awful. They were angry all the time. All the time! No matter what the male characters did, the women were angry. It made me wonder what kind of jerk the author was that he only saw women as angry. Was he constantly doing jerky things and that's why he only sees women as angry nags?

If he had written the women with other reactions other than anger and irritation to the male characters, I would have loved it. But I would cringe at every interaction between the sexes and had to stop reading because I was getting....angry!

You have a point. This was the one thing I really didn't like about the books, but I overlooked it for the sake of the greater good. :)

Also, just thought of a couple 5-book series by David Eddings: the Belgariad and the Mallorean.

A trilogy that I have enjoyed so far is the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night have both been good. The third book is due out this summer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=discovery+of+witches&sprefix=Disco%2Cstripbooks%2C286

ETA: My nominee for worst train wreck series is the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel. The Clan of the Cave Bear was unique when it first came out and explored a number of interesting ideas. By the second book it was heading into soap opera and kinky sex and just went down from there. The final book, The Land of Painted Caves, wins the prize as the most excruciatingly boring book I have read in a long time. With barely any storyline left, it read as if she had just cut and pasted her research notes into the text. Truly awful.

Hee hee hee! DH has been listening to old books on cassette tape while trying to work through issues with our home server. I was amazed yesterday evening to hear the beginning of The Clan of the Cave Bear start up (complete with every word of her lengthy acknowledgements section) -- I never knew he had that! I read those back in college and had fun arguments with anthro classmates about the scientific validity of the stories, but even then we recognized the other quality of the books. There is a reason they are usually referred to as "Flintnapping and Forn***tion".

Some of the series that people are saying are worth sticking with weren't at all to me.  Wheel of Time spiraled out of control.  The various David Eddings series were greatly cheapened by how bad they got by the end.  I think that's the thing I hate the most...  when I really like a series but then the author just can't stop.  He doesn't have a new idea and just keeps going and no one stops him because the series will always make a modicum of money, but investing in better editing isn't going to actually improve the profit margin for the publisher so there's no market force to push for something better like in a series like Harry Potter, which is such a powerhouse that the editing gets a lot of good attention.

I liked the final Hunger Games book...  but I saw the themes differently than some of the things people are saying here.  I have read several YA dystopians since where I liked the first entry okay (though more where I didn't), but not a one that was worth its ink by the end.  Legend was another one for me that ended sour.  And Divergent.  I have been feeling better about some of the YA fantasy series that are coming out.  I thought Siege and Storm was as good as Shadow and Bone...  And I thought Kristen Cashore's loosely connected series stayed strong throughout, even if Graceling stayed the best entry.

And I thought Kristen Cashore's loosely connected series stayed strong throughout, even if Graceling stayed the best entry.

I'll second Kristen Cashore's series, and in a similar vein, I would add Rae Carson's Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy as another YA series that finished strong IMO. Plus, it's complete, so no waiting for that third book!

I liked Fire and Thorns too.  I want Seraphina to become a trilogy.  There have been some duds in YA fantasy for me as well (Throne of Glass was just unreadable from the beginning, for example), but I think fantasy is thriving in YA right now even though dystopians and horror are still getting a lot of the attention.

I am not a Neal Stephenson fan.  Too heavy handed in ways that didn't make sense to me.

I have looked at SM Stirling but not read him... her?  (Okay, I looked it up, him).  I keep getting burned by reading fantasy scifi genre fiction...  It's been ages since I enjoyed anyone really.  I think Octavia Butler was my last good discovery in genre fiction and that was many years ago now.  YA and MG fiction interests me in general so I still read genre in that context instead...  Worth the try?

Dh was reading this thread over my shoulder. He suggests Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I have read the first of the three, and enjoyed it a lot, but never got around to reading the other two.

Wait. What? I'm reading Cryptonomicon and when I went to read the description for the Baroque Cycle I discovered that the names for the characters of both books are the same. But Cryptonomicon is described as the first book in a series but not part of the Baroque Cycle. I am so confused. Did I start reading things out of order? Should I go back and read the Baroque Cycle? Ouch, my head hurts.

Ooh, I did like Seraphina. There was just the one book, right?

Me too.  After Fangirl (obsessed with Fangirl...  so obsessed I might need to write Simon Snow fanfic myself), best YA I read in the last year.  I think I read that there was a tentative date for a sequel and then the publisher pulled it off the list for the foreseeable future.  :(

I discovered Butler a few years ago, and she was awesome. 

Stirling is fab. Especially the ones I mentioned upthread, though I like a lot of his other stuff, too. He plays with alternate worlds/histories a lot, in a contemporary way that doesn't feel like he's just biding his time until someone makes a movie--he's writing for readers.

I liked the final Hunger Games book...  but I saw the themes differently than some of the things people are saying here.  I have read several YA dystopians since where I liked the first entry okay (though more where I didn't), but not a one that was worth its ink by the end.  Legend was another one for me that ended sour.  And Divergent.  I have been feeling better about some of the YA fantasy series that are coming out.  I thought Siege and Storm was as good as Shadow and Bone...  And I thought Kristen Cashore's loosely connected series stayed strong throughout, even if Graceling stayed the best entry.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I agree.  That's always irritated me.

I agree that the personalities of the female main characters were petty, manipulative, and bizarre in terms of romantic relationships.  All the romantic relationships in the books are just blah. 

BUT, Jordan does put women in power in his world to a greater extent than they are in any other books I've read.  In the villages, the women's circles and wisdoms are just as powerful as the mayor and men's group, there are several societies ruled by women with a woman-to-woman inhertience of thrones, the aes sedai and Tar Valon are all women, the sea people and the Seanchan are ruled by women...  His books are sort of bizarrely feminist. 

I enjoy most of the female-to-female conversations and interactions in the books, but the romances are all just so awful!!! 

Wait. What? I'm reading Cryptonomicon and when I went to read the description for the Baroque Cycle I discovered that the names for the characters of both books are the same. But Cryptonomicon is described as the first book in a series but not part of the Baroque Cycle. I am so confused. Did I start reading things out of order? Should I go back and read the Baroque Cycle? Ouch, my head hurts.

There are references to the Cryptonomicon in the Baroque Cycle, as if it is a "real" work, and I believe there are relatives of the Baroque Cycle characters in Cryptonomicon. 

Hmmm....This makes me want to go back and finish reading the Baroque Cycle. Maybe that will be my summer reading.

The later ones are different (I figure this is okay since she was decades older), and I hated them the first time through because of that, but if you read the Tao Te Ching on which her philosophy/worldview is based, the last books close the circle.

LeGuin was clearly in a different place when she wrote the later books. That alone didn't work well for me, but her writing style was so different than the earlier books that I'd wished she would have just taken her new ideas to a different set of characters if she wanted to continue in that world.

I've really been enjoying The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They are a mesh of fairy tale, dystopian, and sci-fi. Right now there are three books out, but I believe more are coming. So far I've not been disappointed with any of the books. They are holding their own very well.

I've really been enjoying The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They are a mesh of fairy tale, dystopian, and sci-fi. Right now there are three books out, but I believe more are coming. So far I've not been disappointed with any of the books. They are holding their own very well.

I have really enjoyed these!  AFAIK there's one more to come (Winter, in 2015).

LeGuin was clearly in a different place when she wrote the later books. That alone didn't work well for me, but her writing style was so different than the earlier books that I'd wished she would have just taken her new ideas to a different set of characters if she wanted to continue in that world.

Yes, the writing style bothered me the first time too, with the later books.  The broken becomes whole bit at the very end, though (with the destruction of the imposed afterlife, and the reinstatement of a natural cycle, reincarnation, etc.) was good; it's my favorite verse in the tao :) (The old saying/ Broken becomes whole/ Is not just empty words/ It becomes whole and returns)

The "Feed" trilogy by Mira Grant was good. I didn't expect to like it or to find it engaging across all three books. I was very pleasantly surprised.

A trilogy I hope to be good is the Dean Koontz "Christopher Snow" series. (There are only 2 of the 3 out so far.) The first two were so good I've read them more than once, which is something I rarely do with that type of book.

I agree that the personalities of the female main characters were petty, manipulative, and bizarre in terms of romantic relationships. All the romantic relationships in the books are just blah.

BUT, Jordan does put women in power in his world to a greater extent than they are in any other books I've read. In the villages, the women's circles and wisdoms are just as powerful as the mayor and men's group, there are several societies ruled by women with a woman-to-woman inhertience of thrones, the aes sedai and Tar Valon are all women, the sea people and the Seanchan are ruled by women... His books are sort of bizarrely feminist.

I enjoy most of the female-to-female conversations and interactions in the books, but the romances are all just so awful!!!

Bizarrely feminist is a great description! You're right about the power they hold, but the interactions with the men--bizarre!

Bizarrely feminist is a great description! You're right about the power they hold, but the interactions with the men--bizarre!

But then again, maybe Jordan is just a genius.  What would happen to male-female relationships if, for 3000 years, the only truly powerful people (magic wielders) were women, and all men who could use magic were killed?  How would that trickle down to the average non-magic people in the society?  Would even the most common woman get a cultural sense of feminine entitlement/intelligence/obligation-to-manipulate? 

Can you tell I'm enthusiastic about re-reading these after 15 years?  lol.  Rand, Mat, Moraine, Aviendha, and Egwene have just arrived in the Aiel Waste.  :-)  These books are just such page turners, even after 2000 pages...

The key I have found, is to wait and read them all at once! Eschewing all responsibilities and just pounding out three books in three days lol maybe not as extreme as me, but definitely back to back!

^^This! I just finished a series by Ilsa Bick (the Ashes trilogy) that I borrowed from the library. It's labeled as a YA horror series, but there's no way I'd let dd read it (she's read the HG, Divergent, and Legend series). It's a post-apocalyptic zombie-esque series, but it has an interested twist and even though it follows a plot formula (like so many) there's just enough of a twist that it kept me reading.

I had to laugh about the several comments on GoT. I read the first three or four, but got stuck because it was so convoluted with all the different characters and sub-plots that I just couldn't keep up. Now I just watch the series. Maybe once the series is over, I'll go back to the books. By then, hopefully the author will have finished the series.

I have to disagree. This is one series that spiraled badly out of control. The further in the series one reads, the more it's about kinky s@x. It became harder and harder to keep a handle on the storyline.

I remember reading Dune in high school, and trying to finish the series. I can't remember how far I got, but I never finished the last book I started. It just got too far out there...

I finally broke down and read Fifty Shades of Grey. It is total crap, but such good crap! Completely riveting mind candy. All three books were read in less than four days. It might resurrect your faith in trilogies.

This. I just finished reading them after avoiding them these past couple of years. I had heard such mixed reviews that I finally decided to find out for myself. Not great literature - total fantasy and escapism. I am not embarrassed to say I loved the books and will read them again......and possibly again.  ;)

This. I just finished reading them after avoiding them these past couple of years. I had heard such mixed reviews that I finally decided to find out for myself. Not great literature - total fantasy and escapism. I am not embarrassed to say I loved the books and will read them again......and possibly again.  ;)

:lol:  I just started reading them, too.

• 1 month later...

The "Feed" trilogy by Mira Grant was good. I didn't expect to like it or to find it engaging across all three books. I was very pleasantly surprised.

A trilogy I hope to be good is the Dean Koontz "Christopher Snow" series. (There are only 2 of the 3 out so far.) The first two were so good I've read them more than once, which is something I rarely do with that type of book.

I loved his Odd Thomas Series and wish he had more of them. Tho the third was weird.

His Frankenstein series was good too and more conclusive. And normally I don't like Kootz.

As for recommendations for the OP.

There's always Horatio Hornblower. ;)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I liked JD Robb's In Death series, but I swear her last few are ghost written. They just don't have the same depth and voice. Very.... Flat.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are almost always awesome.

Katherine Valentine has a great little series too.

The Island in the Sea of Time trilogy by S.M. Stirling, and the Novels of the Change (didn't stop with a trilogy), which begin with Dies the Fire.

No, you're not the only one who's read Stirling - I just didn't see the thread until now :)

I liked Dies The Fire, but found the rest of the series very hit or miss, with more miss than hit, but enough hit that I kept going up until the 6th book or so. I got 3/4 of the way through that one, but never actually finished it. 

That and Kage Baker made me reluctant to start series before they're finished. If it's finished, at least I know what I'm in for before I start.

I tried Island in the Sea of Time, but didn't even make it through the first book of that one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one using this thread to make a list of books to read.   :lol:

Or how about Game of Thrones?  UGH.  I started reading the first book and was sucked in.  I think it was supposed to be a trilogy, but by the time I started reading the series it turned out that there were four books in the series.  Imagine my disgust when I realized that the fourth book was not the last book!  No!  Turns out the author expected it to take seven books to finish the story!  Seven books!  

So, I waited for the fifth one to be written.  

And I waited.  

And waited.

For seven years!  It took him seven years to write the fifth book.  If it takes him seven more years to write the sixth book, and then seven more years to write the seventh book, I will have waited twenty-one years to know how the stinkin' story ends!  AAAAAAHH!

The only good thing about the books being made into a tv show is that the author is feeling pressure to finish the story.  

P.S.  I never read the fifth book.  By the time it came out, I was forgetting the plot.  There are about 500 characters in the story.  I forgot a good 486 of them in the seven years I was waiting for the book to come out.  My plan is to wait the 14 more years until the entire series is done and then read them all back to back.

P.P.S The books are WAY better than the tv show.  The characters seem so shallow to me on tv as compared to in the book.  Tyrion is much, much better in the books.  But the TV show has done an amazing job of providing setting.  The settings were always fuzzy in my imagination.  The settings are spectacular in the tv show.

I started reading Game of Thrones, found out how many books were still to come and just stopped.  I will not read any of them again until the whole series is done.  It's way to involved to remember what's going on for that many years.

LOVE these.  Two of the few books I've bought in hard cover the last few years.  I can't wait until the last one comes out.  I'm more than willing to spend the time re-reading the first two again to refresh.

:iagree:

I loved his Odd Thomas Series and wish he had more of them. Tho the third was weird.

His Frankenstein series was good too and more conclusive. And normally I don't like Kootz.

:iagree:   Except I do like Koontz.

Others that came to mind while reading through the thread: \

Sword of Truth series - was what the Legend of the Seeker tv show was based on.

In addition to the Darwath series by Barbara Hambly - her Sunwolf & Starhawk series

In addition to the Xanth series (how many books is that up to now?  30? 40?), Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality, or Apprentice Adept.

• 3 weeks later...

Just popping back in to this thread to let anyone interested know that the final volume in Deborah Harkness' "All Souls" trilogy was released yesterday.  I might have, maybe, squeezed in too much reading during the day and stayed up much too late last night, but I really enjoyed it.  It was a strong conclusion to a well-written series.  Went in a direction I hadn't exactly expected, but not in a jarring way (a la the last book of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone, for instance), the threads were all nicely rounded up without needing every one to be precisely tied off, and the characters had nice growth without feeling like we were shoving them towards the inevitable conclusion of their story.  

Highly recommended trilogy!