Menu

What strange things have you seen this week?

JumpyTheFrog

I went to water my hanging flowers today because I hadn't watered them in two or three days. I found a bird's nest with two very light blue eggs in it. I tried my best to water around the nest and made sure to not touch it.

Later, I walked by the bathroom and found my 8 year old standing on the edge of the tub, peeing into the toilet next to him. When he noticed me, he jumped down, slightly embarrassed, and ran to close the door. At least now I know how he gets so much pee on the floor...

LOL

Well today I saw this at the store:

http://www.amazon.com/Dachshund-Shaped-Hot-Dog-Cutter/dp/B0088OJB5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399934728&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+dog+hot+dog+cutter

Because..ya know...cutting hot dogs is quite difficult. 

I have been seeing one of those at the place I clean at and have been trying to figure out what it was.  I always knew I could find the answer to any question on this forum.

I saw a swarm of bees in the air. They were well up above the trees, and wouldn't land. That was a real pity, because I had a nice white hive box all ready for any homesteaders. Never seen them in the air before. Not in a swarm like that.

When my mom was a little girl she saw a snake jumping up and down in the road. She went home to tell her mother, who was perplexed because of course snakes don't jump. It turned out the snake had bitten off more than he could chew when he swallowed a large frog. The frog was still alive, stuck, and frantically trying to hop away. My grandma (who was just 20) whacked that snake with a garden hoe, accidentally freeing the frog in the process. Lucky frog.

Outside of the public library is a truck with either a deer stand or a tiny house (dog house?) built above the cab.

Next to it is a motorcycle with rubbermaid containers strapped on either side for carrying kids? Pets? Stuff?

If you really love us, you'll hang out in the parking lot until the owner or owners come back and you can get all the answers.

HoppyTheToad, that is funny!  I'm surprised my boys haven't figured out how to do that yet.

The strange thing I saw today was the toilet overflowing, because my youngest boy had used practically a whole roll of TP to get the job done!  :svengo:     I can honestly say I have never seen a toilet overflow in my entire life, so I was a bit bewildered.

Boys make life interesting, that's for sure.

Even funnier is the item recommended as Frequently Bought Together: the banana slicer. :lol:

Hey, that's going on my wish list.  :o   I dehydrate a LOT of bananas for some yummy snacks I make my family and slicing them one-by-one is very tedious.  That little gadget might actually be useful for a person like me.  ;)

I can cut hot dogs just fine without that weiner dog, though!

When my mom was a little girl she saw a snake jumping up and down in the road. She went home to tell her mother, who was perplexed because of course snakes don't jump. It turned out the snake had bitten off more than he could chew when he swallowed a large frog. The frog was still alive, stuck, and frantically trying to hop away. My grandma (who was just 20) whacked that snake with a garden hoe, accidentally freeing the frog in the process. Lucky frog.

This reminds me of a story my grandpa told from when he was little. When he went out to gather eggs one morning, he found a snake stuck between the walls of the henhouse. It had swallowed an egg in one part and then slithered partway through a knothole and swallowed an egg in another part. Neither egg would fit through the knothole, so the snake had trapped himself.

I drove past the Gingerbread House Daycare.

Gingerbread House... Daycare.

I could barely see the sign past all the giant red flags...

:lol:

Not this week, but the other week, ds showed me some food video that included eating an apple from the bottom up. (The core is a myth! :laugh: )

So, I've tried it a few times now & it's a perfect way to eat the whole apple. So much easier to eat that way, less messy, & no waste. I'm glad to be an old dog who has learned a new trick. (This is not the video that ds originally showed me, but this one addresses the apple issue.)

Not this week, but the other week, ds showed me some food video that included eating an apple from the bottom up. (The core is a myth! :laugh: )

So, I've tried it a few times now & it's a perfect way to eat the whole apple. So much easier to eat that way, less messy, & no waste. I'm glad to be an old dog who has learned a new trick. (This is not the video that ds originally showed me, but this one addresses the apple issue.)

We saw that a few months ago. DH tried it and he thought it was great. I can't bring myself to do it. I just can't.

I saw two large green parrots fly overhead and land in a tree in the green belt that runs down the middle of the major street in town. I know there are "wild" flocks of parrots all over southern CA, but that's the first I've seen them where I live.

Guy in a scanty robe walking around barefoot while I waited for ds to come out of class.  It took me a moment before it clicked...  oh, nude art model.  He had a very 70's mustache.  I don't know why that detail is key, but it is.

This reminds me of a story my grandpa told from when he was little. When he went out to gather eggs one morning, he found a snake stuck between the walls of the henhouse. It had swallowed an egg in one part and then slithered partway through a knothole and swallowed an egg in another part. Neither egg would fit through the knothole, so the snake had trapped himself.

Lol! Snakes aren't so bright :D

The past couple weeks there has been a man sunbathing when I drop DS off for his homeschool PE class. It is a huge park with big open fields, pretty remote, and apparently the perfect spot for this guy to bring out his lounge chair and speedo.

Wait! Is this true? C'est vrai? I am dumbfounded! I cannot WAIT to give this a go? It is immediately apparent to me that I am not eating apples in the most efficient manner!

Wait! Is this true? C'est vrai? I am dumbfounded! I cannot WAIT to give this a go? It is immediately apparent to me that I am not eating apples in the most efficient manner!

Yep. I love that I learned this. Perfect way to eat apples! In fact, I ate one that way just after I posted about it! LOL.

I saw a wild turkey cross the road today on my way home from college. I have seen wild turkeys on my property twice in the 11 years I've lived here, but this is the first on I've seen make a break for it across Route 97!

I also saw a honeybee furiously attempting to escape a spiderweb, with the spider on her way for the wrap-up. I helped him escape. Only because it was a honeybee and they need our help. Just after the freeing of the bee, I noticed another honeybee disappear behind the stone on my house front, leaving me to wonder if there is a hive between the wall of my house and the stone. Something I may need to investigate...

I watched a lone Canada goose chase away other geese (several pairs) from my yard by "assaulting" the females.  While I am glad that the geese population in my yard has lessen (pretty birds but they leave a mess), it is a little disturbing to see how he gets rid of the others.  He won't leave.  He sits in the yard - waiting and watching.  We named him Therapist Goose.  

When I came home from running errands Monday afternoon, someone had put two toilet bowls and their flush boxes at the curb in front of my house. When I left the house to take the cat to the vet on Tuesday, only one toilet bowl and one flush box remained. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow. 

What?!? No! Why would you eat the very-real-and-not-imaginary core? And the seeds? And those icky hard clear/white pieces that the seeds sort of sit inside?

This just won't do.

I'm telling you -- it works. You don't even notice those parts. :laugh:

I eat a lot of nuts & seeds anyway, so apple seeds are no big deal.

Go on. Try it.

I'm telling you -- it works. You don't even notice those parts. :laugh:

I eat a lot of nuts & seeds anyway, so apple seeds are no big deal.

Go on. Try it.

1343400256967-1252850216.jpeg

Nope.  No way, no how.  The first bite I get of something with a non-apple-y texture will make me swear off apples forever.

Maybe I can get one of my kids to do it.  Or my husband.  

One time when I was walking my dogs through the woods I saw a pile of shoes about 50 feet from the trail in the woods. There had to be about 50 pairs of shoes piled up in one big heap.

I often wonder HOW someone got them there (it is at least a mile from anything) and WHY!

Nope.  No way, no how.  The first bite I get of something with a non-apple-y texture will make me swear off apples forever.

Maybe I can get one of my kids to do it.  Or my husband.  

Sure, sure. Go ahead & throw your family under the bus.... ;) :lol: