Menu

Why is My Baby Laughing (to himself!) ?

mathmarm

Jr. laughs to himself sometimes and I have to admit that it worries me. Has anyone elses baby done this? Is this normal or should I have him evaluated? If this were an adult or something randomly smiling/laughing to himself would be considered strange right?

I'm not talking about laughing in responce to something happening, I mean he'll be sitting in his chair or laying on the bed and I'll be in the room or maybe in the next room over and...he'll start laughing. Not uncontrollably or anything, just giggling and if I speak to him or come to check on him he will giggle and laugh out loud...

What is up with that? Its seriously freaking me out and I've been on hold with the Drs. office for 20+ min now...

Seriously?  That's totally fine.  Babies find little things amusing like strings blowing in a breeze and notice different things than we might.  This is no big deal at all and definitely would not have warranted a ped call at our house.  You're probably raising a kid with a good sense of humor.  In 13 years you'll be eye rolling at puns and word play.  ;)  Enjoy the baby giggles!

• Like 2

Are we sure? He is only 8mos! I don't want to panic or become one of those moms, but geez, this kid...he's gonna give me grey hairs and he hasn't even learned to walk yet.

Did any of your babies do this? Are they okay now as children/teens?

Yes, totally.  Don't all babies do this? 

Oh, I honestly have no idea! I didn't know what to think and its not something I've noticed in my baby book. I could have over looked it, or it might be so darn common-knowledge that it wasn't worth putting in a book.

:blushing:

I'm going to go and take a :chillpill:  or 3...

I think it might be wise for you to join a play group or La Leche League group or a mommy and me class. You need some real life mom and baby pairs in your life. It would allow you to see some of the range of normal baby behavior and hopefully ease some of your anxiety.

I loved that age. Mine would go into laughing fits over the silliest things. One time I was spoon feeding my ds and he started laughing very hard every time I said mmm after he took a spoonful. It's one of my favorite memories of him.

Like another pp said they can find the strangest things interesting. Mine both were fascinated by the ceiling fan. They would stare at it forever sometimes.

I don't know if you are planning to teach your baby sign language, but I found it really fun to get a little insight into what they were thinking or what they liked. My oldest loved bath time so much he would ask for one numerous times a day as soon as he figured out the sign. I think he started signing a few signs around 10 months or so.

I think it might be wise for you to join a play group or La Leche League group or a mommy and me class. You need some real life mom and baby pairs in your life. It would allow you to see some of the range of normal baby behavior and hopefully ease some of your anxiety.

Excellent advice. Just don't go crazy comparing your baby to every other baby. He is himself, and everyone is different. 

Deep breaths. 

As I former advice-line nurse, if you don't want to be one of those moms, call your mother, your sister, your grandmother, or a friend with older kids before you call your doctor. What you really need most of the time is a seasoned mom, not a medical professional.

I loved that age. Mine would go into laughing fits over the silliest things. One time I was spoon feeding my ds and he started laughing very hard every time I said mmm after he took a spoonful. It's one of my favorite memories of him.

Its just that he's started laughing to himself more often that was starting to worry me, I'm kind of a worrier by nature, but I didn't know it until this kid was born...I swear, I wasn't always this big of a nut job concerned.

Like another pp said they can find the strangest things interesting. Mine both were fascinated by the ceiling fan. They would stare at it forever sometimes.

We have one of those in the baby room and it is Jrs. first love, sometimes even I feel a little jealous!

I don't know if you are planning to teach your baby sign language, but I found it really fun to get a little insight into what they were thinking or what they liked. My oldest loved bath time so much he would ask for one numerous times a day as soon as he figured out the sign. I think he started signing a few signs around 10 months or so.

Its funny you should mention ASL, Jrs is being raised bilingual in English and ASL as a lot of Hubbys family is Deaf and Hubby himself is a CODA and SODA. (child of Deaf adult/sibling of Deaf adult). Jr stays with his Deaf grandparents when I am at work so he's got a lot of exposure and several signs already.

Guess that makes me strange then...

Ha - me too.  I regularly think of something that makes me smile or laugh randomly.  I don't do it out in the world, but babies are lucky and haven't developed any social anxiety yet!  My babies also used to laugh at my boobs at feeding time.  ROFL.  :D

We were a part of a local mommy + me class but it wasn't a good fit. I didn't want to be a part of petty new-mama-drama every week over every facet of babycare--whether you feed from the breast or a bottle, cloth vs disposable, etc, etc, etc. There is a new class in the area that we are going to try, thanks for reminding me to sign up!

Excellent advice. Just don't go crazy comparing your baby to every other baby. He is himself, and everyone is different. 

Deep breaths.

As I former advice-line nurse, if you don't want to be one of those moms, call your mother, your sister, your grandmother, or a friend with older kids before you call your doctor. What you really need most of the time is a seasoned mom, not a medical professional.

One of my friends said Jr.s laughing probably pointed toward autism or a special seizure. She advised I take him to the emergency room but I brushed it off because that seemed crazy and she is something of a hypochondriac. My mom said he was fine and MIL thought he was just very happy. But the weeks passed and Jr. just laughed with greater frequency so I needed to check...(without rushing him to the ER). It doesn't help that Hubby is an eternal optimist who just thinks that everything is great and there is never a need to worry.

Ha! Most likely he's just happy and a bubbly baby enjoying life. But, it could also be that he is enjoying your distress. You know how some babies think its funny when some gets hurt? Maybe he thinks its funny to watch mommy work herself in a tizzy. lol. I doubt it.

Pal has always thought its funny to do crazy stuff like that. Though admittedly he started at ~26months, not at 8. Anyway, just a couple of years ago he and I had to have some "very serious conversations" about his habit of doing crazy stuff like screaming for help just to get a rise out of me. Especially when it was 3am in the morning. Or we were  Oh, whee, it is at times like that when I can't wait for this kid to have his own kids...I hope he fathers triplets the first time around and that each one is exactly.like.him. and that I'm alive to see it.

Your freind sounds seriously nutty. Does she have kids?

In my opinion, she is. She has four, all of them older than Jr...but ooh-whee. she is pretty well known in the department and in the community. She is a very sweet person but she has...unique traits, thats for sure. But you know what they say: Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean you are wrong.

We were a part of a local mommy + me class but it wasn't a good fit. I didn't want to be a part of petty new-mama-drama every week over every facet of babycare--whether you feed from the breast or a bottle, cloth vs disposable, etc, etc, etc. There is a new class in the area that we are going to try, thanks for reminding me to sign up!

I agree with everyone else...your dear son is giggling because babies giggle.

There is a type of epilepsy that involves laughing (gelastic seizures) but the odds are your son does not have that.

Agreeing with everyone else....normal behavior---both the laughing baby and worrying mom. :001_smile:

When mine were little, we had good luck with a local chapter of Mom's Club. (www.Momsclub.org) Weekly playdates, activities, etc. We made friends that we are still friends with 10 years later. Very little to no mommy drama in our group....I have no tolerance for mom drama. :001_smile: Maybe there's a local one in your area.....

Okay, I am a mom who's son had epilepsy as an infant.  Is your ds falling to sleep, or extremely tired after the giggling fits?  If not, then you can rest assured that this isn't a seizure.

I agree with everyone else, this is very normal, both for the baby to be giggling, and for you to be a worried mom.  He sounds like a normal, happy baby to me :001_smile:

Okay, I am a mom who's son had epilepsy as an infant.  Is your ds falling to sleep, or extremely tired after the giggling fits?  If not, then you can rest assured that this isn't a seizure.

About 95% of the time no, its usually when he's been sitting a while and enjoying the....4 walls, or whatever it is he enjoys enough to laugh. I honestly don't know what is so amusing. However sometimes he does laugh himself to sleep but that is usually after a warm bath and eating that he will laugh or giggle until he falls asleep, as far as I know...I think he's only fallen asleep laughing 1 or 2 times...I'll ask his grandparents who watch him during the day if they have ever noticed him laughing and getting tired.

I agree with everyone else, this is very normal, both for the baby to be giggling, and for you to be a worried mom.  He sounds like a normal, happy baby to me :001_smile:

Okay, I am a mom who's son had epilepsy as an infant. Is your ds falling to sleep, or extremely tired after the giggling fits? If not, then you can rest assured that this isn't a seizure.

I agree with everyone else, this is very normal, both for the baby to be giggling, and for you to be a worried mom. He sounds like a normal, happy baby to me :001_smile:

The odds are mathmarm's DS does not have epilepsy.

However, Not all seizures result in post-ictal sleep or sleepiness. Gelastic seizures don't necessarily either. Some times, kids have gelastic seizures IN their sleep.

I agree with unsinkable. As someone with a history of seizures in my teen years, none of them dealt with falling asleep after they were over. All of mine started while I was in bed asleep.

I honestly think your baby is a normal happy baby. BUT if you, as the mother, feel something is wrong in the pit of your stomach, ask your doctor. Sure you may be one of 'those' mothers, but in the end, it'll make you feel better. And that's most important.

I agree that seizures can be very different in all people, I was talking about what happened to my infant.  Infants USUALLY get very sleepy after a seizure.  That being said, I doubt this is what is going on here.  It all sounds perfectly normal.  But, I do agree with candicane that if something feels off, then ask your doc. 

In an act of uncharacteristic restraint...I'm not going to take Jr. in because he's laughing to himself. I admit that I was a weirded-out by it because I didn't know that it was a common thing in babies. :blush:  I just wanted to know that my little guy is normal, ya'know? But as far as I can tell he's happy and healthy, I think so I'm just going to enjoy it. Hubby promises that he'll be running around and stirring up mischief soon enough...

He sounds like a gorgeous, contended baby. Pat yourself on your back for creating that atmosphere for him.

I had the opposite worry with my first child....she didn't laugh or even crack a smile till she was 8 months...I thought there was something seriously wrong with her. People kept telling me she was going to be autistic and the child nurse even made me have her tested for it.... turns out it was just her personality...she was just a solemn little thing and still is to some degree.

My DS2 gave his first belly laugh at 3 weeks old....I was holding him and he was sound asleep so must have been a funny dream. I thought it must be a weird coincidence that a baby laughed so young.... but a week later he did it again and a week after that he started laughing out loud when he was awake. I was so amazed that he was so young and laughing..... but now my little giggle pot is a 4 yo with a crazy sense of humour and who started playing actual jokes on me at 1 year old....for eg. I would be eating and leave the room and when I came back some of my food would be missing because DS had hidden it and when I discovered it missing he would laugh and laugh and then show me where he hid it.

I guarantee your baby is perfectly normal.

Agreeing with everyone else....normal behavior---both the laughing baby and worrying mom. :001_smile:

When mine were little, we had good luck with a local chapter of Mom's Club. (www.Momsclub.org) Weekly playdates, activities, etc. We made friends that we are still friends with 10 years later. Very little to no mommy drama in our group....I have no tolerance for mom drama. :001_smile: Maybe there's a local one in your area.....

Actually that is the group we'll be trying next. I hope it is as lovely for us as it was for you!

Agreeing with everyone else....normal behavior---both the laughing baby and worrying mom. :001_smile:

When mine were little, we had good luck with a local chapter of Mom's Club. (www.Momsclub.org) Weekly playdates, activities, etc. We made friends that we are still friends with 10 years later. Very little to no mommy drama in our group....I have no tolerance for mom drama. :001_smile: Maybe there's a local one in your area.....

Moms club was a lifesaver for me.

We were a part of a local mommy + me class but it wasn't a good fit. I didn't want to be a part of petty new-mama-drama every week over every facet of babycare--whether you feed from the breast or a bottle, cloth vs disposable, etc, etc, etc.

Or whether you should be super concerned that your baby giggles a lot? ;)

That's the point of the classes.  Everyone brings in their freakouts, questions, and uncertainties, and you listen and offer advice.  Then, when it's your turn to freak out, you have a group of moms who will listen and offer advice.

Or whether you should be super concerned that your baby giggles a lot? ;)

That's the point of the classes.  Everyone brings in their freakouts, questions, and uncertainties, and you listen and offer advice.  Then, when it's your turn to freak out, you have a group of moms who will listen and offer advice. No, it was a good deal more negative than that. I shouldn't have to defend my right to breastfeed exclusively or any of the other things that I do with my baby. I breastfeed exclusively and I work outside of the home. It isn't easy but it is something I feel is important. Working and being a mom is hard, very hard but I make it work with the support of my family. Every time I went to Mom + Me it was like they were just waiting for me to inevitably crash and burn and were anticipating the wreckage. I am NOT teaching my son ASL as some sort of parenting-fad, but because he has several Deaf relatives with whom he should be able to communicate and I felt very judged for that too.

I don't want someone constantly tearing down my commitment to either my son or my job--both of which I love but one of which clearly outranks the other. One woman was an overbearing know-it-all and kind of a bully and she attacked me and made me very sad/teary on 3 separate occasions. I know that it doesn't take a lot to make some people cry (me especially) and that as new mothers we are all pretty hormonal, and I myself am a big wimp but I didn't want the stress and drama that I felt when it was time to go to that class.

If all those new mom groups are like that, then I'll be better off using the internet or just rushing Jr. to the doctor and being one of those moms.

I assumed it was pretty common with babies. My younger two were both like that. They would entertain themselves by the hour laughing at their fingers or toes or whatever it was they were looking at that didn't make sense to me. I guess when you are little and the whole world is new, little things that we don't notice anymore, can be really funny. My dd did it right up until she was in preschool. She would sit outside and look at nothingness and jabber and laugh.

All three of my kids are healthy. My oldest, the only one that wasn't that way, has CAPD, but otherwise, I have three kids in the gifted spectrum, who are healthy happy individuals. Well, as happy as any three siblings can be.

My boys both did this, it freaked me out. Not because I thought there was something wrong with them, but because I wondered if they could see something I couldn't. Kinda the same way I get freaked out in the house alone, I hear a noise and wonder who else is in the house.

It is normal. They thought about something funny or felt a breeze or something else we wouldn't even notice.

Just wanted to give you sympathy on the mommy group thing. If people haven't been to one of 'those' groups they don't understand how nasty it can actually be. I had the opposite problem, I am genuinely incapable of breastfeeding and go through a lot of pain just to give them breast for those first few precious weeks before having to go to bottle, but that was highly critisized because obviously I just wasn't dedicated enough and hasn't tried enough. I stay at home and that was a terrible waste to these other women who all either worked part time or planned to go back very soon. and I was teaching my child some different skills and values to the others which were always critisized because she should just be playing, all the time, with nothing formal our restrictive ever.

mummy groups tend to vary a lot from area to area