Menu

Please Share Experience w/Terranova CAT 6 test

NewIma

Hello! 

My dd is 7 and finishing 1st grade. I planned on using the CAT test with her to submit to the state of Virginia. When I when to order it this afternoon I found out it has been discontinued and replaced with the Terranova CAT 6 which is a more extensive test. Instead of just math, language arts, and reading like the old CAT it also includes history, social studies, and science. I am freaking out because for history and science I have not paid any attention to what kids are learning in public schools. We have been doing SOTW 1, reading the American Girl books, and checking out science books from the library about space, evolution, rainforests, and microscopic life. 

Has anyone used the Terranova CAT 6 and know if they are testing knowledge on specific topics? If we have any big holes (according to the public school system) I only have 3 weeks to remedy them! 

Ahh!!! Panic!!!

And as a rant, it is super duper frustrating that I now feel the pressure to conform even more the public school standards when I know that in reality I am covering more interesting topics in more depth.

Dd took the TerraNova for first grade last year. I can't remember what exactly was on it, but she did perfectly well. Much if it was common sense questions. Thus far, I've administered the TerraNova for first, second, fourth, and fifth and my kids have never had a problem with the science and history sections. If they did, I still wouldn't worry. Since we follow a different sequence than the PS, I'm not worried about content subjects. I haven't come across any topics we haven't covered, but if I did and felt it was important, I'd make a note of it for the next year.

My dd took the first grade Terra Nova test last year and she did just fine. It was her first experience with testing so she was a bit nervous but ended up having fun with it. I do not remember what was on the science and social studies sections but it was mostly basic stuff. I just received 2nd grade and looked over it. Even though it covers things we have not studied in history (because we are doing SOTW) I think she will do fine. I hope this helps.

My kids have done it - don't worry. There is so much variation between different public school classrooms in social studies and science that these content area subtests just test kind of basic concepts and common sense knowledge.

We just finished the TerraNova for 1st Grade. My kids laughed at the science and social studies sections. There was a question referencing a part of American History we haven't covered (we did SOTW 1) The 3 answer choices included something from France, another thing from Egypt and a 3rd thing from the US my kids didn't recognize. By elimination they got the answer right and I had a good chuckle.

I do have struggling readers, the reading portions of the test brought my boys to the verge of tears, it was just too much reading for them.

We are in VA also, I plan to black out the test scores for sections the state doesn't require. There is no need to even take the sections not required.