Menu

Need exercise video for teen girl

Alessandra

I want to get dd age 13 a strength training video. She is just beginning, so something gentle would be good. We have dumb bells and stretch bands, plus dd is getting a set of lightweight kettlebells (that come with a video), so equipment is not an issue. Dd is on two track teams and swims, so aerobic exercise is covered.

Can anyone recommend a fun strength training video, serious, but girly, if you kwim?

Good for her for wanting to do real strength training. I would suggest the You Are Your Own Gym series (book or DVD), body weight training is a great start for anyone. It is more challenging than light dumbbells but more effective too.

Beachbodymom on youtube is so cute. I haven't used her strength training videos but I think she has them.

I like fitnessblender, too, also free on youtube. I usually do the ones with cardio but they have a lot of options. It's not too exciting but it gets the job done.

For that age I would stick with yoga, dance, or barre method. Proper form is VITAL for weight training, and I would not trust that to a DVD and young child/teen.

I do strength training and am picky about form, and I do agree with you. It's good advice. I wanted something to be an inspiration for dd.

Dd has had a strength training class before and liked it. We also do yoga together, plus she does cross country, track, swimming, and horseback riding. I am a dance klutz, so avoiding that.

I looked online, at Amazon, public library, etc and could not find a gentle video for dd's age group.

So I ordered a book that looked good in preview -- Joan Pagano, Strength Training for Women. published by DK, so pix are nice. One thing that appealed to me was that the author had easy versions of exercises.

For that age I would stick with yoga, dance, or barre method.  Proper form is VITAL for weight training, and I would not trust that to a DVD and young child/teen.  

Oh, I disagree. First, I think yoga requires proper form just as much as weight training.   Second, football players (boys) in every town across America lift and it's not considered risky.  

There is some strength training I would not advise for a 13 year old: very heavy barbells and plyometric training. But that doesn't sound like what the OP is looking at, if she's talking about resistance bands and dumbbells.

Maybe Denise Austin, then?  She doesn't use heavy weights, and it's more free form.  Are you looking for pure weight training or circuit training type work?  

If you can guide her form, then I would say Jillian Michaels at a reduced pace.  Skimpy outfits are kind difficult to avoid with workout videos.  Working out is hot-literally-so a lot of clothes don't make sense.  Suzanne Bowen is more barre method, but she wears more yoga form clothes-tight but no bikinis.  Jillian Michaels you will get some bra top type styles on some of the people, but I have never thought of them as indecent. My very tomboyish 13 yo who is avidly anti-skin showing on herself has no issue with the Jillian Michaels DVDs and had fun with No More Trouble Zones-not as intense circuit training.

Oh, I disagree. First, I think yoga requires proper form just as much as weight training.   Second, football players (boys) in every town across America lift and it's not considered risky.  

There is some strength training I would not advise for a 13 year old: very heavy barbells and plyometric training. But that doesn't sound like what the OP is looking at, if she's talking about resistance bands and dumbbells.

It does, but the risk is less doing a downward dog improperly vs. a squat with weights that tears a ligament in your knee (ask me how I know ;)  ).  I have no idea why you'd say football players-boys AND girls fwiw-are not risky lifting weights. Ask the coaches-it's very risky and good coaches train them on proper form and flexibility.  My youngest brother had to retire out of high school football for injuries that could have been avoided by proper teaching. It's not just the weights, but form. You want a video with good teaching or a certified trainer that can show them proper form with or without weights.  Most kids will live through improper training, but if you're going to do it, do it right.  It sounds like her daughter has other sports she does, so she will need to do the exercises properly to avoid an injury that could effect her other hobbies and prevent permanent or long term damage.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2396614

http://www.brahmafootball.com/philosophy.html

http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/vipf2/football.htm

http://www.velocitysp.com/multimedia/docs/lehi/Hamill,_Relative_Safety-3.pdf

Oh, I will check out the other videos tomorrow. Dd has some special needs and low muscle tone. We are being VERY gentle. Please don't laugh -- I got her pink neoprene 1lb dumbbells. We have 2 & 3 lb, plus 5 lb to 25 lb metal ones for me. I am careful about warm up, stretching, form and so on. Dd is not going to be one of the heavy-weight lifting teens I just looked at on you tube, by any means.

We are aiming for wall push ups, sit ups, and weights or bands for some small muscle groups.

Oh, I will check out the other videos tomorrow. Dd has some special needs and low muscle tone. We are being VERY gentle. Please don't laugh -- I got her pink neoprene 1lb dumbbells. We have 2 & 3 lb, plus 5 lb to 25 lb metal ones for me. I am careful about warm up, stretching, form and so on. Dd is not going to be one of the heavy-weight lifting teens I just looked at on you tube, by any means.

Oh geez, I still use 3# weights.  No judgement from me!  :lol:   I was a soccer player and have more lower body than upper body strength.  That's great.  Having a parent who will help her out with it all will be immensely helpful.  My son has the same issues.  He's no longer in OT, and I've been trying to get him to do more strength work.  I might have to resort to bribery.  

ETA: Does she also have any hypermobility issues? My son does, and I really have to keep drilling him about not pushing too far just because he can-stretching your joints past where they "should go" is not the same as stretching your muscles. ;)

I have not used any videos for a few years... I like Wii Fit Plus now and it is fun!

As a former Certified Personal Trainer, I was trained as a teenager.  Proper form is essential to all future weight lifting and flexibility is essential to lower the risk of injury.

Is it possible to go to a local YMCA or Private Club to have some training on form and a workout plan to implement at home?

I know from my life that videos always filled a need for me when I was in College and it was raining or I was bored.  I liked the Sports Illustrated sets as a teenager, I don't know if they have new ones or not.  Buns of Steel series teaches excellent form as well. Beverly Exercise on Sky Angel helped me to learn some great back strengtheners that still come in handy too. She has videos for sale.    

I have been thinking about getting some more videos for our girls to do since we have to share a Wii and can rotate days.

For a couple of my daughters who do NOT like to exercise (maybe not your case), they found that Pilates was a great way to get into exercising.  We have several 10-minute/day Pilates videos that they use.  I could try and find the name of the series if you're interested.

Tracy Anderson has a DVD out just for teens. At 4 discs for 17.00 that is a good value.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracy-Anderson-Teen-Meta/dp/B00B5W80OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400007411&sr=8-1&keywords=tracy+anderson+teen

I should warn you that Tracy doesn't talk during the workout. At first this is WEIRD! You have to pay attention and maybe even watch them a few times before you try it. But, I have found that over time I appreciate this. You can get VERY sick of listening to the same banter time and time again. But is odd the first couple times you use it, no doubt.

And if you have Amazon Prime there are a bunch of streaming exercise workouts. There are a bunch by Jillian Anderson and a few others as well.

For a couple of my daughters who do NOT like to exercise (maybe not your case), they found that Pilates was a great way to get into exercising. We have several 10-minute/day Pilates videos that they use. I could try and find the name of the series if you're interested.

I have never done Pilates myself, so I think I'll save that for later. But it is a good idea.

Tracy Anderson has a DVD out just for teens. At 4 discs for 17.00 that is a good value.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracy-Anderson-Teen-Meta/dp/B00B5W80OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400007411&sr=8-1&keywords=tracy+anderson+teen

I should warn you that Tracy doesn't talk during the workout. At first this is WEIRD! You have to pay attention and maybe even watch them a few times before you try it. But, I have found that over time I appreciate this. You can get VERY sick of listening to the same banter time and time again. But is odd the first couple times you use it, no doubt.

And if you have Amazon Prime there are a bunch of streaming exercise workouts. There are a bunch by Jillian Anderson and a few others as well.

Great suggestion, just what I was looking for. I see Tracy Anderson is famous (thank you, wiki). It didn't pop up when I searched amazon in several ways. In my cart and will order as soon as I finish posting. Thx!

Oh, I will check out the Amazon prime too.

That looks like a great book. I've heard it recommended before, but had forgotten about it. Just ordered from my library system. Thx!

That looks like a great book. I've heard it recommended before, but had forgotten about it. Just ordered from my library system. Thx!

To be honest, I've never read it! But I used his program for adults, and really liked it. It's a very safe, low-risk way of doing weights, so it seems like it would be a great program for kids and teens. Glad you were able to find it through your library!