Menu

Toddlers, naps and sharing a room

Jennifer132

We have two two year olds. They recently moved to big girl beds (they share a room). They do fine at night for the most part. My younger two yo still really needs her nap, but my older two yo doesn't. That said, I need the quiet time! And my older will nap if she's tired, so she isn't totally grown out of it. So I lay them down at nap, and a few minutes later I can hear them messing around in there. If left, they will mess around the whole time and not nap (btw, there are no toys in there, they mess with the dresser cupboards and the curtains!).. If I put my younger down a bit earlier, she falls asleep, then I lay the older down, and she wakes the younger up to play!

Am I at the end of the napping road? I hope not! What do you think of doing a preschool style nap where I just lay blankets on the floor in the living room? That way I can supervise them. Maybe just do that for my older so my younger can still get her nap in. They already do a blanket time during homeschool where when I'm teaching my olders I have them play quietly on a blanket for a while, so I don't really have an option to do that instead of naps. Creative ideas welcome!

I had 2 two-years old at one point so you have my utter sympathy. One boy napped in the living room, the other in the bed room. Everyone was required to have 'quiet rest time' for 20 minutes at a time. I didn't care what they did so long as they were quiet and still. We had QRT 2-4x a day, depending on how tired daddy was.

I think all three suggestions are good.  Two year olds do find ways of playing without any toys.  I know my daughter did.  My sister put her in her high chair one time (she had just turned two) and she kept playing with her fingers instead of eating.  My sister just shook her head and said "I give up."

I have 2 yr old twins and one only naps 2 or 3 times a week, but the other naps every day. I put the napper down in their room and then I take the other one into my room. I lie with her and if she fals asleep, great, if not, I pull out something "special" for her to do so I can get some stuff done and she won't wake her brother up. (Coloring, playdough, puzzles, etc.)

I sympathize with the problem of playing with stuff in the room, drives me bonkers.  

We are moving soon, and DD's closet will be quite large.  I totally sincerely suggested we put the bed in the closet and keep all her stuff in the bedroom.  DH looked at me like I had two heads.  Maybe if instead of "closet", I called it the "little windowless side room" he would have gone for it.  (sigh)

I sympathize with the problem of playing with stuff in the room, drives me bonkers.  

We are moving soon, and DD's closet will be quite large.  I totally sincerely suggested we put the bed in the closet and keep all her stuff in the bedroom.  DH looked at me like I had two heads.  Maybe if instead of "closet", I called it the "little windowless side room" he would have gone for it.  (sigh)

My two boys share a room but there is a 4 year age gap.  For a year or so I did have the baby nap in our closet, it was plenty big and I could better keep my other two from bothering him.