Menu

Rec. an awesome stationary bike? I so need one. . .

Alicia64

I live in a state w/ super humid/hot weather in the summer and snow in the winter. Plus we don't have any sidewalks. With all the cars and people reading their phones. . . I can come up w/ 1,001 reasons not to exercise.

I keep telling DH that a treadmill would be ideal, but he balks at the price.

Over the weekend he said he'd be more comfortable w/ a bike.

Can you recommend yours?

Thanks!

Alley

I recommend Craigslist for any and every bit of exercise equipment. Balk not at the price, just buy smarter.

Thanks Wilma. Am I crazy for being so worried about buying somebody's junk? I mean, I LOVE CL for furniture and household things, but some of the workout equipment is going for $500 and I'm scared of just throwing money down the drain.

Alley

schwinn aerodyne.  he'll balk at the price.  we bought ours used.  then dh decided he wanted to do something else.

2dd (x-cntry runner) and I love my ancient nordic track skier (do NOT get one made by icon).  they're so old, they've dropped in price (I've even seen them for free), and you can still get parts for regular maintenance. (which is fairly simple.)

I got myself this bike. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007595TKU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I went from being able to ride for 5 minutes on the first day, to an hour in just a couple weeks.

You can see the great reviews on amazon and you can't beat the price. That includes shipping if you are a prime member!

Anyway, my only complaint is that the digital display rips through batteries.

If you already have a bike get a bike trainer. It folds up when not in use! They are about $80 on amazon. I got an awesome treadmill on CL(retailed for $3k) for $80 so the deals can be out there! I just had to watch for a while and for $80 I thought it would be worth the risk.

My dh prefers a bike, so we bought him a FitDesk.  I like everything about it except the seat.  Buy a new seat, get a new cover for the existing one, or make your own because the one it comes with will hurt your tushy!

Those really interest me, but can you use it like you'd use a "real" stationary bike? Can you ride it hard? Or is it made to pedal along while you work?

Thanks!

Alley

I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I576SM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and hooked up my husband's road bike to it (which I can ride comfortably and he doesn't use, although any kind of bike would work in a trainer).  Then he bought one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/846472/sigma-sport-bc-512-bike-computer

and hooked it up to the back wheel.  Best $25.00 ever!  I love watching the numbers creep up in a hurry (faster than on a treadmill!)

We rearranged the furniture in the basement so I could bike while watching Netflix or listening to Pandora on my phone.  I love it because I don't have to deal with crazy drivers or the weather (PNW) or bugs or humidity, etc. 

I've had it set up since February and it really helps to go tune out kids and go sweat a bit.  Plus the bike trainer is removable so you can still use the bike outside.  I like to think the bike is easier on my creaky knees than an elliptical/treadmill would be.  Fewer moving parts than other workout gear, too!