Menu

Math Curriculum Question for 1st/2nd grade

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few suggestions for a math curriculum I can use with Horizons Math 1 & 2 that concentrates on oral drilling. This is my sons weakest area. He will be starting 1st grade Horizons book 2 in first grade. He is doing well in it but thinks it is easy. He sped through Kindergarten Horizons Math in like 4 months. He would take it everywhere and do like 5-10 lessons at a time on his own free time.  My only concern is that he relies so heavily on the number lines when doing addition and subtraction problems. Is this a problem for his age? I tried quizzing him on some addition problems orally and he didn't know the answer to 6+4. But in his book he can add much larger numbers. Is there a remedy for this? Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Audrey

I think it is something that comes with time, but if you could try playing some games like "Go to the Dump" (basically go fish only you make pairs of 10) or something like that.  If you do Apps, my kids like the Splash Math ones.  I know there are free or less expensive ones out there too for that age group.

I remember DS1 seemed very abacus dependent when we were doing Right Start, but he did get away from it and is quite good on his facts. :)

They do stop using the number line into Horizons 1 and I found my DD picked up the facts very quickly then - except that I also taught Singapore's method of making 10 and used Horizons to solidify the facts and make them faster. Don't worry - there is plenty of practice with the facts in book 2 of Horizons 1.

It takes time. I tried to get my oldest to learn math facts in the beginning of 1st grade, she likes math, and I just gave up. I backed off and just let her work on them occasionally, with an iPad app, or maybe 10 fact problems. All of the sudden at the end of 1st grade she seems to know them, very well.