Menu

For those of you who use tutors...

How often do you usually meet with them?

May have found a tutor for Arabic and French for next year.  Hoping it works out. :)  I was hoping we could meet with her two times/week, maybe three max due to budgeting issues.  What's typical? 

Also, for what I'm looking at, I'm seeing prices around $50/hour.  Does that seem right?

I can't speak to the prices, but when I have language lessons, it's usually twice a week for 1-2 hours each time. Technically, my lessons are never with a private tutor, but in a class--though the largest class I've had consisted of 4 students, and for most of the time, either I or I and my husband were the only students. I think twice a week is good because it allows time for study and homework between classes; any more than that and I wouldn't be able to put in the outside of class effort that is required.

$50 per hour seems high, unless that is for multiple kids at the same time?? Maybe it is the area you are in? (I'm in so cal and tutors here run $20-$25/hr depending on grade/subject, maybe $30-35 for college class tutors (engineering, chem, bio, etc)).

Check craigslist in your area for going rates for tutors.

(I have a link for an arabic tutor via skype, but I haven't tried them yet and they do family discount, PM if you want it. I think it is about $40/month for 1 hour per week and about $70-80/month for 2 hours per week, then there is a discount if you have multiple students.)

Tutors run about $50 / hr here in Denmark. Labor rates are high here in comparison to other countries.

We have had the same Skype tutor for a year, and we like her. I am looking into adding a second weekly session with a local tutor. I am not sure if it makes good sense to use two different tutors, but I have plans to work differently with the second tutor if we add her. Kind of like using multiple math programs:)

I charge $40/hour, and I could see someone reasonably charging $50 for a specialized subject (which Arabic would be in my area), especially if your home is far out of the way or s/he will be providing consumable materials.

I wouldn't pay $50 if it's via Skype for any but the most extraordinary resource (like a retired astronaut answering an aspiring pilot/astronaut's questions about the physics of spaceflight).

With regard to frequency, for foreign language, three times a week is great if it works with everyone's schedule, but twice would probably be fine as well.

Thanks everybody.  We've looked into online tutoring via Skype which is cheaper on a per child/session basis, but they don't want to let me group kids.  So, for three kids all learning together, the $50 isn't bad. (It isn't great, but it's not that easy to find Arabic tutors.)  

My kids meet individually with their mandarin tutor for 1 hour each week, so he comes for 2 hours at a time. He charges $50/hour; but because there are 2 kids back to back, we have agreed on $75 for a 2 hour session.

He gives them lots of homework, in reading, writing, speaking (with eachother), and listening to CDs. The kids have made very progress in this manner.

Ruth in NZ