Menu

Rules/Behavior Expectations for academic/extra-curricular clubs

If you are part of a club or lead a club can you share your rules and expectations that you think work well and are equitable. We are looking at starting a club next year and want to have some expectations in place before starting to make this a good experience for all. Thanks in advance!

These were the rules at my elementary public school when I was a kid, and I think they're generally pretty good rules for life:

1. Be courteous and respectful to others.
  2. Keep hands, feet, and other objects to yourself.
  3. Come prepared.
  4. Follow directions.

There was a 5th rule, but I don't remember what it was.

No list of rules here, but my advice is: Have as few rules as possible, and enforce them consistently and evenly.

A pet peeve of my family's is dress codes. My girls do NOT have any desire to dress scandalously, so this isn;t because they can't wear their booty shorts and push-up corset-top to co-op. Burt they do get pretty mad when they wear their least-favorite and least-comfortable below-the-knee capris and sleeved shirts to co-op on a hot day and see other people walking around in mid-thigh shorts and sleeveless shirts.

Agreed strongly with less rules are better rules.

Some of this depends on the club and the relationship between the parents.  I run a Destination Imagination team with someone else...  all the parents involved have known each other pretty well, we meet at someone's house, it's pretty informal in terms of "rules" outside the team time because there's plenty of trust among the parents.

But I ran a two week summer camp type group to put on a Shakespeare production and many of those families I knew not so well and we met in a rented location.  I had to spell everything out ahead of time to help head off problems.  And I had all the kids sign a behavior contract when we started.  The behavior contract was really simple - just some words about respect and so forth.  But the expectations for the parents I was very detailed about.  Pick up and drop off times, what we would do if there was a conflict with a kid or an ongoing behavior issue, what we expected in terms of parent support, etc.  I was really specific.