Menu

Which Peter and the Wolf?

Sarah0000

There are so many choices. I've been reading reviews and people have preferences for different narrators, different orchestras, different CD producers for audio quality, plus there are sets that contain just the original tracks, or also a separate track that introduces the characters and instruments, or that comes with an illustrated book.

What do you recommend, and where's a good place to get it?

Whatever you do, don't watch the one we found streaming on Netflix the other day!  My kids love P&W, and so when I saw there was a little animated version, I thought it would be fun to watch for old-times sakes (they're teens now).  Wow, how disturbing!   It's set in some kind of post-apocalyptic or perhaps communist-era world?  Peter and his grandfather live in this hovel behind a huge wall through which Peter can just see the world outside through a crack in the cement.  There is something seriously wrong with the duck.  There is also a section in a city with some kind of street gang?  WTH?  No dialog, just the P&W music.  It won some kind of award (Oscar for short film)?  What were they on?

Whatever you do, don't watch the one we found streaming on Netflix the other day! My kids love P&W, and so when I saw there was a little animated version, I thought it would be fun to watch for old-times sakes (they're teens now). Wow, how disturbing! It's set in some kind of post-apocalyptic or perhaps communist-era world? Peter and his grandfather live in this hovel behind a huge wall through which Peter can just see the world outside through a crack in the cement. There is something seriously wrong with the duck. There is also a section in a city with some kind of street gang? WTH? No dialog, just the P&W music. It won some kind of award (Oscar for short film)? What were they on?

Pretty sure that is the one that I recommended, LOL. My teenager and I loved it.

Pretty sure that is the one that I recommended, LOL. My teenager and I loved it.

LOL - well, I can see a teen finding it cool in a "let's imagine P&W happened in dystopia" kinda way, 'cause heck, what teen doesn't like a good dystopia?  But I wouldn't recommend it for the typical P&W audience of early elementary.  Nightmares!!

Here's an image of sweet Peter from that movie:

257589-111006-peter-and-the-wolf.jpg

Our favorite picture books are Ian Beck's (good for littles/pre-K) and Miguelanxo Prado's (which has gorgeous illustrations, but pictures might be a little dark/scary for some littles who are extra sensitive?? My DS was "deliciously" scared of some of the illustrations at age 4... Loved the book but did like Daddy to be nearby when he was looking at it) :-)

We loooove David Bowie's reading of the narrative. I'm pretty sure we purchased both books and the audio CD via Amazon.

ETA: Bowie starts w/ a track introducing the characters/instruments; and the wolf is taken to the zoo, not killed. Beck likewise ends with the wolf going to the zoo. Prado ends with the wolf being shot by the hunters, and a little moral-to-the-story re: the bittersweet loss of such a powerful but beautiful animal. Bowie's audio doesn't perfectly match the words of either book, but this never bothered us since it was really a listening experience, not a reading exercise.

Another ETA (since my kids and I just got inspired by this thread to listen to it again): Beck/Bowie actually follow each other very closely; Prado's is quite a different interpretation. Beck has the added perk of including drawings of each instrument played on each page, which my kids have always loved.

So that said, now my DS6 is composing his own story, with the main characters (Benjamin and the alligator) represented by bongos and the electric guitar. :-)

My kids are SERIOUS into Peter and the Wolf. I pick up a copy anytime I find it (library sale, thrift store, etc.) I prefer the version by David Bowie the most. The versions by Sean Connery and Dom DeLuise get the most play from the kids. 

Ha, this is the movie version my kids enjoyed the most as well.  (though they surprisingly liked listening on CD the best).  I agree it was very dark.  But I think my kids had always imagined it so?  They were insulted by how "silly" the wolf was in the disney version.  

LOL - well, I can see a teen finding it cool in a "let's imagine P&W happened in dystopia" kinda way, 'cause heck, what teen doesn't like a good dystopia?  But I wouldn't recommend it for the typical P&W audience of early elementary.  Nightmares!!

Here's an image of sweet Peter from that movie:

257589-111006-peter-and-the-wolf.jpg

Is there one with the original ending, where the hunters kill the wolf? We have a cd narrated by John Gielgud and while his voice is great, they take the wolf to the zoo at the end. Totally wrecks the hunters' part.

All ears--I'd love this too, to go w/ our favorite non-zoo book version. DS6 loves the story, but the older he gets, the more baffled he is over the whole zoo thing.

(though they surprisingly liked listening on CD the best).

When they were little, we only listened to it, except for we may have watched a ballet version once?  No Disney, no books, no zoos.  The music really speaks for itself.

I think we listened to the David Bowie, or did Patrick Stewart do a version (or am I completely imagining that??)  Someone British, at any rate... Kids Classical Hour on public radio would broadcast a version regularly; whatever that was is probably the one that got listened to most often.

Thank you everyone for the details. My son would really like the book with the instruments on every page, but I don't really like the wolf going to the zoo change. Does anyone know of a book and audio CD combo that includes pictures of the instruments, an introduction to the instruments and characters on the audio, and keeps the original ending?