Menu

Paper clutter from the kids

cottonmama

I'm good at dealing with my paper clutter, but how do you get your kids to deal with theirs?  My kids want to save EVERY drawing.  We have a file folder for the small amount of art that will get saved long-term, but I don't know what to do with the huge amount of stuff that's special to them but that we just can't keep forever.  The little inbox system I have now gets terrorized frequently by my toddler.  I need a better solution!  

What do you do in your house?  Anyone have any toddler-proof ideas?

We buy spiral bound sketchpads for all their artwork now because I was tired of paper, paper everywhere. My nine year old has filled up six or seven of them already because she loves to draw.  It has really eliminated all the loose paper around here and every so often she'll go back over all her books and look through them.  I'm guessing that eventually we'll go through them and pull out all the ones that she really wants to keep and throw the rest away.  

My kids are teens and I'm glad I kept a bunch of their old drawings and stories. I have a box for each kid.

They have enjoyed having them and have done "then and now" with drawings and stories.

Now they mostly work in sketch books for drawings and the computer for writing.

I put their good drawings, or paintings in a special spot, and once every six months or so, go through and cull them. I decided whether they are worth keeping or not. Then if they are, I get my binder out and punch holes. If the picture is larger than the standard printing paper A 4 then I fold it and punch one side with holes. Then I bind them up with a clear plastic at the front, and heavy cardboard at the back.

Presto, they have a nice little book of their artwork to admire years to come.

I used to just buy those spiral pads, but found not all pages deserved to be kept etc...

I'm good at dealing with my paper clutter, but how do you get your kids to deal with theirs?  My kids want to save EVERY drawing.  We have a file folder for the small amount of art that will get saved long-term, but I don't know what to do with the huge amount of stuff that's special to them but that we just can't keep forever.  The little inbox system I have now gets terrorized frequently by my toddler.  I need a better solution!  

What do you do in your house?  Anyone have any toddler-proof ideas?

The solution is GRANDMOTHERS.  You say what a beautiful picture or pasting or artwork, it is so beautiful that I think grandma would really love it. Then you pass it on to grandma..... :hurray:. :lol:

We did a ton of process art when dd was little. That meant lots of fingerpaint papers, object printing, spatter painting...not representational art that "looks like something." It was easier to cull then!

I used to take a piece of posterboard, fold it and staple it to make a big pocket portfolio, and put things in there. I think there are still some ports in the attic from the boys' preschool days.

We sent some to gmas, but they didn't really appreciate the 18X20 works, strangely enough...LOL!

I guess we just saved a lot and I eventually went thru and saved those with particular meaning.