Menu

We always talk about cheap cell phone options....

Um_2_4

so I thought I would share this for those of you looking for Tracfones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141265046297

I just got one. It is not a smartphone, but is touchscreen and a bit easier to text (imo). You can use internet for maps/to find a phone number (which I missed on my dumb phone).

I also got 1 year +90 days service when I activated mine. And be sure to google for an active promo code and use it when you activate (I found one for an extra 40 minutes).

So no phone bill for a year for me (price has dropped a bit since I bought it too :glare: ). No way I can use up all those minutes in a year. And any time you do add gets tripled (so add 90 minutes you get 270 minutes).

HTH someone.

Great!  I bought one.  I've been wanting to get a phone for home/ for DD to have when I leave her at ballet for several hours.

The only problem is I've never had a prepaid phone and I'm not sure what to do when I get the phone to get started. :huh:

Once you get the phone go online to activate ( tracfone.com, they walk you through it, very easy). It will assign you a phone # and then you will add the minutes by entering the code on the back of the card that will be in the box. It will have a field that says "have a promo code?" Be sure to google "may 2014 tracfone promo codes" to find one as that will add some minutes to the card.

Once you get the phone go online to activate ( tracfone.com, they walk you through it, very easy). It will assign you a phone # and then you will add the minutes by entering the code on the back of the card that will be in the box. It will have a field that says "have a promo code?" Be sure to google "may 2014 tracfone promo codes" to find one as that will add some minutes to the card.

Thanks, that helped a lot.

This may be a dumb question, but I still have an old style flip phone, so I know nothing about these somewhat 'smartphones'.   What about texting?  Is there a charge/text or do you buy an additional texting plan?

I'm no expert, but on tracfone you buy minutes (or units) and each minute of phone calls is 1 unit and each text is 0.3 units. (i much prefer to text LOL)

And this is what their site says about mobile internet:

• How much does browsing and Mobile Web Services cost?

Each time you access the TracFone Wireless browser with your TracFone, 0.5 minutes will be deducted for every minute used. Access charges are deducted in full minute increments. Browser access of less than 60 seconds is rounded up to the next full minute.