Menu

What's wrong with my stomach now?

Jerico

Last year I was sick to my tummy alot. Thanks to the hive, I went gluten free (& dairy free) and I got better! My tummy aches, headaches, an even my neck pain went away.

Now when traveling out of town or eating at my parent's on the weekend, I feel sick every night. I am wondering if it is fattier foods (things like brats, burgers, etc.) ? But last night we had steak, a black rice/sweet potato dish, and a spinach salad (with a tiny bit of evoo/garlic homemade dressing), and then mixed berries for dessert. And a few hours later my tummy was hurting and I had to use the restroom.

?

If you are really sensitive to gluten you may be dealing with cross contamination. Especially in a restaurant where flour is usually free flowing and gloves are not always changed. Your parents may have used a spice or condiment that had gluten without realizing - it hides under so many names. Dh can rarely eat anywhere but home due to the cross contamination issue.

It could be something in the good, but I will add that my dad complains the he gets an upset stomach any time he travels. He does not think it has to do with the food specifically. He used to travel a lot for his work and it didn't seem to matter where he went or what he ate.

If they ever grill buns or bread directly on the grill, you'd get cross contamination on the steak. Or in the cookware, cutting boards, etc.

I have had horrible acid reflux problems since my youngest was born and had a gallbladder attack recently, but I think that's more due to having a third child and increasing age than being off gluten. It just happened to start about two years after going GF, but I think it's a coincidence.

Have not had my gallbladder checked. Should I call my doc?

Went over for mothers day. Had salmon & asparagus (on the grill) & salad. Felt fine! So I thinking it may be the red meat. At home we only eat chicken and turkey (and wild game if we have any).

So i need to either avoid red meat or eat more? :) honestly, i don't buy a lot because its expensive! We are going out of town a few times this summer and I'm so nervous to deal with all of my food issues :/

If this were me, it would have been the spices in the brats etc.  Anything in the ginger, mint, or laurel families gets me.  (And coffee)

I feel so much better after having figured that out.  Although it took me a number of years.  I kept thinking it was something else -- one of the things that everyone else suggests, like dairy or gluten or red meat.  For me, it's not those things, but continually thinking it had to be one of them slowed down the final discovery.  What made it all even more frustrating is that cutting out some of these more common items (gluten or whatever) often had the unintended effect of cutting out the things that were causing me trouble.  So I would THINK it was the gluten for awhile.  And then get so confused when I ate something with gluten in it and felt fine....

A cousin of mine had similar issues and just figured he was dying.  So he went out in the woods to live by himself for his final days.  And mysteriously got better.  Turned out it was eggs - the one thing he hadn't brought into the woods to eat.

Hope you figure it out soon!

Over the years, I have heard a lot of people say they react badly to red meat if they haven't eaten it for awhile.  Is there any chance this is a reaction to a different antibiotic than might be found in chicken? Or that you've been eating antibiotic-free chicken?

This is just me being more and more suspicious of antibiotics in our food supply lately.

I'd have to pay for everything out of pocket so I have not pursued allergy testing.

I may call my doc and see what she thinks. I haven't been in since november or december with these same issues.

My ped recently suggested my kids could have eosinophilic disorders because they have tummy problems that come and go. When they come, it can last for months. They have tested positive for allergies without having obvious allergy symptoms, which can come with eosinophilic disorders. To rule out something like this, you need to get scoped. And that's pricey too if you have to pay out of pocket.