Menu

History writing for 5th and 7th grades

Guest TrishaOK

Guest TrishaOK

I am starting WTM this next year.  I'm a little unclear about how much writing to assign.  From what I understand, they will read about a topic and then write a summary of what they read?  Can experienced WTM moms let me know what you do for this subject?  Also, does this writing for history count as their assignment for compositions?  Thanks. 

Based on your grade level, I can tell you what I did per WTM.  We outlined.  We summarized in 1st-4th grades.

Being that you are new, you may want to start out with summary/narration their first year.  You assign reading based on a spine.  I used the Kingfisher and Usborne history encyclopedias.  My student would write a summary/outline.  I did use SOTW for reading too.  As well, I used CHOW.  It really depends on how much you want to do for additional material, but I would only ask for a summary or outline from one source each day.  I did print coloring pages and use/used the Draw and Write Through History books.  The books assign/assigned certain little bits for writing, and the girls would illustrate based on the lesson in them.  I use/used Map Trek for geography to add in maps.  We keep a timeline.  I do get lots of hands-on books for crafts and projects too. For a time, I had Stonehenge in the front yard, pyramids in the back, etc.  We are one of "those" kinds of homeschoolers.  My neighbors enjoy it, and often the neighborhood kids join in.    

Add to this good selections in literature that match the time period or content area of your study.  We only took one book each semester and used a study guide.  The rest were just read for content and enjoyment.   :) Typically, our book count would be somewhere between 10 and 20 each year.

I graded their final notebook.  I did not test.  I made a list of requirements, and I took points off for late work.  I pulled examples for the portfolio, handed them matches, and printed a new cover for the next year.  LOL

Guest TrishaOK

Thanks you.  My kids are good at narrating. Not bad at writing, but they hate it.  We go to the library a lot and are looking forward to more arts and crafts family time this next year.  We are coming out of a virtual public school option, and while it was OK, we had no time to study things together.  I'm keeping all of mine on the same history/literature rotation to encourage more family study/conversation.  Thanks for your help.

History Scribe - My daughters really grew tired of outlining by the seventh grade.  I purchased the entire set.  They researched/narrated and added pictures (access to printer).  These sheets are inexpensive and can make a great history notebook.  For maps, we used Map Trek.  Being the 7th/8th grade, I wanted to make sure that we met common standards for history, and I added more primary resources and books from the Critical Thinking Co.  To expose them to more significant figures, I use the Highlights in History series.  I still ask for outlines though!

There are lots of ways to add mini-books and notebooking pages.  The biggest help to me was my history list.  I listed every vocabulary word, date, person, and subject matter.  I cross them off as they are "done".  I added any rabbit trails.  I have yet to use a full history textbook or curriculum.