Menu

s/o Call the Midwife spoiler

Word Nerd

Spoiler alert! Stop reading if you don't want to see any spoilers about the end of season three!

Sigh. Jessica Raine is leaving the show at the end of the third season. Apparently, Vanessa Redgrave (older Jenny Lee) will continue to narrate. I'm skeptical about how it will all work without the main character--whose memoirs are the basis of the show--but I do think the show has a strong cast and will carry on without Nurse Jenny. I'm disappointed, though.

Jenny Lee is so the center of the show.  I felt like it was interesting to see this season without her some, but I can't imagine the show without her entirely.  It seems a little ridiculous in a way - in part because the balance of the show is so off (Cynthia, Trixie, Chummy, and new girl aren't really a balanced group for some reason) and in part because of how the show is built around her memoirs.  I mean, I'm sure they can make it work in some way, but still...

I was kind of upset when I read that, but it *does* (or could) still work given the source for the show in the first place. Since the real Jenny left but stayed very close with Cynthia, I'd guess that that is how the show will go on with Vanessa Redgrave narrating.