Menu

IEP/504s and ADHD - Learning Issues/TAG

So, My son is accelerated in Math, behind in Writing... and has ADHD. He's in school now, so I'm trying to figure out how much I want to push for an IEP instead of just a 504 plan.... And how much help he needs. He's going into 6th grade, and his attention span is somewhat short, even with meds. His behavior needs help, too.

UGH!!!
I didn't realize how hard this would be...

Anyone have suggestions? Feel free to pm me...

Where I am, an IEP is for special ed services only, which your ds is not receiving currently.  You need to be specific about what sort of help you are requesting.  I would start by calling the special ed coordinator at the school (or at the district level if necessary); you might need to request a meeting in writing.  Has he had a neuropsych eval already?

For TAG, we have something different (ALP, advanced learning plan).  TAG concerns are not addressed in IEPs here.

I'm thinking of the IEP for his writing skills, 504 plan to cover behavior issues and classroom accommodations, and having him tested for TAG for his math skills. (And also, I hear that they test IQ and also look at their best skills and their lowest skills, and if there is a huge difference, that's something that can get them help (IEP help) on their lower skills...

I'm thinking of the IEP for his writing skills, 504 plan to cover behavior issues and classroom accommodations, and having him tested for TAG for his math skills. 

OT would be the typical service for writing skills under an IEP.  It is usually hard to get (the student's level has to be very low).

(And also, I hear that they test IQ and also look at their best skills and their lowest skills, and if there is a huge difference, that's something that can get them help (IEP help) on their lower skills...

FWIW, this is different in different states.  In our state, if the student is not performing below grade level, the only IEP service available is speech.

However, you won't know what's available until you try - give them a call.

Here, they do testing and if the child qualifies for an IEP (which generally means being 2 years behind), then the IEP, while mainly geared to the area that is behind and qualified for it, can encompass other areas also.  So it could be he'd qualify due to writing, but then have goals written in for his behavior, concentration/attention span goals, math goals that fit him, etc.

For behaviors, you want the school to create a POSITIVE Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP).  In order to have your child assessed, you can write to the school and tell them you suspect your child may have a learning disability due to his difficulties with writing.  Tell them you are requesting a comprehensive evaluation to determine whether he has a disability.  They should take it from there.  Once you write them, they have 60 calendar days to evaluate your child.

After the evaluation is complete, you will have an Eligibility meeting to discuss whether your child is eligible for an IEP.  At that time, if he is NOT eligible for an IEP, then you can ask for a 504 to support your child since he is struggling. 

That is what I would do if I thought my child had an LD in writing.  We spent five years in public school dealing with IEPs, special ed, etc. and I completed a year-long Special Education Advocacy training program.. I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out Fetaweb.org and Wrightslaw.com so you will know how to navigate the special education system. ;-)

I created an online "Book" to help parents with the basics of navigating special education. It's really just a write up of resources with links that can help you as you progress through trying to have the needs of your son properly met.  You can access it if you'd like: http://learningabledkids.com/learning_disability/special-education-resources-book-for-parents-of-children-with-specific-learning-disabilities

I think a lot will be how your school district handles things.  I've had two kids with an IEP and one with a 504.  My child with the 504 has ADHD & the school would not consider an IEP.  They said all of his needs could be accommodated with his 504.  My experience, and this may not be across the board, is my kids IEP plans were executed well!  My child with a 504, we had constant struggles.  The teachers just didn't follow his 504.  Everything from not seating him at the front of the class to taking away his recess for everything imaginable.  It had to be put in his 504 that they would find other ways to punish him yet they still continued to take away his recess.  My only advice is spend a lot of time researching different types of accommodations you think will benefit your dc.  Know what your dc needs and be willing to advocate strongly for what you feel needs to happen.