Menu

Moving back home for the summer (already college kids)

Elisabet1

I cannot believe the school year is at the end! This has been an odd year, with my first born off at college. Now, this upcoming week, I get to go pick him up and bring him home. Still brings tears to my eyes. And I am so excited! I am also sure there will be an adjustment period to the "new free" adult person he is coming home.

How is everyone else doing? 

This is the first time in four years that Ds22 has more thn two weeks off for the summer. He doesn't report to pilot school until August so we will have two months with him. Since we don't know when that will happen again, we plan on doing lots of family stuff with him at his request. DD20 will be here the same amount of time before she has to head back and Ds18 will be going off at the same time to start college.

Summer goes so quick. I am predicting August will be a tough month here!

We made it back home with middle son late last night and it feels REALLY good this Mother's Day morning having him home.  He's here for the summer - all but two weeks when he'll be in the Ivory Coast on a medical mission trip.

His birthday is Monday, so the timing couldn't be better.

Since his plans don't have him coming home for any length of time any other summer (and youngest starts college this fall), I plan to REALLY enjoy this summer with two of my birds back/still in the nest.

Anything that can wait until fall will wait.  ;)  Even the trip home in the car was fun as we got to catch up on many stories...

We will have a summer full of lots of comings and goings as usual!  Son and wife moving to Southern Cal but may be living with us for a month or two in-between; daughter from Latin American coming home during her month-long semester break to work (it's her only chance to work and earn money since she cannot yet legally work where she is);  another daughter only home from college for a week before heading back to her beloved National Park to work for the summer;  another daughter returning home from Sweden for the summer before heading to college in the fall;  another currently living just a couple hours away and home often, but moving to NYC in the fall.  They all love being together so are hoping for a lot of cross-over time in their comings and goings.  I imagine lots of evenings spent sitting on our porch talking and playing long games of Catan or cards while drinking iced coffee.  :)

We're two weeks in on ds' summer break from college and the transition hasn't been too bad. He did need a few reminders that he's not 'on his own' at the moment - took a day or two to remember that there are other people, other schedules, other needs for the car etc. but he settled back in pretty well. The biggest adjustment has been between him and dd. He's been in charge of his life, area and all at college and she has been top of the totem pole here at home for the first time. They are getting there. I've only had to threatened to tape them together once and lock them in a room together once  :lol:  I hear an occasional grumble from one or the other but for the most part they are back to living in harmony. 

Ds is actually back to school on Tues for a summer session class. His university is only about 45 minutes so he's commuting the summer rather than rack up a huge room and board bill (his scholarships won't cover anything of summer costs)

All in all - I'm thrilled with the growth we've seen in him. He had a great first year. Learned quite a bit about being in charge of his life. Made some slight mistakes but also made some really good choices. I really couldn't be happier with his first year. Of course, we're thrilled to have him home again if only for a short time. 

This is the first time in four years that Ds22 has more thn two weeks off for the summer. He doesn't report to pilot school until August so we will have two months with him. Since we don't know when that will happen again, we plan on doing lots of family stuff with him at his request. DD20 will be here the same amount of time before she has to head back and Ds18 will be going off at the same time to start college.

Summer goes so quick. I am predicting August will be a tough month here!

It does sound like a very difficult August! (((hugs)))

Enjoy your family time with all kids at home. I can't imagine how hard that is to get once multiple kids go to college or graduate college.

I actually don't even want to think about it. I only have one in college, but my younger kids are still in class for almost all of the 3 weeks that she is home. There is one day of no classes for the younger ones before the oldest heads off for her summer research project. We do have two weekends, but those are full of sports and end of year stuff.  She will be home 2 or 3 days after the project, but some of the younger kids will be at camp during that time.

Enjoy your family time with all kids at home. I can't imagine how hard that is to get once multiple kids go to college or graduate college.

I actually don't even want to think about it. I only have one in college, but my younger kids are still in class for almost all of the 3 weeks that she is home. There is one day of no classes for the younger ones before the oldest heads off for her summer research project. We do have two weekends, but those are full of sports and end of year stuff.  She will be home 2 or 3 days after the project, but some of the younger kids will be at camp during that time.

We've definitely had this happen, so I'll second your advice!  I hope you're able to enjoy your evenings and weekends together!

Mine have all been back for a couple of weeks now. I'm run ragged! It has been nonstop go go go since they got home. Ds17 was not quite finished for the year. Oh well. I learned. Girls home=school is out! So far no real adjustments other than the constant activity, which I really hope slows down but shows no end. I forgot how much the girls were on go, and want their mama to go with them. Ds tends to just go do stuff on his own. My feet hurt. I don't have a lot of adjusting to do otherwise. Our house rules are pretty nonexistant once they turn 18. No curfews or anything, just a general be respectful and try not to wake the rest of us up. Kind of like quiet hours of 9-9 around the house.

I had to give up my car and be dropped off at work today.  Apparently 2 cars and a truck aren't enough for 4 people without some logistics planned out.  (And seriously, once at work, I don't need a car until I head home.  They WILL see that I'm not stranded...)

I had to give up my car and be dropped off at work today.  Apparently 2 cars and a truck aren't enough for 4 people without some logistics planned out.  (And seriously, once at work, I don't need a car until I head home.  They WILL see that I'm not stranded...)

hehehe! We just bought another car yesterday.