Menu

Is Ecce Romani enough for high school credit?

We played a little bit with Minimus in 1st and 2nd grades.  Then I let Latin go in favor of Hebrew.  DS's Bar Mitzvah was last August, and now I am planning for 9th grade homeschool. 

I have decided DS should have 2 years of Latin for college-prep, Romance language background, and science.  He is fairly resistant, so just this week we are starting with LfC-A.  I also have the B level, and we will get as far as possible by the end of summer with LfC.  I don't have the CDs.  It will be just a easy warm up. 

Then in the fall, I want to do a high school level Latin that is really sufficient for hs credit.  I have looked at Henle and the religious focus is very uncomfortable for both of us.  He will continue his Hebrew language studies throughout high school as I am planning for us to move to Israel as soon as I am prepared in work and money areas. 

So my questions are:

Is 1 level of Ecce Romani worth one year of high school credit in Latin? 

Are there any other Latin programs without Christian focus that would work for high school credit?

That are affordable?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

My oldest child did Ecce Romani 1 & 2 way back when. It was recommended by the consultant we used for developing our homeschool program and she was granted one high school credit for each level. This consultant worked primarily with academically gifted students.

We combine Cambridge and Lively Latin. LL is definitely below grade level but it compensates for Cambridge's inadequate grammar support.

Cambridge is optimized for classroom use, with the teacher providing the grammar lessons. It did not work for us at all as a standalone. New tenses are sprung on the kid with zero warning.

It's the text we used in high school (many moons ago), so I hope so!  FWIW, I went through Ecce levels 1, 2, and 3, and then completed two years of AP Latin (back when there were two AP exams) with no extra supplements.  Of course, this was a b&m school with an awesome instructor, but still Ecce can be a great Latin foundation.

We use Jenney's Latin.  There are four years, though the last two years are reading and much less grammar work.  There is no religious component to any of it, and in fact, way back when, they were used in honors programs in public and private schools.

The text is based on translating Classic works, though many are summarized and reworded initially.

I appreciate all those who have responded to this thread.  Those who have mentioned other titles, I especially appreciate as I haven't researched those programs.

Is the complete Ecce a level reading book and activity books divided into a and b?  Are there answer keys or are the answers in the activity books?  Obviously, I don't have a Latin education or background.  Will a mom without a Latin background be able to teach Ecce?  Are any of the other Latin programs mentioned easier for a mom like me to teach?

Obviously, I don't have a Latin education or background. Will a mom without a Latin background be able to teach Ecce? Are any of the other Latin programs mentioned easier for a mom like me to teach?

The only Latin background I have is from Catholic boarding school decades ago. I got three years of Biblical Latin translating short passages and learning hymns. Had you asked me to do much with that knowledge, it would not have been pretty. So, in most ways, I was/am learning along with my son.

Jenney's does not require you to know Latin, just to have a strong English grammar foundation. There is no explanation of the English grammar; it is expected that you know it. That said, the first four chapters are intense and then your initial bases are covered for quite a bit. Vocabulary are added, small bits like adjective agreement, but nothing mind blowing. You can feel very confident in your reading, since the readings only require vocabulary given to you in the chapter. I find it very complete and thorough as well as fairly painless.

The other program we used for a bit was Visual Latin. It is much more biblically based (translations directly from Genesis). It is doable with just turning the student loose. No parent necessary.