Menu

Any "must try" items at Publix?

KarenNC

A Publix grocery store has just opened close to my daughter's dojo and I thought I'd stop in this week after I drop her off. This is a brand new chain for our area, but I've heard some folks very excited it's coming. So, any "must try" items specific to this chain?

There isn't any must buy items for me there.  Although they do have great buy one get one sales every week.  In my area if it isn't on sale at Publix it's going to be way more expensive there than at Kroger.  It's a nice store, but I wouldn't use it to do weekly shopping.  

I buy all my bakery goods at Publix. They are definitely better than Walmart or Kroger. I like their B1G1 sales, but I don't do my major grocery shopping there. They are too expensive. However, they are my favorite store to shop. They are always clean and the employees are always smiling, saying hello, and asking if they can help you. I find that a unique experience in a grocery store.

Never heard of it.  LOL

Seems to be a southern US chain, it's just now getting as far north as North Carolina, but they are very aggressively moving into our area. There are several stores in the works to open over the next year. We may get one in our town in the next couple of years as there is talk of adding 2 additional grocery stores anchoring small strip centers. What a town of 11,500 or so needs with *5* large chain grocers--already have Food Lion, Lowes Foods, Aldi within half a mile of each other--I don't know, especially when we are within 5 miles of several other grocery store chains that are in the city limits of other cities.

No Kroger in our area at this point. There used to be a few 20 years ago, but they all closed. Now Kroger has bought up Harris Teeter, which is one of our largest and higher end chains, so that should prove interesting.

Yay for you! Shopping is ALWAYS a pleasure at Publix! ;)

Check out the Iheartpublix site. She puts the coupons and the sales together for you. I have saved $$ by buying items on sale with a coupon or two! Publix is very coupon friendly. Depending on your store they will take competitor coupons, such as Target, Winn Dixie, Save A Lot, etc besides manufacture coupons. It's called stacking and it will save you huge amounts of money if you learn how to do it. (If you're in Florida there are some different rules than other parts of the south in regards to coupons, though.)

My favorite Publix item of ALL. TIME. FOREVER. is Publix brand chocolate trinity ice cream. Everyone that has tried it says it is the best ice cream they've ever had. Trust me, I know ice cream! ;)

It's our favorite chain store, but I don't think they have any specialty products. Just clean stores and better than usual service. If you like sub sandwiches, theirs are good. You can get them with Boar's Head meats. Way better than something like Subway. Their fried chicken is pretty good too. I've had it at family gatherings.

Oh, if something is BOGO, you don't have to buy two. One rings up at half price. They don't make you join some silly loyalty program to get the deals. No card or number to scan. There's a blog called Southern Savers that links up ads and coupons, if you're into coupons. The blog also lists unadvertised specials.

Kroger bought Harris Teeter? Oh no! Have they ruined it? There was one in Athens that was so nice. Pumpernickel bagels, yum. Their President's Choice chocolate chip cookies were great. They always gave out a coupon book with free items each week for the college kids.

Bakery and deli. If you like subs, theirs are wonderful. Their organic and health food is called Greenwise. if there's an item you can't usually find and you don't have any specialty stores in your area, Publix probably carries it. If they don't, ask them. They're pretty good about ordering things for customers, if it's something they're able to get.

As others have said, it's too expensive to do all your regular shopping there. BOGO's are great, especially when you pair them with coupons You can use a coupon for each item in a BOGO.

One of the biggest pluses for Publix is their level of customer service. It's rare to find that level of service anywhere else. 

When your oldest (going into 9th now?) is ready for a job, Publix is a great place to work. It's especially good for teens. They expect grades to be kept up and will actually cut their hours if they start going down. Every one I've ever known who worked at a Publix has been happy, even if they only intended it as a temporary job. My ds has been trying to get on with them, and with our regular Publix expanding (building a newer one) he just might succeed.

Atlanta area stores do not require that you buy 2 to get the second free-each is half-price for everything except cases of soft drinks. I drive past a Kroger to do my shopping at Publix: the Kroger smells, is always a mess and has lousy baked goods. Mostly, though, it stinks. And the card programs disgust me--all that data to save a few bucks on pasta? No, thank you. Also, Publix has the best grocery store birthday cakes, though of course they can't touch homemade. And their stores do not smell--did I mention that??

Congratulations!

Depends on where you are. In most of Florida the first item rings up full price and 2nd is free. So you do need to buy 2. And no doubling here in Florida. :(

Really? That's one thing we LOVE about Publix is that you get one at half price instead of having to buy two to save.

Check out the Iheartpublix site. She puts the coupons and the sales together for you. I have saved $$ by buying items on sale with a coupon or two! Publix is very coupon friendly. Depending on your store they will take competitor coupons, such as Target, Winn Dixie, Save A Lot, etc besides manufacture coupons. It's called stacking and it will save you huge amounts of money if you learn how to do it. (If you're in Florida there are some different rules than other parts of the south in regards to coupons, though.)

Yes, they're very coupon friendly. They did tighten up their rules a few years ago, but it's still better than other stores. I check iheartpublix every week. She usually has the upcoming sale as well, so you can plan ahead.

Atlanta area stores do not require that you buy 2 to get the second free-each is half-price for everything except cases of soft drinks. I drive past a Kroger to do my shopping at Publix: the Kroger smells, is always a mess and has lousy baked goods. Mostly, though, it stinks. And the card programs disgust me--all that data to save a few bucks on pasta? No, thank you. Also, Publix has the best grocery store birthday cakes, though of course they can't touch homemade. And their stores do not smell--did I mention that??

Congratulations!

Yes! We have a Publix and a Kroger equidistant to us. We do all of our grocery shopping at Publix because it's a much nicer experience.

I've not noticed Publix being much more expensive than other stores in my part of Florida. I do all of our shopping there and it doesn't come out that different than if I shop around (actually probably less when you consider the gas since Publix is just 1.5 miles down the road). We love their bread, muffins, chicken, and subs. They also often have gas card deals where if you spend $50 in groceries you can get a $50 gas card for $40. We pick up at least two of those whenever they have the special. Also, like others have said I just really enjoy shopping there because they're so friendly and the stores are so nice and clean. I know most of the employees in ours by name and they know ours as well. The turnover, even among the teens, is quite low here.

Yay for you! Shopping is ALWAYS a pleasure at Publix! ;)

Yes, it is always a pleasure. :)

Here in Florida we have true BOGO, so we do have to buy both items. However, we're allowed to stack manufacturer and store coupons. Each Publix store manager can decide who its compeitors are. Mine takes Target, Winn Dixie, and Save a Lot. With stacking on BOGO, I can use 2 manufacturer and 2 store coupons (1 each for each item)..

. Also, Publix has the best grocery store birthday cakes,

My wedding cake came from Publix. It's pretty common around here to have a Publix wedding cake. If you order a baby's first birthday cake there, you get a free mini cake (theoretically for the baby to "dig into" without messing up the big cake). When my niece had her twins' first birthday party, they gave her two mini cakes.

Should be interesting. Two of the other chains in the area use Boar's Head for their subs, and most places here let you buy one item at half price if there's a BOGO sale, so I expect Publix will soon follow suit, if not from the beginning.

I've not noticed Publix being much more expensive than other stores in my part of Florida. I do all of our shopping there and it doesn't come out that different than if I shop around (actually probably less when you consider the gas since Publix is just 1.5 miles down the road). We love their bread, muffins, chicken, and subs. They also often have gas card deals where if you spend $50 in groceries you can get a $50 gas card for $40. We pick up at least two of those whenever they have the special. Also, like others have said I just really enjoy shopping there because they're so friendly and the stores are so nice and clean. I know most of the employees in ours by name and they know ours as well. The turnover, even among the teens, is quite low here.

Are the gas cards for regular gas station chains or do they have their own pumps? We have one store in town with its own pumps. By chicken, do you mean rotisserie or fried chicken (ie deli-prepared) vs. raw?

Are the gas cards for regular gas station chains or do they have their own pumps? We have one store in town with its own pumps. By chicken, do you mean rotisserie or fried chicken (ie deli-prepared) vs. raw?

The gas cards here are for Shell or Race Track.

The chicken is the deli prepared rotisserie or fried chicken (popcorn, mixed, wings, strips). Here, they have a large deli section. Part of it is where you order your meats and cheeses, part of it is for ordering subs, and the other part is for ordering chicken and sides. You can also place orders online here for deli meats/cheeses and subs and have them ready to pick up when you want.

Publix is pretty much the only grocery store in my area of FL.  We moved here from VA about two years ago and could not believe how much more expensive food is here than in VA. 

Publix is great for BOGO (here too first one rings up full price second is free).  The bakery is amazing - breads, cakes, desserts - anything there.  They also have great fried chicken in the deli. The only Publix brand we use is their premium breaded chicken strips.  Love them for a quick dinner when we have outside commitments.  These are BOGO often.

Customer service is wonderful.  The people who work at our Publix (mostly retirees) are very friendly and helpful.  If there is ever more than 2 people waiting to checkout they always open another register.  I never had to wait more than a few minutes to check out.

Everything we have had from their bakery has been very good especially their breads.  The publix ice cream is really good.  We get the fresh fruit bowls quite frequenty, always excellent, best selection of fresh produce I have found.  We like many of their greenwise products.  If you use Keurig give the publix coffee k-cups a try.  

Their fried chicken is delish, and their bakery breads are also yummy.

But the best thing about Publix are the BOGOs and most especially the customer service.  That, and you always get a cart that works.  I have a pet peeve with stores that do not maintain their grocery carts.  Publix is not one of those stores. 

And now you can go online, order from the deli, and enter when you will be at the store so your order is waiting for you to grab and go.  Since Publix has a great deli and they take time with each customer, this is huge time saver.

I would just do the iheartpublix website and mix coupons. They often have good store coupons and sign up for the coupon mailer from their website.

I get a lot of their buy 1 get 1 specials and use coupons with them.

I like Publix, it is a nice grocery store and everyone is friendly. 

They carry a lot of specialty foods which I buy due to allergies that would require a trip to Whole Foods in some areas.

Birthday cakes.  Their deli is good too if you need a quick evening family meal to take home.  They also tend to carry Coleman hotdogs and sliced Applegate Farms deli meat.  Sweet Tea.

I do not ever buy my regular groceries there.  I prefer Kroger for everything except the above mentioned items.

edited: in my area the Kroger is just as nice as Publix and carries a far bigger selection especially much more organic/gf etc..

I buy all my bakery goods at Publix. They are definitely better than Walmart or Kroger. I like their B1G1 sales, but I don't do my major grocery shopping there. They are too expensive. However, they are my favorite store to shop. They are always clean and the employees are always smiling, saying hello, and asking if they can help you. I find that a unique experience in a grocery store.

This is my experience as well. Their baked goods are better than other stores and they have great BOGO deals. They also carry some different items than we can get at Kroger or walmart--like different flavors of Marie's dressing, nothing super special.

I actually like Kroger's Private Selection ice cream better than Publix's.

We prefer Publix subs over any other sub type store out there. They stuff them so full you can hardly get your mouth around it. BTW, we only get the Publix brand meat over the Boer's Head to save a few pennies. Yum!

Also you can order your subs online and give them a pick up time so you don't have to wait in line when you get there.

Hmm. This is an interesting thread. We've only lived in Florida since Sept and I can walk to our Publix. It's just a normal grocery store, to me. It's comparable to Harris Teeter and Harmon's in other states.

For me, it's hit and miss. The organic stuff I buy is actually usually cheaper at Whole Foods (including the Ezekiel bread). Amy's pizza is cheaper at Target.

I do like their wine selection. They do have great customer service. Their produce is fine. Their organic produce is usually old. The store is always very clean.

I will say that we live out towards "the country" and my friend lives in a very upscale beach community. Her Publix is WAY better and they always have fresh organic produce and wider selection. So, I think it depends on your community. I end up driving to Whole Foods and Costco for a lot of things still.

Love Publix!!!  We had one near our house when we lived in Miami and I miss it!!!  Their German Chocolate Cake is amazing!!  So is their spinach quiche.  Does the one near you have a brick oven pizza section???  Place your order when you walk into the store and pick it up when you are done shopping...yummmmm.  Their uncooked pizza dough is good.  They make the BEST birthday cakes.  My birthday is actually tomorrow (yeah!!) and we were just talking about Publix birthday cakes.  Mine always had strawberry filling. 

I do find Publix to be more expensive that other places, but my local choices are Publix, Aldi, and Wal-Mart.  We have Kroger but nothing particularly close to me.

I shop pretty exclusively at Publix, but I signed up for the electronic coupons, so that helps, and the BOGO deals area really good, too.

I love the deli and the bakery.   Top notch.  And all of their store brand items are very good, too,  except the bacon.  I cooked the end of a package of Oscar Meyer and the beginning of a package of Publix earlier this week, and the Oscar Meyer came out beautifully while the Publix bacon shriveled up to little bits of nothing.  Tasted fine,but there wasn't much left of it.

They carry your groceries to your car for you, too, and they cannot accept tips.  Nice people.  Super clean stores,  Great produce. But it's not cheap.

Publix...awesome store, pricey, but great sales, great deli/bakery, like so many have said. We don't have one in our town, but there is one that is about a 20 minute drive. I go when there is quite a bit on sale I would buy or stop if I'm near one. 

Has anyone mentioned Southern Savers site? You will find Publix on the Grocery Store tab. This site has the complete weekly ad with coupons online and newspapers matched to it. You can check the box of the items you want and print out a shopping list. Of course they have this for lots of stores. 

Subs. You have to get a sub. Like..HAVE TO get a sub. 

As for the rest, the big deal with Publix is their customer service. IT is STELLAR. Once, i was looking for red sprinkles for something or other. They didn't have any in the store. So when I mentioned it in frustration to the check out girl she called the bakery, and they had some back in the bakery for their own use. They brought me over a container of them for free!

Oh, and they often will unload my cart ontot the conveyor belt for me, if I'm carrying my toddler. On top of loading it back up and taking it to the car if I want them to. 

Finally, their generic store brand is EXCELLENT. As good or better than name brand. 

Their fried chicken is delish, and their bakery breads are also yummy.

But the best thing about Publix are the BOGOs and most especially the customer service.  That, and you always get a cart that works.  I have a pet peeve with stores that do not maintain their grocery carts.  Publix is not one of those stores. 

And now you can go online, order from the deli, and enter when you will be at the store so your order is waiting for you to grab and go.  Since Publix has a great deli and they take time with each customer, this is huge time saver.

YeS! It seems like a silly little thing, but when you shop as much as I do, it matters. I do know I spend a bit more at Publix than if I shopped around. But when I've got the 4 year old and the 18 month old, having a cart that always works, in a clean well stocked store, with employees that will help if I need it, and will often unload my car for me, with short lines.....it's worth the extra money. Oh, and they often give the kids free balloons when we check out. Hell, i'll pay more just for that freaking balloon...it keeps my toddler occupied while I pay. Even the music they play in the stores is nice. 

Oh, and the kids get a free cookie in the bakery section. When we pull in to the parking lot my 18 month old starts yelling "cookie!". And they give you a sample of the deli meat/cheese when they slice it. Seriously. Between that and the cookie my kids often don't need lunch when we get back home!

If you have an infant or a toddler, sign up for their Baby Club and Publix Preschool Pals.  For the baby club, they send you some really great coupons…even on stuff like fruit and veggies.  Publix Preschool Pals has a great software game to download, sends an apron, and other stuff.  Kids love it. (Free).  Publix will also usually give free cookies at the bakery as well as balloons at check-out.

Publix Subs are great.  Yum.  The Publix branded cold cuts are good too…but you can get Boar's Head as well.  They also have a bunch of deli items/salads.  I used to love buying their chicken tarragon almond salad. (Think that's what it's called.)  So is there chicken (rotisserie (I like mojo) and popcorn.)

Their fruit/veggies are usually quite good quality. It's corn season here now, and they always have excellent looking sweet corn and a nice big trash can if you want to shuck it yourself.   Knowing their customer service, if you bought some fruit that wasn't ripe, they'd refund your money.

Their breads are wonderful and their cakes are wonderful too.  Best place for a birthday cake, but usually more expensive.  Of their specialty cakes, I love the Latte Blast, White Raspberry Elegance, and Coconut one.  If we're going to a dinner party, we'll often bring one.

Publix branded stuff is usually quite good.  

They have the best price for a gallon of organic milk that I've found.  It's Publix brand….in an opaque bottle…and costs $5.99/gallon.

Publix brand ice cream is good. Usually Publix, Edy's, or Breyer's is on sale alternating. 

For Mother's Day, Publix usually goes into the local schools and lets the kids decorate a cake.  It's a fundraiser for the schools.  I think I paid $6 or $7 when DD did it.

THey're homeschooling friendly, though.  The weekend of Mother's Day kids can also come into the store and decorate a cake…or take one home with a little kit.  It was only $4.00  

Publix...awesome store, pricey, but great sales, great deli/bakery, like so many have said. We don't have one in our town, but there is one that is about a 20 minute drive. I go when there is quite a bit on sale I would buy or stop if I'm near one. 

Has anyone mentioned Southern Savers site? You will find Publix on the Grocery Store tab. This site has the complete weekly ad with coupons online and newspapers matched to it. You can check the box of the items you want and print out a shopping list. Of course they have this for lots of stores. 

For coupon site, I Heart Publix is a dedicated site with the weekly ad matched with coupons a few days before the sale starts. My Coupon Expert also has the ad up ahead of time and matched with coupons. The main difference between the two is the first goes in order of the ad while the second puts the best deals at the top of the list.

Another thing I like about Publix is they have the best coupon policy of any stores here. It varies a little regionally, but all are very coupon friendly.

I forgot about the fried chicken! We get chicken tenders for dinner each week. We buy a small 4 pack of Hawaiin rolls to go with them. When the store doesn't have those 4-packs, they break open a larger pack and just give us 4 for $1. The prepackaged 4-pack is $1.29. I tried explaining that the last time because I didn't want them to get in trouble, but the guy said it was no problem.

I also like how one person will help us in the deli section. I'll get one person who will slice my deli meat and cheese, then walk down to get my chicken tenders and any other sides I might want. That way I'm not waiting in more than one line. They're very together.