Menu

Writing for second grade that's not WWE.

I've been all through Cathy Duffy's reviews online and I still can't find anything I like for writing for second grade. I'm not looking for the narration/copywork/dictation approach. We do some of that elsewhere. We used Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait for first grade, which went over well. However, I would like something a little less public schoolish for second, if possible. Something high quality, but still a little bit fun. Suggestions?

You know, I just looked at this on their site and was so confused. It said buy this and this first, but the ages of those two items didn't correspond with Jot It Down. Off to look again a bit harder. Thanks!

I love Brave Writer. Jot It Down (from BW) is perfect for this age. It has ten little writing projects, one per month. It's low key and fun, but effective.

You know, I just looked at this on their site and was so confused. It said buy this and this first, but the ages of those two items didn't correspond with Jot It Down. Off to look again a bit harder. Thanks!

It can be kind of confusing, because there are lots of products from Brave Writer for each age group. If you're looking at the Wand or the Arrow, skip those. They are more about copy work and dictation, which you said you already have covered. For just writing, you'll want Jot It Down or, like Farrar said, Partnership Writing. It may also have told you to buy Writer's Jungle. Writer's Jungle is a great read. It's basically about the entire Brave Writer philosophy, the lifestyle (info on creating a language-rich environment), and how to help your child develop and polish a piece of writing. But WJ isn't necessarily a writing program (though you could certainly use the information in it to "do writing").

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand now. Basically, they really want you to buy their other products too, but you don't "have" to for Jot It Down.

Just curious...do you set your table for teatime poetry?

It can be kind of confusing, because there are lots of products from Brave Writer for each age group. If you're looking at the Wand or the Arrow, skip those. They are more about copy work and dictation, which you said you already have covered. For just writing, you'll want Jot It Down or, like Farrar said, Partnership Writing. It may also have told you to buy Writer's Jungle. Writer's Jungle is a great read. It's basically about the entire Brave Writer philosophy, the lifestyle (info on creating a language-rich environment), and how to help your child develop and polish a piece of writing. But WJ isn't necessarily a writing program (though you could certainly use the information in it to "do writing").

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand now. Basically, they really want you to buy their other products too, but you don't "have" to for Jot It Down.

BW has lots of options but if you are strapped financially or aren't sure if you're ready to buy it, you can find everything from TWJ on her website, FB page, blog, and email newsletters for free. And you can get most BW products for much, much cheaper at Homeschool Buyers Co-op, even half off.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of BW, but obviously it's a business and you don't really need to buy anywhere near as much as they're selling in order to following the "BW lifestyle."  I think TWJ is extremely useful, but realistically, she puts out a huge amount of her information for free.  And there's a nice summary now in JiD and PW.  I still think, if you really get into BW, that it's worth it to buy TWJ, but I think most everyone should try one of those (or for older kids, the forthcoming Faltering Ownership that should be out by the end of the summer) first.

We do set the table for poetry tea.  Sort of.  We have fancy napkins and little plates. :)

Is Jot It Down really only available as a digital download? I hate that :-(

Yes, it's frustrating to me to but I think it's because she does her own publishing. So Jot It Down is a pdf for you to print off and put in your own binder. Even when you buy the hard copy of the TWJ it's a binder with printed off pages, they are just done professionally and have nice tabs. I'd much rather a hard copy than a digital copy of curriculum but I like BW products enough to put up with it.

IEW has a second grade program called Bible Heroes which is a great intro to their way of doing things.  I wish they had another option with a different subject matter for those who would prefer secular use.  It has a lot of games and vocabulary as well as the outlining.

I didn't see Essentials in Writing listed so I thought I'd throw it out here!

My ds is finishing grade 2 this week. (We did the first part of WWE 2 at the beginning of the year then moved on to EIW2). He has done surprisingly well with this program and enjoyed Mr. Stephens a lot. He has a completed descriptive paragraph and a narrative paragraph. He is so proud of himself!

For 3rd grade, we will finish the last part of WWE2 then move on to EIW3 for the rest of the year. I may stagger the two programs instead of using back to back, though!