Menu

Should I use FLL1? Or FLL2 ? Or nothing?

I have a soon to be first grader that is reading at a 5th grade level, is almost done with WWE1 (but I am thinking about having her do it again with the longer sentences), she is also doing well with spelling (using WRTR), for fun she likes to write stories or letters.

Should I do FLL1 or FLL2 or skip it all together and wait until 2nd grade? I am really torn about what to do.

I don't want her to be bored with FLL1 but I don't think she is ready for FLL2.

I'd do FLL 1, skipping the very repetitive parts if necessary. I like the early FLLs because it's fun, low-key, and has fun memorization. :). When you finish FLL 1 quickly, move into FLL 2. My oldest two begin or will begin first grade nearly done or done with FLL 1.

I'd look for an older combined 1/2 version on the used market. After going through 1 at her own speed 2 will be a walk in the park. Just expect that you'll have to double up on some easier lessons and don't worry about when the book gets finished.

Frankly, I wouldn't use FLL with a student like that. I did compact the old combined FLL 1/2 into a single year with my oldest and it went fine. But now that I've discovered Michael Clay Thompson's LA series, I use that instead of FLL. The "island" level can totally be done with a bright 1st grader. http://www.rfwp.com/series/mct-levels-homeschool-packages#package-mct-level-1-basic-homeschool-package

I used FLL1 with an advanced young child.  While she liked the memorization and picture study aspects a lot, she felt it moved a little too slow.  She also HATED not being able to look at the book herself.  She wanted a book that she could look at to learn grammar.  I let her look at a few and, surprisingly enough, she selected Rod and Staff.   :huh: She is now partially through Rod and Staff Grammar 2 and, while I find it a little repetitive, she really likes having "her grammar book" and being able to flip around and read about the various parts of speech.  We don't write out all the exercises.  Maybe twice a week there will be a more interesting exercise and I will ask her to write that one, but we do most of it orally.  (One recent writing exercise she did was to write 3 sentences about a woman you admire, making sure to use the pronouns "she" and "her".)

My advanced reader oldest son went through FLL1 in 3 weeks in first grade. It was ridiculously easy for him. We started FLL2, but it was likewise too easy. I plan to not bother with first and second grade programs with my other two kids. When they're ready for 3rd grade level grammar, we'll do that. Each grade repeats everything from before anyway.

So would it be fine if I waited until 3rd grade and just did FLL3?

My 2 cents is "yes, it would be fine." You miss the picture discussions, which you can totally do on your own, and some of the poems, which you may want to swap out for some of your own choosing anyway.

If you think you want to go that way, buy the FLL3 teacher book sometime in the next year. You can start learning some of the definitions and lists at your leisure (nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc) and then buy the student pages and officially start whenever you are ready.

I started both FLL1 and FLL2 with my oldest and ended up finishing neither.  We read through Grammarland last year, and now at 9yo he's doing FLL3 and it's just right.  With my next I don't plan to start him until he's ready for FLL3, before that we'll read keep it low-key, just reading books about grammar (What is a Noun?, etc). 

If you decide to go with FLL2, check out the worksheets I made to go along with it! They have really worked out nicely for my ds this year. We have almost completed FLL2 so I should have all the sheets completed by the end of May if not before.

Just click on our blog below!

And to add, I started my middle dd in FLL3 for third grade and she did just fine.