Menu

Please help me place ds in MCT's Caesar's English

dwilterd

I'll start with a bit of background:

Ds12 (will be 13 soon) will be in 8th grade this fall. Language arts is far from his favorite subject. He reads very well and enjoys it immensely, but writing ANYTHING is quite a chore. I'm wanting to have a good final jr. high year and use it to shore up some weaknesses before we hit the rigors of high school. 

One thing I'm thinking of adding to his studies is some sort of word root/vocabulary study. Whatever I get needs to be either very engaging or very direct and to the point (or both would be even better!). I really like the looks of Caesar's English II, though I wonder if we should just move up to Word Within the Word instead. What would you recommend?

Also, we're going to be studying world history next year (a version of SL Core W) so I'm wondering if we might enjoy the Classical Ed. edition in color (color is good!) or if it's better to just keep it simple and go with the regular version. Is it easy enough to cut out the extraneous stuff of the Classical Edition if we want to pare it back to just the vocab stuff?

Thanks for any advice!

I have the old version so I can't comment on the new Classical version. But I have to say that the CE 1 and CE 2 books I have both are about the same challenge level. There are only 20 lessons in each so you could totally do both in one year if you wanted.

I have WWtW 1 and it isn't remotely as engaging as the CE books. I most likely will do it after my DD finishes up her current level of Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop (she's in book E) since I've given up on trying to get her to do a full Latin program. WWtW just looks so *DULL*.

We used CE I this year with daughter, who is almost 12, and we're using CE II next year, as well.  I haven't used Word Within A Word, so I can't comment on that, but I have nothing but fabulous things to say about CE!  I would call Royal Fireworks Press; we called last year for placement assistance and the woman who answered the phone was incredibly helpful in helping us decide placement.  Like your son, my daughter is an excellent reader, but despises writing. 

We used CE I this year with daughter, who is almost 12, and we're using CE II next year, as well.  I haven't used Word Within A Word, so I can't comment on that, but I have nothing but fabulous things to say about CE!  I would call Royal Fireworks Press; we called last year for placement assistance and the woman who answered the phone was incredibly helpful in helping us decide placement.  Like your son, my daughter is an excellent reader, but despises writing. 

Did you use the Classical Education Edition or the regular one? 

I used the Classical Education edition, not the colorized one (color wasn't an option when we ordered).  We'll order CE2 colorized this year because I just bet it's gorgeous!  I think if you are just looking for the basics and a solid vocab program, the regular edition would be fine.  The classical education edition had lots of extras that we very much enjoyed and enriched our experience, but the core of the program is in the regular edition.  I guess it depends on your budget.

Did you use the Classical Education Edition or the regular one?