Menu

Has anyone had surgery for a broken clavicle?

BlueTaelon

dd7 has a complete break on her right side and today we went in for the 10 day xray and check up and the bone is even further dislocated. They are sending us to ortho and it sounds like we may need surgery. What should we expect? I thought the bone was healing since her pain is way down but the Dr said she's just getting used to it is all:(

One of mine did that just about two years ago.  Thankfully it stayed and place and eventually healed.  It seemed like it took a long time, but the surgeon said he had a policy of not operating on a child with that injury unless it was out of place and/or wasn't healing.  She wore a brace for three months and was out of sports for six months.

One of mine did that just about two years ago. Thankfully it stayed and place and eventually healed. It seemed like it took a long time, but the surgeon said he had a policy of not operating on a child with that injury unless it was out of place and/or wasn't healing. She wore a brace for three months and was out of sports for six months.

This was my experience. A rather tight and restrictive brace since I was still growing. Now that I am 30 and have had recurring issues with that shoulder/side of my body, I think I would have rather had surgery and rolled the dice about having a plate.

This was my experience. A rather tight and restrictive brace since I was still growing. Now that I am 30 and have had recurring issues with that shoulder/side of my body, I think I would have rather had surgery and rolled the dice about having a plate.

Yes, I was worried about it because she had problems for awhile, particularly after a hard martial arts workout.  But she's been pain-free for the last six months and doesn't notice it all now.  She just tested into another belt, so there were extra practices and harder falls.  Hopefully that will continue.

My son had the surgery after he broke the same clavicle for the third time. He was 16. The surgery was painful. He was back to sports in about six weeks. Got medically disqualified from military academies and his ROTC scholarship because of it. He never triggers airport medical detectors. He is 23 now and still has residual discomfort and has discussed getting the plate removed with ortho. I would get a second opinion and get surgery as last resort. We had another child with broken clavicle too and was told the bone will heal as long as both parts are in the same child. I don't remember going for f/u xrays. Hope your little one feels better soon!