Menu

Like FLL but not scripted

Next year will almost definitely be my first year HS DD5 in 1st grade.  I've been working on curriculum choices.  I bought FLL1, and we will be using it, except that I know we will be finished well before the year is over - she already knows the vast majority of the information in it.  But I don't really want to buy FLL2 because of the script.

I like the meat of it - giving rules, narrations, memorizations, copywork.  However, I hate the scripted-ness.  I already know I won't be using the script.  Is there something that has the meat of FLL2, but without the script?  My daughter would look over my shoulder and tell me that I wasn't reading the script the right way.  In fact, I've already decided that I have to just pull out what I want/need from FLL1, but we won't have the book out when actually doing the work.

TIA!

I'm planning to use Queen's Language Lessons for my 1st graders next year in lieu of FLL and WWE. They don't get a lot of mention on here, since they're definitely CM style materials, but they might fit what you're looking for.  Narration, copywork, some intro grammar, some poetry, plus some things that FLL/WWE don't have like picture study. 

There are no student pages for FLL 2. Those are only for 3 and 4.

Growing with Grammar is a workbook course that starts at 2, but it won't have the extras FLL does.

If secular isn't a requirement, Rod and Staff 2 could be a good fit.

Oh, sorry! I didn't even think of that. We're using FLL3 right now.

Thanks for posting! I had forgotten about these. Does anyone know where to find TOCs for ...the Very Young? I downloaded a sample, but it's not included. I would love to see what topics are covered from grammar.

I'm planning to use Queen's Language Lessons for my 1st graders next year in lieu of FLL and WWE. They don't get a lot of mention on here, since they're definitely CM style materials, but they might fit what you're looking for.  Narration, copywork, some intro grammar, some poetry, plus some things that FLL/WWE don't have like picture study. 

If you like the content in FLL 2, you could just go over the lesson before teaching and use my worksheets for your child to do during/after lessons. I don't follow the script to the T but having the worksheets for my ds has helped him retain the information better.

You can find them on my blog....... If you have trouble with scribd, then there is a link to a Dropbox for the worksheets. On Dropbox, some lessons are out of order so be careful to not skip any. I'm still working on them, but should be completely finished within this month.

http://www.murrayshire.blogspot.com/p/first-language-lessons-2.html

Next year will almost definitely be my first year HS DD5 in 1st grade. I've been working on curriculum choices. I bought FLL1, and we will be using it, except that I know we will be finished well before the year is over - she already knows the vast majority of the information in it. But I don't really want to buy FLL2 because of the script.

I like the meat of it - giving rules, narrations, memorizations, copywork. However, I hate the scripted-ness. I already know I won't be using the script. Is there something that has the meat of FLL2, but without the script? My daughter would look over my shoulder and tell me that I wasn't reading the script the right way. In fact, I've already decided that I have to just pull out what I want/need from FLL1, but we won't have the book out when actually doing the work.

TIA!

Well, I wasn't originally going to respond, but since you bumped... :-)

I was in the same position as you quite a long time ago...when my oldest was in 1st grade. I felt so awkward and silly doing the script in FLL. I was sure I hated it and couldn't possibly get past it.

And now I am in FLL2 for the fifth time.

Honestly, I just got over it. I became more comfortable with the scripting...I don't even think twice about it now. (Of course, I've taught these lessons so many times now that I barely even need to look at the page :-) My kids have learned that Mom will sometimes go off script and they are to keep quiet about it.

I just wanted to encourage you that you may have the same experience. FLL is so solid I just wouldn't consider using anything else.

HTH,