Menu

Daily 6-trait Writing from EM

EmilyGF

Have you used this and found it useful?

I have a student who needs consistency that I can't provide currently. We're using CAP WR right now, and it goes really well - as long as we haven't taken a day off. I'm interested in the daily, pre-planned, chunks, to keep the ability flowing even if I need to take a day off. This is a rising 4th grader who just needs a lot of consistency in writing.

Emily

I tried it and was not impressed. However my kids thought it was great.

It's kind of like other public school styled curricula- it produces kids who can churn out papers following a formula but the assignments and examples are rather inane.

However, I also think that 6 trait writing is a long term investment. If you used it for only one year you probably would not see a huge improvement. But I feel pretty firmly that using it 2-3 years would pretty much reap a good dividend.

All tha said, fourth grade is about them liking writing more than the process IMO! And EM 6 Trait is very fun.

(My biggest issue with it was the insipid assignments that only referenced daily life or goofy fiction assignments- never referencing history, literature, poetry or anything inspiring or beautiful.)

We used it for first and will likely use it for second. But then, I am planning to switch to W&R for third. So, I'm not a help at all. I will agree that it is fun and easily doable, but it does reek of public schooling. We started it because DD was/is a reluctant (hand)writer. She's just about over that now and would consider something different for second if I could find anything else I liked and thought she would be receptive to.

I tried it and was not impressed. However my kids thought it was great.

It's kind of like other public school styled curricula- it produces kids who can churn out papers following a formula but the assignments and examples are rather inane.

However, I also think that 6 trait writing is a long term investment. If you used it for only one year you probably would not see a huge improvement. But I feel pretty firmly that using it 2-3 years would pretty much reap a good dividend.

All tha said, fourth grade is about them liking writing more than the process IMO! And EM 6 Trait is very fun.

(My biggest issue with it was the insipid assignments that only referenced daily life or goofy fiction assignments- never referencing history, literature, poetry or anything inspiring or beautiful.)

I completely agree with this assessment.

I agree with Calming Tea and Upward Journey, BUT DS7 is using it this summer (third grade) before we start Classical Writing in the fall. We just started (on Week 2), and it's okay. He enjoys it, and I think it might help us over a wall we had hit with WWE. Don't ask me to explain it exactly, but maybe the explanatory language and the goofy topics are a helpful break.  :lol:

I am using the grade 1 book alongside WWE1 with ds7 to try and help make up for the almost complete lack of writing instruction in year2 (g1). We do more than one week a week because he has no need to trace over sentences (honestly barring intellectually disabled kids, who does after the first few months of school). It is helping him because his problem is largely thinking what to write and how to start. I may do the 2nd and 3rd grade books too but it is not very complete.

Eta. I afterschool so short, bite sized stuff is more likely to get done.