Menu

Why are my rats fighting all of the sudden?

anamianoel

I have two female rats. One is one and a half year old and the other is ten months old. The youngest one just claimed dominance after the former alpha passed away. Last night I heard loud screeching from both and they were actually fighting and boxing. I broke up the fight and took out the instigator. Oddly enough the old one was starting the fights.

This morning I was getting ready for school and they started fighting again and were getting nasty. I took the old rat out and put her in another cage. She has everything she needs but unlike Noel, Amialia has never lived alone so I don't want to keep her in there.

Why are they fighting? How long will this last? Please only answer if you know about rats or animal behavior, thanks! :)

Guest submarines

Well, this *is* the strangest first post I've ever read. Are you even on the right forum? :cool:

Our rats fight, but they don't get injured--no marks on them. We just assume that they play-fight. But I'm not sure if I'm correct in my assessment and whether yours are doing the same thing.

Did yours have bite marks?

I do hope you do find the answer and will be able to help them out. :D

I'm not sure why they are.  Mine never did other than a little squabble here and there.  

In case it is over territory, you may want to clean their cage really well.  Wash everything in it.  Rearrange where things go.  If it is over something in the cage, maybe this will help.  You can also distract them.  Get a shallow bowl and put some water in it.  Pour in some frozen peas.  The frozen peas will float, and the rats love to bob for peas.  Hanging some hammocks (I made some with sleeves from old flannel shirts) will allow them to rest and have some distance from each other.

Deleting

Well, this *is* the strangest first post I've ever read. Are you even on the right forum? :cool:

Our rats fight, but they don't get injured--no marks on them. We just assume that they play-fight. But I'm not sure if I'm correct in my assessment and whether yours are doing the same thing.

Did yours have bite marks?

I do hope you do find the answer and will be able to help them out. :D

I am a teenager but I'm not stupid. I didn't know where else to post this so I put it here. I just need answers about my girls. No, I'm not homeschooled but what does that have to do with it? This isn't about me, it's about getting advice.

It is a strange first post.  OP joined yesterday.

Are you a teen?  Are you homeschooled?  It sounds like you aren't?  How did you find us and what is the purpose for joining this board in particular?  

Not trying to be rude, just don't quite understand the purpose of a teen who attends school joining this forum.

Dawn

Deleting 

I am a teenager but I'm not stupid. I didn't know where else to post this so I put it here. I just need answers about my girls. No, I'm not homeschooled but what does that have to do with it? This isn't about me, it's about getting advice.

Guest submarines

Have you tried the rat forums? There are many people here who have rats and might be able to help, but I know my daughter reads the rat forums for information.

I don't see anything wrong about posting here, even if these are homeschooling forums. You certainly found a place where a lot of good advice is given by a bunch of very knowledgeable homeschooling moms (and dads). :D

No, certainly not anything wrong with it.  It is just a bit surprising.  

Have you tried the rat forums? There are many people here who have rats and might be able to help, but I know my daughter reads the rat forums for information.

I don't see anything wrong about posting here, even if these are homeschooling forums. You certainly found a place where a lot of good advice is given by a bunch of very knowledgeable homeschooling moms (and dads). :D

Guest submarines

No one implied you were stupid.

Why did you come to a HOMESCHOOLING specific forum to ask about your rats?  That is my question.  Why us?  I would think a forum specifically dealing with rats would be of far more benefit.

So, what does you not being homeschooled and being a teen have to do with it?  You are on a homeschooling forum with mostly homeschooling parents.  I just was wondering why you came to such a forum to find out about rats.

Here is the blog if anyone is interested:  

http://anamianoel.wordpress.com/about/

Dawn

This place is an open forum, like an agora, really.

She probably googled and some of our posts came up (I remember many a discussion about rats) and she posted. Why would you admonish a child for reaching out?

If this forum is strictly for homeschoolers then it should be a closed group and each new member should provide an affidavit that they homeschool.

ETA: Why to bring up your research about this poster to this forum? How would you feel if someone did this to you? Those who want to google each new poster, they will. This is beyond unfriendly. Would you like other people to talk like this to your 15 year old, because (gasp!!!) she posted on a "wrong" forum?

People post about animals all the time here. It's not strange. Welcome.

I think they're figuring out who's to be the dominant one and it could be deadly. If it were me I'd separate them for a while to give them some space.

Guest submarines

No, certainly not anything wrong with it.  It is just a bit surprising.  

Your surprise comes off as rather overly defensive, if not aggressive. I'd hate if my child reached out in what she thought was a relatively safe place (a group of homeschooling mothers), and was questioned about her intentions. She asked about *rats*, nothing really controversial about this.

Guest submarines

My apologies.  I will bow out at this point.

Good luck with your rats.

Well, that's it. If a random new poster bugs you so much, why to post at all? Why corner a child?

I am deleting my posts and would ask that you delete your quotes of my posts.  

I have said I was sorry, there really isn't anything more I can say.

The post sent up red flags and I thought it may be one of those, "Is Johnny Galeki a Christian" type things to get in to the forums.  It looks like I may have been wrong and I am sorry.

Well, that's it. If a random new poster bugs you so much, why to post at all? Why corner a child?

Okay so it was a bit alarming to see my blog, anamianoel.wordpress.com on here... thank you to people who were nice to me. My rats are getting along fine now. Maybe one was just in heat. But, whatever. The reason I came here is because I saw that someone else had a post about rats. For some reason I can't get on ratforum.com otherwise I would've been there

Guest submarines

Okay so it was a bit alarming to see my blog, anamianoel.wordpress.com on here... thank you to people who were nice to me. My rats are getting along fine now. Maybe one was just in heat. But, whatever. The reason I came here is because I saw that someone else had a post about rats. For some reason I can't get on ratforum.com otherwise I would've been there

I'm glad your rats are doing better.

Ours had a mini tiff just this morning which was way more intense than ever (judging by the volume of squeaks) but they are fine now.

As an aside, if you want more anonymity on forums, avoid using the same usernames as your blog or other identifiable user names. But even then, some people will want to (and be able to) google you and find out your internet identity and posting history, if not your irl identity. :)