Menu

We Need a Super-Duper Printer

I think that one of our best investments for the next few years will be a robust, heavy duty printer. Because a lot of the curriculum that we like is in PDF form, we will need a really, really good

I want it to be able:

*print double sided

*print black/white and color with decent speed

*affordable ink/cartridges

*be able to print hundreds of pages

*act as scanner/fax/copier

*a warranty would be lovely.

I'm willing to invest upfront for something durable. What do you heavy-printing homeschooling families use?

We have a Epson wf3540. It is the best printer I have owned. http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Smartphone-Compatible-C11CC31201/dp/B0091DPYDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399643881&sr=8-1&keywords=Epson+wf3540

It's a consumer reports best buy as well. The ink prices are the same as printers we've had in the past around $40-$50. I bought the ink at costco and end up getting a deal. Although we've had it since October and I just replaced the ink in April. 

We have a Epson wf3540. It is the best printer I have owned. http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Smartphone-Compatible-C11CC31201/dp/B0091DPYDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399643881&sr=8-1&keywords=Epson+wf3540

It's a consumer reports best buy as well. The ink prices are the same as printers we've had in the past around $40-$50. I bought the ink at costco and end up getting a deal. Although we've had it since October and I just replaced the ink in April. 

Looks really good, about how much would you say you printed in that time? I'm not going to be able to print freely anymore after the summer, but we print ALOT...Probably a couple hundred pages each week month.

ah, the mythical unicorn of printers. I'm curious as to what people recommend. I ended up going the two printer route as 85% of my printing is black and white. with the brother 2270dw, I can buy a toner cartridge good for 2000 or so copies for $15. I haven't found anything that does color and b&w that comes anywhere near as efficient. My brother printer duplexes like a dream!

We have two old machines. One is an HP all-in-one inkjet 750 PSC. Cartridges are fairly expensive, so I only use it when I really need color, but it's held up very, very well. I have found that I need to, now, buy the genuine HP cartridges. I don't know of the contacts on my machine are worn, or if the contacts on the refilled cartridges are worn, but they simply don't usually connect.  also have an ancient HP 2300n, that the price was definitely right on. It was free (to us) because DH's company was discarding it. A single toner cartridge is under $20 on amazon, and prints thousands of pages. Neither is innately wireless, but both use my PC as a print server, so as long as the wireless devices can communicate with my PC, they can communicate with my printer.

I have the Epson 3540 and buy generic ink. I love the printer, which happens to be on sale at Costco this week for $120. It does everything on your list and scans double-sided, but I don't know how many pages can be printed before replacing ink cartridges. I got it for what it does and for air printing from my iPad.

http://www.costco.com/Brother-MFC-9460CDN-Color-All-in-One-Laser-Printer.product.11711742.html

We have this one and we've been very happy with it.  I set it to default B&W and toner save mode (which means things come out in a dark gray rather than a true black) which is fine for 98% of my printing jobs.  When I want color, I manually change it so we don't accidentally run the color cartridges down.  I do love having the color option.