Menu

How do you keep to see little black bug from biting you?

arnold

I live In Michigan and every year at this time, we have little black gnats that are terribly annoying. They bit the kids when they play outside and while the bit doesn't hurt, it usually bleeds and then itches afterwards. They usually bit around their hairline, behind the ears, and even on the head. I have no idea what kind of bug they are but bug spray doesn't seem to keep then away, or at least the kind I've been using. Any tips are appreciated.

It sounds like black flies. I find they heal faster if wiped with alcohol wipes when first noticed. Change your bug stuff? I like the idea of warm summer nights and playing outside but sometimes the bugs just aren't worth it. When I was a kid the whole are was sprayed. lol gotta love the ddt days.

Black flies. I hate them.  They cause the bears and moose to flee the woods by my parents and run into town to try to escape their bites. I would have thought their fur would be too thick for them to be bothered by a teeny black biting fly, but I guess not. :huh:

Short of staying covered (my mother wears a mosquito hat with attached net to keep her face & neck covered because they just LOVE her!) or spraying yourself with bug spray, I am of no help.

Have you tried a repellent with picaridin in it? It's newer on the market (in the US, I believe) but is supposed to be as or more effective and less worrisome than DEET.

We are using Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20% picaridin, but I believe Avon Skin-So-Soft also has a variety that contains it.