Menu

S/O What do you wish you knew about life (in general) when you were 50?

The title says pretty much all, other than the fact that I already know I'd get more responses on AARP or Power Surge or empty nesters or any forum specifically directed to us but I don't care because I want YOUR response.

DH thought about it but couldn't come up with an answer. He's only 57. At least, we're interpreting this question to be asking what do you wish you knew when you turned 50 to make that decade better. Are we misunderstanding the question?

I'll be 56 in August. Hmmm. I've finally learned not to take my siblings' craziness personally. Even if it's directed at me, it isn't about me.

I've also learned not to engage when DS (or my spouse, for that matter) whines.

I'm learning more about my limits and that the world won't fall apart if I take a break from world news. 

I don't take for granted the health of my spouse (who is 66).

It really is ok to take life more slowly.

When in life, all the troubles seem to come one on top of the other, I am more apt to remember that it is a season of life and it too shall pass.

Trite as it sounds, I can't do anything about the past, the future hasn't arrived yet, so I remember more often to enjoy the present.

There is always more to learn.

I feel more free to not put up with stuff that others wish to impose upon me. I keep thinking, "I'm 50yo, I don't have to take this crap."

I also learned that while I am not all that I was physically when I was 20, I can still kick butt. I joined a serious martial arts class and spar with LEO's, I became a shotgun instructor, and I learned to throw an atlatl.

IMO, after 50 is when life gets fun.