Menu

Pondering choices for elem math - Horizons, Singapore...

I have pondered back & forth on this thought and I just cannot make up my mind for sure. Here is my dilemma. My son used Singapore all the way through 6th grade & is now in 7th using Saxon 87. My daughter did MFW K & MFW 1st with the math as included, then I had her do Singapore 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, which she did great & completed in a year. She loves math & does fine. She had seen Horizon's & really wanted to use it though. This year though, for my dd's 3rd grade year, I gave in & bought Horizon's 3rd. She loved it - she did fine & rarely even misses any problems - despite the fact that Horizon's seems fairly advanced. So - I really have no major concerns with either Horizon's or Singapore as far as both seem to be thorough and are good math curriculum choices.

Here is my concern - my daughter really likes Horizon's and wants to continue - however - it just seems like a bit of a waste to me to buy it when I have Singapore on the shelf through 6th already bought & paid for. When I bought my son's - I ordered 2 workbooks, instead of just 1 - so I have everything - the textbooks, workbooks, MFW lesson plans, even the home instructor guides for Singapore. I could take it all to my co-op used book sale later this month - but I won't likely get much for it. And even though buying Horizon's isn't terribly pricey, it's still around $70 for a year - if I pre-order it at convention, this Friday. Even though that isn't the greatest amt of money to spend, we are always tight & really have to watch expenses.  So...I thought I'd see what some of your opinions are. She's bright and math is her easiest subject - so either is really fine. But it's about what she says she LOVES, or what I have right here, already paid for! Having a student say she "loves her math," is a great thing in itself for me, since my son struggles in it a bit more than she is.  Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

That's a hard choice and I'd say if it were me it would depend on how tight my budget was. Singapore and Horizon are both great programs so it's not like you're picking between bad and good. If my budget were tight but I could make it work I would get Horizons for her and I wouldn't get rid of Singapore but that's because I have four kids and could still use both, plus we do two math programs every year. It adds to my budget for sure but it's important to me so that they are as comfortable with different styles of math as possible. If I could afford it I would do LOF in the summer too.

And for what it's worth, you can sell your Singapore on Homeschool Classifieds or here and and they would sell well and quickly, especially if they are in good condition. I for one would be very interested ;)

I am in the same position!

My DD is doing well with Math Mammoth, but I had a copy of the first workbook for Horizons 2 on my shelf and she loved it! So I broke down and bought the teacher's manual and the second workbook, and she is having a great time with it. We still use Math Mammoth some, as I love the way they teach concepts, but mostly she is using Horizons.

Next year, I don't know what we're going to do. I have grades 1-6 of MM...but she's already begging for Horizons 3 :)

Maybe I can get the TMs used, at least.

Maybe I'm a pushover, but if she really loves one over the other...I would try to make that happen. If math can be somewhat enjoyable, that's (more than) half the battle.

I buy the Horizons TM's used at a homeschool convention for about $3-5 each. Might your used curriculum sale have them? Then I buy the workbooks on sale from Rainbow Resource (or Amazon or CBD if they are cheaper). That ends up being about $35 per year for Horizons.

Thank you to everyone - I really dug through Horizon's 4th today - and I, like her, still love that program.  However - I really loved some things about Singapore too.  I may just hang on to SM a bit longer and check out buying a used Horizon's TM on HSclassifieds...I've bought things like that before - I just have to be patient & wait for them.  Then I could even use them both - she loves math enough to do that.  Sometimes, I'm fairly certain, she'd chuck every other subject to just do math & science all the time!  If I do decide to sell - I'll post on HSclassifieds or here - I forget you can do that here!  Thanks again!