Menu

Famous Men Series.....

I've noticed that more than one publisher has edited the Famous Men.... Series and I was wondering if anyone has noticed if they are different from each other and if one is better than the other. For example.... I have Famous Men of the Middle Ages edited by Rob & Cindy Shearer. This year I've been using Famous Men of Rome and Greece by Memoria Press, and frankly, I love MP's presentation better. Love the artwork. So, I'm thinking about next year and how much I'm already spending on curriculum and should I buy MP's version, is it better or should I just stick with what I have?

I've noticed that more than one publisher has edited the Famous Men.... Series and I was wondering if anyone has noticed if they are different from each other and if one is better than the other. For example.... I have Famous Men of the Middle Ages edited by Rob & Cindy Shearer. This year I've been using Famous Men of Rome and Greece by Memoria Press, and frankly, I love MP's presentation better. Love the artwork. So, I'm thinking about next year and how much I'm already spending on curriculum and should I buy MP's version, is it better or should I just stick with what I have?

I don't know how much actual *editing* went on as I haven't compared them. The Shearers wrote the Guide to the "Famous Men of Rome" and the others, but I didn't think they had edited the actual Famous Men of... books. IOW, you're supposed to use their guides along with the Famous Men of... book. Does Memoria Press have extra guides, or do you just read "Famous Men of..."? (And I'm not criticizing when I say "just" read :-) )

I don't know how much actual *editing* went on as I haven't compared them. The Shearers wrote the Guide to the "Famous Men of Rome" and the others, but I didn't think they had edited the actual Famous Men of... books. IOW, you're supposed to use their guides along with the Famous Men of... book. Does Memoria Press have extra guides, or do you just read "Famous Men of..."? (And I'm not criticizing when I say "just" read :-) )

I have the Greenleaf Guides, which I use, but I do have "famous Men of the Middle Ages" by Poland and Haaren, "with five new chapters by Rob Shearer, edited and updated by Rob and Cyndy Shearer". And I have "Famous Men of Rome" by Haaren and Poland, edited by Memoria Press. I guess I'm wondering what their "editing" entails and if one version is better than the other, if there is a difference.

Upgrade to MP. The artwork is totally worth it. And I'm not usually a study guide girl, but MP's are good; interesting and worth the money. Do it.

I think I will. My oldest DS loves the Famous Men of Rome by MP and after looking at the Shearer one more closely, I think MP does a better job telling the story, even though they're different books. And yes, the artwork does make it worth it. I think I'll just suck it up and buy the package from MP.

I personally go with MP because I know that publisher makes a real effort to ensure the materials are acceptable to *ALL* Christians, no matter what the denomination. Greenleaf is a Protestant publisher and as a Catholic Christian, I'm leery of bias in their materials.